BellaOnline
LYS=Local yarn shop, in my community we have 5, our county is only 200,000 people strong, each shop is a bit different, but it is fabulous having a choice!
In Montreal, there are a very few LYS who stayed through the lean years; they have recently (in the last five years or so) been joined by at least a half-dozen newer ones. Nicest of all is that the newer ones seem to be run by accomplished needle-workers who don't mind if the shopper wants high or low end products. Yes, it is fabulous to have a choice of yarn shops.
I agree, the yarn shops are much more customer service oriented than the previous ones. Classes, sit and knits, KAL, field trips. Almost like the ones in the novels!
We only have one yarn shop in our city, which has a population of over 350,000! This yarn shop has a bad reputation as well because many don't like the owner.

We do live in a large area of north TX so there are other yarn shops if I want to travel quite a ways.

I'd love to see yarn shops do better financially so we don't lose them.
Wow only one, I don't believe there are a lack of knitters in Texas!

...hummm maybe you could start one......
I have noticed something similar - for years, the LYS was on a back rural road in the owners home. She has since moved into town. Two other stores began carrying yarn, one a scrapbooking store and the other a quilting store. all of these stores offer classes and encourage folks to come and hang out with their knitting.
The scrapbooking one eventually closed up. The quilting store one looks like it is doing well. And the one that moved into town is also next to a coffee shop - you can bring your coffee in to the yarn store while you sit and knit on comfy couches. My community overall is maybe 100K people, so this is wonderful!
We have a fabulous LYS shop in our little town of 25,000. The name is Yarn Underground, their first store was in a tiny basement space. Last summer they moved to a "real" store and they have just the best selection. They do carry local yarn which supports local yarn artisans.
They commissioned me to design gift tags for them. I also carry them in my shop online. Wonderful, funny little tags to attached to your hand knitted garment.

Cheers
Ludmilla

**NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls to their posts!
That is nice that your town has a nice store, and one that supports local artisans. Is the local yarn locally dyed, or locally grown and spun as well?
Yes, they carry a large selection of locally grown yarn, locally spun, dyed, etc. I am hoping to place my yarn there as soon as it comes from the mill. Got my first batch of fleeces on the way to be spun. I am keeping some for hand spinning when time allows:)

NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls nor images of any kind to their posts or signature!
I really enjoy the location of the LYS here. One is right by a good coffeeshop and nice consignment store. I can have my yummy mochas and take them in to the knitting shop while I sit there and knit. Just take my mug back when I am done.
I am curious about other LYS - how many of your local stores have unique items specific to the region you live?
Here in Fairbanks, qiviuq yarn and antler needles and hooks are carried. Knit purl piece shares how her locally grown yarn is carried at her store. What other specific local items are carried at your store?
I really wish we had something like there where I live. Kind of a fun destination where you can relax and spend some time.

It is odd that Arlington has only one yarn shop. there is only one bead shop too that I know of. When I go home to Oregon to visit, I can find both yarn and bead shops all over the place.

I order a lot of yarn from Etsy.com from the people who actually spin and dye it. It is nice though to go to a good yarn store and drool over the fabulous fibers and textures!
That is odd that Arlington would have only one such store. There is so much farming and harvesting all through Texas, that I would think a fiber industry would be present - throughout the State! I remember reading someplace about the number of sheep farms in different states, and Texas was very high on the list. With all of those farms, I would think some local producers would want to sell in state at places like LYS, in turn creating more of a market.
Perhaps this could be a good business idea for someone in Arlington.
the stores all of Oregon are a great example of what I am talking about here.
Yes, you're right. I wonder why nobody has thought of creating such a store. Or even a co-op type of store from various Texas artisans. I would certainly shop there.

In southern Oregon, I can buy alpaca yarn, for instance, which is from alpaca ranches in the local area.
what is LYS?
LYS stands for Local yarn store. It would be a locally owned, small business as compared to many of the mass retail box stores such as Jo-Anns, Hobby Lobby or even Wal-Mart.
© BellaOnline Forums