logo
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Astronomy Jump to new posts
Re: 2024 - on this day in the past ... Mona - Astronomy Yesterday at 08:51 PM

On this day in 1968 – February 24th – the discovery of the first pulsar was announced. However, it wasn't until later that astronomers understood what the object was and gave it a name.

We now know that the mystery objects are fast-rotating neutron stars that emits a beam of electromagnetic radiation. We can only detect one when it's pointing towards us, rather like a lighthouse, so it seems to pulse. A neutron star is the remnant of a massive star following the collapse of its core in a supernova explosion.
89 5,189 Read More
Catholicism Jump to new posts
Re: Psalm for the day Angie Yesterday at 01:39 PM
“Blessed are they who follow the law of the Lord!” (Psalm 119:1)
585 159,872 Read More
Re: Astro Women - Birthdays Mona - Astronomy 02/23/24 04:02 PM
Svetlana Gerasimenko, born on February 23, 1945 in the Ukraine, is a Soviet Tajikistani astronomer. When she started her PhD in astronomy at Kiev State University, she was fascinated by comets. After completing the Phd, she was offered a job at the Astrophysics Institute of Tajikstan Academy of Sciences, where she remained.

In an interview with the BBC she said
I decided that I would never be a teacher, because I saw how hard it was to teach. What iron nerves are needed. I decided to enter the physics department, nuclear physics, [which] was then very popular. But she did not pass the medical examination, due to problems with blood pressure. The requirements for applicants were as if they were not recruiting nuclear physicists, but astronauts. I didn’t think long and entered the Faculty of Astronomy. I've always loved looking at the sky. And I have never regretted my choice for a minute.

Interestingly, her one great discovery actually occurred in the first year of her PhD. She was the co-discoverer of comet 67P, along with her professor, Klim Churyumov. This was in 1969 on an expedition to observe comets, including one known to be visible. But they weren't expecting to discover any new ones. It was only when they returned to the university that an unexpected comet was discovered on Gerasimenko's photographic plates. Cool, yet not a really big deal.

But 35 years later, their old discovery became a Very Big Deal indeed.

In 2003, ESA – the European Space Agency – had a spacecraft ready to meet comet 46P/Wirtanen in the outer Solar System, and accompany it as it came into the inner Solar System and rounded the Sun. Unfortunately, a rocket failure meant the launch had to be postponed. That meant they wouldn't be able to catch up with 46P/Wirtanen. So the Rosetta spacecraft would instead be hunting Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko and travelling around the Sun with it.

Both Gerasimenko and her former colleague Churyumov were invited to the Rosetta launch in Kourou, French Guiana. The Ariane rocket which launched Rosetta can be seen in the background.
68 171,992 Read More
Inspiration Jump to new posts
Re: Inspiration Quote Angie 02/23/24 02:05 PM
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
603 159,265 Read More
Birding Jump to new posts
Bird Buddy Angie 02/23/24 01:18 AM
I have a bird buddy. It is a feeder with a camera. There is a new blog out now too and the first article is about hummingbirds. Check it out.

https://blog.mybirdbuddy.com/post/five-reasons-why-hummingbirds-are-the-most-fascinating-birds
0 16 Read More
Sewing Jump to new posts
Sewing Ideas for St. Patrick's Day Cheryl - Sewing Editor 02/21/24 10:33 PM
Wearing the color green on March 17th is a way to participate in St. Patrick's Day festivities and supposedly a way to not be pinched by a leprechaun! Green colors cannot be seen by the mischievous fairy-like beings of folklore. St. Patrick's Day is viewed by many as a harbinger of spring as well.

Sewing Ideas for St. Patrick's Day
0 30 Read More
Re: From Candlemas to March Equinox Mona - Astronomy 02/20/24 08:20 PM
Candlemas to March Equinox

For nearly ninety years Pluto was our ninth planet. Then in 2006, much to the annoyance of some, it was no longer a planet, but a dwarf planet. What happened? Eris happened. Some called Eris and Pluto twin planets, but they are not twins.

Eris and Pluto - They're Not Twins
7 451 Read More
Drama Movies Jump to new posts
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary Angela - Drama Movies 02/20/24 01:57 AM
Amazon's Prime Video is producing a documentary of Roger Federer's career; in particular, the period just before his retirement. Originally, the footage was intended to be privately distributed to Federer's friends and family. Happily for Federer fans, of which I am one, the tennis great has decided to share with the public. Asif Kapadia, who won an Oscar for directing the Amy Winehouse documentary, is assembling the film.

Federer stated, "During my career, I tended to shy away from having cameras around me and my family, especially during important moments. But I didn’t see the harm in shooting this as it was never intended for the public. However, we captured so many powerful moments, and it transformed into a deeply personal journey."
0 43 Read More
Digital Art and Design Jump to new posts
Lined Note Paper Template for Digital Planner Digital Art and Animation 02/20/24 01:38 AM
In this Affinity Designer tutorial, we will create a simple paper layout for a notes page in a digital planner. This paper design will be the first layout design for our Digital Planner Template Kit. It will have a text placeholder for the title at the top of the page and lines for writing notes wit

Lined Note Paper Template for Digital Planner
0 29 Read More
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley Digital Art and Animation 02/20/24 01:21 AM
In this Skillshare course by Helen Bradley, entitled 20 Adobe Illustrator Color tips in 20 mins - A Graphic Design for Lunch Class, you will learn all about how to work with color in Adobe Illustrator.

Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
0 64 Read More
Start a New Document in Illustrator Digital Art and Animation 02/20/24 01:19 AM
In this Illustrator tutorial, we will learn how to start a new document. Our sample project is a digital cover for a planner such as GoodNotes.

Start a New Document in Illustrator
0 82 Read More
Digital Planner Grid of Dots Filler Paper Digital Art and Animation 02/20/24 01:18 AM
We are almost finished. The last filler paper that we will add to our template kit will be the dot grid. Basically it's the same process that we used for the other filler paper elements, except we will add dots over the canvas.

Digital Planner Grid of Dots Filler Paper
0 29 Read More
New Document Window Adobe Illustrator Digital Art and Animation 02/20/24 01:10 AM
If you are new to Adobe Illustrator, a fun way of exploring the workspace is to take a tour of the New Document window and check out some of the free project templates.

New Document Window Adobe Illustrator
0 31 Read More
Square Grid Digital Planner Template Kit Digital Art and Animation 02/20/24 01:08 AM
In this Affinity Designer tutorial, we will build the square grid filler paper for our digital planner template kit. For this paper, both the vertical and horizontal lines will be 16 pixels apart.

Square Grid Digital Planner Template Kit
0 252 Read More
Writing Lines Digital Planner Template Kit Digital Art and Animation 02/20/24 01:06 AM
One very basic design element that you will find in any digital planner template kit is lined paper for hand writing with the digital pen. We will create two versions of lined paper.

Writing Lines Digital Planner Template Kit
0 77 Read More
Planner Template Kit -Three Column Layout Digital Art and Animation 02/20/24 01:05 AM
Let's continue working on our two and three column layouts for our digital Planner Template Kit.

Planner Template Kit -Three Column Layout
0 19 Read More
Digital Planner Kit Design - Two Column Layout Digital Art and Animation 02/20/24 12:55 AM
In this Affinity Designer tutorial, we will begin building the gird layouts for our digital planner template kit. These are the Manuscript grid layout and the two and three column grid layouts.

Digital Planner Kit Design - Two Column Layout
0 22 Read More
Sewing Jump to new posts
Sewing Notions from Everyday Objects Cheryl - Sewing Editor 02/14/24 07:11 PM
Sewing notions include the expected small accessory tools like scissors, needles, pins, and soft flexible tape measures, however many unexpected items used in the process of sewing can be considered within the realm of sewing notions - even some surprising everyday objects.

Sewing Notions from Everyday Objects
0 65 Read More
Re: Top 10 Astro Stories of 2023 *new* Mona - Astronomy 02/14/24 12:59 PM

The year 2023 provided a lot of exciting astronomy. I listed the ones that I liked best.

Top 10 Astro Stories of 2023

It looks as though Venus may well not be a dead planet, but is still tectonically active. That doesn't mean you'd want to go there!
11 1,358 Read More
Drama Movies Jump to new posts
Re: Trailer for "Limbo" Starring Simon Baker Angela - Drama Movies 02/13/24 05:54 PM
Update: Music Box Films is releasing "Limbo" in the US. The film will open in New York City and Los Angeles on Friday, March 22nd, 2024. Music Box Films does have a streaming service, so I assume "Limbo" will be available there after its theatrical run.
1 489 Read More
Sewing Jump to new posts
Sewing as Practical Artistry Cheryl - Sewing Editor 02/07/24 04:55 PM
Learning to sew is a useful skill. Whether economics is a factor - saving money, or the satisfaction of self-reliance, or even a need for an outlet for creative self-expression, the knowledge that sewing skills can bring can satisfy many reasons for acquiring this most ancient of practiced crafts.

Sewing as Practical Artistry
0 65 Read More
History Jump to new posts
Re: Ark of the Covenant @ Stonehenge Angie 02/03/24 08:22 PM
INTERESTING
4 3,075 Read More
Sewing Jump to new posts
Valentines to Sew for Kids Cheryl - Sewing Editor 02/01/24 04:27 PM
Contemporary Valentine's Day, always observed on February 14th, encompasses the symbols of hearts and flowers, endearing child-made heart collages, chocolate sweets, notes of kindness, and of course, greeting cards expressing sentimental and romantic love. Kids love to be included on this happy day.

Valentines to Sew for Kids
0 101 Read More
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/24/24 03:51 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 02/24/24 08:39 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/23/24 11:02 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 02/23/24 09:05 AM
Bird Buddy
by Angie - 02/22/24 08:18 PM
Sewing Ideas for St. Patrick's Day
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 02/21/24 05:33 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/20/24 03:20 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 02/19/24 08:57 PM
Lined Note Paper Template for Digital Planner
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:38 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:21 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.