Next Thread
Print Thread
#793262 11/18/12 10:01 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I LOVE sushi but it can get expensive so I only eat it occasionally. I've seen sushi making kits at various supermarkets but I'm not the creative type so I've stayed away.

Has anyone here tried to make their own sushi? If so, do you have any tips?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yes, I make my own sushi all the time. The Japanese have turned sushi into an art and one cannot himself a true sushi chef without years and years of training.

The Japanese of different regions have their own slightly different versions as well as the Koreans.

The nigiri type, the small pieces topped with sliced fish, is easier to make. The cut rolls will require some rolling practice along with some special tools.

When it comes to homemade sushi, the cost is in the fresh, fresh, fresh fish! Although rice prices have gone up, the rice vinegar, salt and sugar are cheap. It's the type of fish you want to use that will cost you money. You must buy sushi-grade fish which means that the shipper understood that the fish will be eaten raw.

Here is a little primer:

Sushi Basics

Main Types of Sushi

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thank you so much for the helpful information. I hadn't even thought about the nigiri sushi. I was immediately thinking about making the rolls. As far as the cost, I could even get by on some of the cooked-type rolls like California rolls, shirmp tempura, spicy crab etc.

One of the major grocery stores here is Publix and they have a full-time sushi chef on duty daily. It's one of my favorite things to stop in there and grab a roll or two for lunch!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Well, the simpler way besides nigiri is to make those hand rolls. Single serving hand rolls. Easy. And you can fill with all of your favs like shrimp tempura, spicy tuna or crab, cooked shrimp. Teriyaki chicken or beef strips. Radish sprouts, thinly cut cucumbers. There are all types of hand rolls!

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
C
C
I have made sushi many times. My problem was rolling the rolls tight enough, but after a while I got the hang of it. The other thing I noticed was that I ended up making WAY too much - and it isn't something you want to keep in the fridge for more than a day. So hand rolls are a great way to go as you can just buy a small piece or 2 of fish and then use the tips from Lori-Dreams - teriyaki, shrimp and veggies. Good luck!

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I found using one of those sushi rolling mats was the trick to getting a tight roll. They are pretty inexpensive at many Asian Markets, or as part of a kit.
I like the freedom to add whatever I want to my rolls when I make my own sushi.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.