Ya Ta Say,

I was so surprised to find this other 'campfire' today. And to see that it was started back in February.

What a fantastic experience for you, Phyllis! I would say it was a once-in-a-life-time experience. I am sure the Native Americans would have thought it significant, as well, then and now. I, too, wonder in just what way.....

I would like to offer "The Eagle" from the book LAKOTA LIFE.

The eagle is a "winged" symbol for the Lakota people. It is the strongest and bravest of all the birds. For this reason, the eagle and its feathers have been chosen as a symbol of what is highest, bravest, strongest and holiest. It's feathers are given to another to honor them and they are worn with dignity and pride. They are treated with great respect and when one is dropped during a dance, a special ceremony is performed to pick it up again and the owner of it is careful never to drop it again.

It is also used to adorn the sacred pipe because it is a symbol of the Great Spirit who is above all and from whom all strength and power comes.

Eagle feathers or wings are used in special ways. When they are held over someone's head this means that the person is brave or that he is wished bravery or happiness. To wave it over everyone present is meant that everyone is wished peace, happiness, prosperity and a desire to help them get these things.

"Those who trust in God for help, will find their strength renewed. They will rise on wings like eagles, and they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow weak".
Isaiah 40:31

I am so glad that you shared your wonderful experience with us, Phyllis. Also, I had a wonderful time going back to the beginning and reading all the great stories. Pilamaya Vance and Phyllis.

Wakan Tanan Kici Un,
kimi kaya