CONTAINER GARDENING TIP OF THE DAY

Here is a tip from Jessica Carson ex-Container Gardening Editor for Bellaonline.

I don't get these kinds of severe winters where I live so I thought that for those who do it would be useful to pass this on to you all again. Of course, there are many who do not have a garden per se, but for those who do she says:

If you live in an area with severe winters, consider burying your dormant plants to prevent the roots from freezing. The “Minnesota Tip” method may sound severe, but it may be the only way to winter over your roses, maples, hydrangeas, and other hardy deciduous shrubs and trees.

Dig a trench at least 15 inches deep (deeper, if needed, so that the entire pot will be buried when laying on its side) and as wide at the plant. Wrap or tie the branches of the tree together and tip the plant and container on its side into the trench. Cover with burlap, then cover completely with a 12-24 inch thick layer of mulch of straw or leaves. Top this off with a plastic tarp and rocks to hold it all in place. In the spring when the soil starts to thaw, dig out the plant, set it in a protected area of your garden and start watering. If it is fairly hardy it may very well reward you with new growth.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!