Hello all,
I came across an article by Bonnie on "Rules for Respite Caregivers" that was written well over a year ago. I am not a mother yet, in fact I am trying to make my way through college. I am however a Respite worker, and as well I work for IHSS. I also spent a year teaching at a special needs preschool that specialized in children with autism. I have to tell you I think you all are amazing women. Through my jobs I have seen parents selfishly toss their children aside, finding it "too hard" to handle their children with autism or other disabilities. Others refuse to admit that their child isn't "normal", forcing them into lives they consider normal. All the while the child suffers from not getting the care/attention he or she really needs. I know it isn't easy working with children with any disabilties,but I know that autism can be especially hard to deal with. I just wanted to write and let you know that I truly admire all of you.

P.S. - Not all Respite workers are bad.....but I hear you when you say most people think of Respite workers as "Glorified Babysitters"....nothing makes me angrier then someone telling me I babysit for a living.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank