Phyllis suggested I share some storied about my friend, (sister, teacher, Elder) Panther, who walked on last September. I loved her unconditionally and she returned that love to me and to David. We will miss her for as long as we live, but we know for a fact that she still comes to us for a visit now and again. One of the most outstanding qualities Panther possessed was her completely humble nature. Another one was her incredible sense of humor. She was always able to laugh at herself and never take herself so seriously that she couldn't enjoy life; even when she was so sick. I'll share some of the funny Panther stories - one at a time, every now and again as they come back to me.

Her husband was diabetic. He had diabetes as a child and by the time he was in his late 30's he required a multi-organ transplant. The diabetes has taken it's toll on his eyesight, but the transplants were an enormous success. It's been over 10 years now and he's doing fine. But, he really does have a difficult time seeing, even with his very thick eye glasses.

Even though she worried about him and fussed over him she used to play tricks on him and use his bad eyesight to her advantage when she was aggravated with him.

I remember one time, after a long day of drumming and singing at powwow, they'd had some words and while they were on their way back to their tent she decided to 'git 'im back'. She'd usually take the lead after dark since he couldn't see so well. This particular evening on their way back to camp she decided to take a 'detour' and led him under the low hanging awning of another's camper. Of course, she ducked down to miss hitting her head. John wacked his head twice as he passed through and had to follow Panther's cackeling the rest of the way back to their camp.

As I read through this, I realize it won't be as funny to folks reading it as it was to those who witnessed it or to those of us who heard the two of them telling the story. There's always something lost in the translation.

She was an imp. Always smiling, always sharing, always ready to do without so others in need could have enough. I never thought SHE had enough - maybe I just had too much. I love you, Panther and I miss you.