Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#810056 03/07/13 07:48 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Have you considered a bird as a pet? They can make outstanding pets. They are highly intelligent and social. However, pet birds can also be destructive, loud, and demanding. A pet bird can also be very loving and affectionate. Find out if a pet bird is for you.

Birds as Pets

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
C
I have a quaker, he is almost 10.

cindylou #811221 03/14/13 07:48 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Quakers are wonderful birds. What is his/her name?

Amoeba
Amoeba

I have a rather odd situation. I have a parakeet that I have had for ten years. He is very loveable and is fond of people. He spends a lot of time alone during the day while I am at work, it bothered me, so a couple of years ago I bought him a friend, another parakeet. Everything was fine for about 9 months and then she just died. I felt horrible but I just figured it was an accident and buried her. About a year and a half later I got him another friend and the strangest thing was he died also. So now my original bird is alone again. Is this just a freak occurrence or is my bird doing something to them and prefers to be alone? I'm not sure what I should do.

Terry Lynn Kosse
Holistic Health
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I do not have any pets right now (for many years now sadly...i am not in a situation where i should have 1 now so im waiting until im settled to adopt) but I have had three birds. My first was a female Gray Cockatiel named Cocotte. Then a femal White Dove named Poupoutte. And the last was a a male Gray Cockatiel named GuiGui. Cocotte I was young for her and did not know nothing about pet shops so I bought he in one, she got sick but we did not know it so when she died (in my moms arms) it was a shock. Poupoutte was let outside (we never found out if it was an accident or not..she did have a ring that we asked to take off but our veterinarian never was able to find where it was she came from) and my mom caught her one day and we all decided to keep her, she got sick from a virus she caught when she was living outside and when she was suffering too much we put her to sleep. GuiGui was given to an old lady and she gave him up to our veterinarian and we adopted him not too long after knowing about him, he got a cancer and when he was suffering too much we put him to sleep. All of them except for GuiGui were very loving animals that loved to be with us and be touched. Doves sing a lot so if you do not want to hear a bird singing all day long they are not for you. Cockatiels are not very loud but when they do vocals they can be loud (with us it was mostly when excited we were back home or when they were scared by something they saw outside). All of our birds were kept in a closed room where they could be safe and not fly away. Cocotte was in our kichen and GuiGui too (he loved her but her not so much) and when she died he went to one of our living room that was for Poupoutte, my mom bought a sheer fabric to separate them so no fights happened. I loved having birds. If you are often at home then they are awesome pets but please do not get one if you are not often at home!

Amoeba
Amoeba

Well, I spend time with him everyday and their is always someone here at home it is just that I thought it would be nice if he had a companion in his cage. I also have the radio on at all times. I let him out so he can sit on my shoulder while I am on the computer. I was just curious why the other ones died. I have always had a bird or 2 and nothing ever happened like this. I also have a chihuahua that my bird is quite attached to.

Terry Lynn Kosse
Holistic Health
N
N
Where did you get the two birds that died? Depending on where they were could be the reason why they died like that. My poor Cocotte was from a petshop and the veterinarian could not even know with the autopsy what exactly she had (almost all her interior organs were rotten...she did not even looked sick) animals that are sold (i hate that sooo much...animals are alive theyre not objects) in pet shops come from horrible places and the transportation to the pet shops is horrible too. Or maybe you were just very unlucky. I know that a lot of the big birds are kidnapped while they are free then sent here in boxes with many of them (often packed to the max) so you could of got one or both of these birds like that. Either way it is very sad that both birds died so fast, at least they had a nice life when they were with you I am sure. If your bird seems happy like that it is okay that he does not have a bird friend with him. After all you are often there and when you are not there is someone else plus he has a dog friend so he is not really alone. Birds will go crazy if they spend all their time in a cage and/or alone.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Did you buy both the parakeets from the same store? Could be a genetic problem.

J
J
Nice one, nice article, it is very good on the points that which you have mentioned. I have a bird pet, a parrot named Robert. She is cute, she speaks a little bit. I spend a lot of time with her. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

S
S
Yes I considered bird as a pet. And I agree that birds are really have keen mind and nice attitude. I think birds are really loving like the other pets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.