Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
except no one tips only 8%...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Whether I can afford it or not, I have always felt it is so unfair paying someone based on them receiving tips.

Now at age 54, I can remember in my 20's getting good tips - so the $2 and some change I was getting hourly was not a big deal.

Being the chatterbox I am these days, I run across people who are being paid so little and with the recession little or no tips. Times are hard indeed.

There needs to be some law in place to protect these workers.

*** I hate going to places where a tip is expected - sorry this should be something I decide upon = I try to avoid these places frown ***

Great question and responses...

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 09/02/12 06:52 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
I have not double tipped, but I do take offense at restaurants that put their own gratuity on the bill. That is presumptious and rude, and not restaurants that I would frequent again. Restaurants make a profit just on the food as it is. The person being served should have the call on how much to tip or whether to tip at all, depending on the service.

I agree. In fact, when the tip in included, it is their loss because I always tip extremely generously. More than they tack on. If the tab is inexpensive, I don't tip the usual 20-25% because it would be too little.

I tip people who don't need to be tipped just to see them smile.

And it's not like I am wealthy because I have 0 in my bank account at this time. If I have it, I give it. If I don't, I can't so I don't.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lori, you are so generous.

I tend to be really miserly.

I am taking the advice of people in this thread and not eating places where I am waited on. But I did have a dilemma the other night. I went to a chinese buffet and did not take any soup or drinks or anything from the wait staff. I didn't see a need to make them work much, since I wasn't going to leave a tip.

At the last minute I rounded up the bill, but I still felt like I was guilted into it. I didn't have the guts to stick to my guns. frown

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have a new tactic. I take out my phone and use the calculator to determine exactly 15% for a tip. That way no one can really complain. What do you guys think?

Koala
Koala
To Jilly,

First if someone can afford going to a restaurant,she/he is not poor.
Second where I live we have a 15% tax added to our bill ,before the tipping.Federal 7% Provincial 8%.
So you take the special of the day $7.50 plus 15 % fed/prov taxes and then you tip the girl.So we are up close to $9. so we give a dollar.The Richer people give 2$ .This is for a noon Special 10 dollars.Imagine "a la Carte"

The other day I took 3 slices of french toast bread.$7.77 before tax before tip.That is not cheap.On our main street we have regular coffee going to 2.25$,thats regular plus 15 % tax plus tip no refils.

The average salaries here are from 10 to 12$.Try buying a house?

loong

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It is true that someone eating out isn't completely poor. No one HAS to eat out to live. It is a luxury.

Loong, 15% is a lot, plus tip. At least you have health care and education from that, though? In the US we pay around 10% and lack those services.

N
N
Finally I see people who can see that eating at restaurants means that you are not poor! I am so tired of people giving the excuse that it is cheap for when they eat fast food and give fast food to their kids. Eating out cost a lot of money. Tonight my parents had a few dollars so they bought fries at a little restaurant here and the cost was 4$ for three people so imagine if they would of got something else with these fries! I lost my job in July of 2009 and that same day my dad retired (i was working for him) and my mom too was working for him so we all lost our jobs on the same day. I still haven't found a job and my parents only have their retirement checks (this july my dad finally receive his big check so he has 2 by months but they dont amount to a lot...my mom was a housewife all her life so she has a very small check and she will maybe have a little more in march of this year). I am still living with them since I have no job and with the little amount I receive per months I could rent an appartment but only 100$ or less would be left for every months. After I pay the internet (im the only 1 who uses it), my cell phone, the satellite (my dad only listens to french channels and there are more in english), my pills and waxing once a month (its the only place i refused to cut [in half...i had to stop waxing for my tighs, belly and bikini...i think ill have to stop the rest soon]) there's not a lot left so no restaurants for me. And after my parents are done paying the other bills (thankfully they bought the house and paid it fully after we sold our old house BUT they did too many renovations so they had to take a loan then another 1...they always have done things like that and thankfully [and dont know how...i learned all by myself i guess] i never did stupid things with my money) there's not a lot left for food and gas so when we go out we plan ahead and make sure we run all our errands and have our appointments at the same time and we rarely get to eat restaurant foods. We actually can manage to eat without going hungry but it takes planning and looking carefully at the prices and the quantity when we buy our food. It is doable but it takes efforts and this is something not a lot of people want to do!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.