logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
LYS=Local yarn shop, in my community we have 5, our county is only 200,000 people strong, each shop is a bit different, but it is fabulous having a choice!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
J
In Montreal, there are a very few LYS who stayed through the lean years; they have recently (in the last five years or so) been joined by at least a half-dozen newer ones. Nicest of all is that the newer ones seem to be run by accomplished needle-workers who don't mind if the shopper wants high or low end products. Yes, it is fabulous to have a choice of yarn shops.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I agree, the yarn shops are much more customer service oriented than the previous ones. Classes, sit and knits, KAL, field trips. Almost like the ones in the novels!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
J
Koala
Koala
J
We only have one yarn shop in our city, which has a population of over 350,000! This yarn shop has a bad reputation as well because many don't like the owner.

We do live in a large area of north TX so there are other yarn shops if I want to travel quite a ways.

I'd love to see yarn shops do better financially so we don't lose them.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Wow only one, I don't believe there are a lack of knitters in Texas!

...hummm maybe you could start one......

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I have noticed something similar - for years, the LYS was on a back rural road in the owners home. She has since moved into town. Two other stores began carrying yarn, one a scrapbooking store and the other a quilting store. all of these stores offer classes and encourage folks to come and hang out with their knitting.
The scrapbooking one eventually closed up. The quilting store one looks like it is doing well. And the one that moved into town is also next to a coffee shop - you can bring your coffee in to the yarn store while you sit and knit on comfy couches. My community overall is maybe 100K people, so this is wonderful!

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
We have a fabulous LYS shop in our little town of 25,000. The name is Yarn Underground, their first store was in a tiny basement space. Last summer they moved to a "real" store and they have just the best selection. They do carry local yarn which supports local yarn artisans.
They commissioned me to design gift tags for them. I also carry them in my shop online. Wonderful, funny little tags to attached to your hand knitted garment.

Cheers
Ludmilla

**NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls to their posts!

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 02/12/13 03:51 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
That is nice that your town has a nice store, and one that supports local artisans. Is the local yarn locally dyed, or locally grown and spun as well?

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
Yes, they carry a large selection of locally grown yarn, locally spun, dyed, etc. I am hoping to place my yarn there as soon as it comes from the mill. Got my first batch of fleeces on the way to be spun. I am keeping some for hand spinning when time allows:)

NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls nor images of any kind to their posts or signature!

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 02/12/13 04:28 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I really enjoy the location of the LYS here. One is right by a good coffeeshop and nice consignment store. I can have my yummy mochas and take them in to the knitting shop while I sit there and knit. Just take my mug back when I am done.
I am curious about other LYS - how many of your local stores have unique items specific to the region you live?
Here in Fairbanks, qiviuq yarn and antler needles and hooks are carried. Knit purl piece shares how her locally grown yarn is carried at her store. What other specific local items are carried at your store?

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.