Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kitooze Offline OP
OP Offline

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Shark
Shark
N

Well, meet a fellow wierdo then. That's what I do. It's O.K. not everyone wants to have children. I am just so surprized to see how many of us there are. I mean HERE, on this site. This topic has been discussed in other threads.

I have passion for animals. I don't have that for having human children. It's just not there. It could be from the influence of a terrible mother plus the fact I wasn't around other children growing up and I never babysat. BUT I sure had a lot of animals. THEY were my friends AND family.

I would tell you about the disgusting things my mother did to me but I don't want to bring this thread down to that level.

Hang out with animal people. it's easier on your nerves. Or just hang out with animals. They are a lot more fun anyway IMO.

Kitooze Offline OP
OP Offline
Really, that's awesome to know I'm not alone, I guess I should have done a search first in the forums but it really never occurred to me that other people were like me. I will do that search now and see what others are saying. Thanks! Yes I love animals too, so much, my cats and dogs seem to have all the good things people love about their children without all the bad

J
Gecko
Gecko
J
That's actually very sweet of you to do for your friends but isn't hard to always keep that way of thinking when you're conversing with them?

Eh, I just couldn't do it. I'd let them go. Keep it at a "hi" and "bye" sort of relationship. But then I'm more of a loner anyway. People in general annoy the hell outta me.

I'm so glad you guys share my love of animals. They are my world. And much easier to deal with than children laugh

A
A

Kitooze Offline OP
OP Offline
No that's what I meant. People try to act like I'm making a choice to not want kids when really its just that I'm different inside. I can't change, I can either stand up and fight the fight, or I can fake it and live a lie and be miserable. Just like a person who's gay. And no one can seem to understand that. And gay people have been fighting this fight for much longer and there are even studies they could point to and our society is finally starting to see the truth, but for women who don't want children we are only just beginning our battle and we need studies to begin that can show people we are born this way. OK, so the comparison does not correlate 100%, but through all this stress and pressure I do feel I've gained a better understanding of what gay people go through. And to Jellyroll above, yes it gets so tiring and stressful, but I only have kept up with the friends/family who really try to make an effort to not talk a lot about their kids and to keep our relationship strong. I guess we're making effort from both sides so those are the people who are worth it to me.

H
H
Do y'all think there is a connection between people feeling an extreme closeness to and concern for animals (putting myself in this category) and NOT feeling that way about children? Seems interesting how many of us talk about feeling so, well, *maternal* about our dogs, but can't imagine feeling that way about a human child. Thoughts?

L
Shark
Shark
L
Originally Posted By: HereToTalk
Do y'all think there is a connection between people feeling an extreme closeness to and concern for animals (putting myself in this category) and NOT feeling that way about children? Seems interesting how many of us talk about feeling so, well, *maternal* about our dogs, but can't imagine feeling that way about a human child.

Thoughts?

no. to suggest that feeling close to pets and animals is a surrogate for not feeling that way about children is assuming that there is a deficiency of some sort. I am not deficient. I don't like kids. It is an option, not mandatory. If there is a gene lacking as you describe yourself, it is a superfluous gene not something that dictates one as being abnormal if it isn't there. The only thing abnormal about not wanting children is the society we live in making that the "normal" and making us feel "less than" for not agreeing.

My mother-in-law is baby crazy and treats her dogs like they are human children and that is messed up on both accounts!I love animals and I would do anything for my beloved pets, but I love them BECAUSE they are animals and not because they take the place of children in my life. They DON'T take the place of children in my life. I am not especially fond of any kind of pre-adult animal, but I dislike humans more than other animals. (Kittens and puppies are cute for a short time but I prefer cats and dogs.)

RavynG

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
N
Shark
Shark
N
I like the fact that when dealing with animals it's a lot simpler. Basic needs like food, warmth, shelter and a show of affection from you is all they want and need. Human children, GAH!!! It's so complicated and frustrating. I just couldn't do it. I don't WANT to so why should I??

I remember seeing some actresses whose lives were JUST what they wanted it to be THEN they decided to have children and they changed and not for the better. It seems once you have a child your whole life is up for all kinds of humilation and critisism from everyone and ANYONE who has an opinion.

Oh and what GETS me is seeing these actresses, Brooke Shields for one, who say their children ARE the most important things in their lives. Yea RIGHT. IF that was the case they'd be stay at home Moms and not out having a career. Raising children is a full time job with overtime. They pay other people to raise their children. I think they just have them for show.

Last edited by Navigaar; 06/23/09 12:45 PM.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I think I'm yet another person that has so many similarities to you, Kitooze, in the respect that I simply don't have it in me to be happy for people with kids. I respect their decision...but I just don't GET it. It's almost like I feel they are lying about their happiness because I could never imagine feeling that way. You explained my feelings on the matter.

I've never tried to think of those situations in the way you have, though. Usually I distance myself when the subject turns to kids with anyone I know (none of my friends have kids yet...we're all very early twenties). I don't mean to...I just have nothing to say. I don't feel what they're feeling, I don't think kids are cute, I don't think kids are anything special, and I don't feel pregnancy is anything special. I actually like getting quiet when the subject turns to kids...because then the conversation usually turns to something else after that because I have no response. smirk I might try what you've done, though.

And just one thing I want to say to LadyLvsNyt...I think that some child-free people (and non-child-free people) think of animals in different ways. You, for example, think it's messed up to think of animals as children. For me...I love my four cats more than anyone else in the world besides my husband...because I understand them better than I understand other humans. Like you had said and I agree with, I'd prefer any animal over people. I refer to my cats as my children...not because I feel I am maternal in any way, shape, or form, but because they are more family to me than any of my human family members or friends, and it feels more natural to call them my sons and daughters than my sisters and brothers. I'm certaintly not saying you're wrong for thinking your mother-in-law is messed up; that's your opinion, by all counts. I just think it's different for some people...we don't have to be maternal to feel closer to an animal than a human and call him or her our child.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.