Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#778237 08/18/12 01:42 AM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
A high unemployment rate can have undesirable results on an area - the crime rate increases.

Do you agree?

I have created a poll - hope you participate and leave a comment wink

Career Aptitude Test
Career Change
Career Coaching Training
Career Counseling

Does crime increase due to high unemployment?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 08/18/12 01:36 AM
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I've put 'no'. Mind you you will have to define crime as it's a big subject theft? mugging? fraud? scams? If most people weren't law abiding society just wouldn't work.

Mind you having said that on some of my visits to the US I have had people try the old "$20 for petrol" con- possibly trying to set me up for a mugging too. Also have had to gently warn off sharp-eyed predators 'hanging about' possibly with an eye to bag or chain snatching from my less aware family members.

Last edited by Ninjahedgewych; 08/18/12 03:09 AM.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
To some extent crime has actually dropped! Possibly due to lower lead in the atmosphere, better security systems, or even people just being more aware.

Equally it could be due to incarceration becoming a business in it's own right.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Well, well - look who decided to visit!!!!

Thank you Ian for your awesome comment. I am going to experiment with replying within your quote as I do tend to forget what I want to say - yep, those senior moments/lol.

I hope I don't confuse everyone too much - okay here goes - see below wink

Originally Posted By: Ninjahedgewych
I've put 'no'. Mind you you will have to define crime as it's a big subject theft? mugging? fraud? scams? If most people weren't law abiding society just wouldn't work.

You are so right - crime does involve a lot of things. Hmmm, never thought of that. If anyone wants my "two cents" worth - I think the scams have increased and the sad part is that they are focused on the desperate job hunters. LOL, I no longer deal with the online job sites as I finally figured out that they post job ads and do not care if the job really exists. For example, a lot of "id" thefts are happening from information taken from "online" resumes. I caution folks on my "How To Survive Unemployment" site to not provide personal information like phone numbers and addresses until they are sure the job posting is valid. I had challenged CareerBuilder about a year ago about one of their ads just to see if they care. Yes, they took down the ads for a while (one of their largest clients) but put it back up claiming they had investigated. Yikes - that is when the "light bulb" went on in my head - these jokers will post an ad for anyone that pays them. I am hoping more people will challenge these "bogus" ads and maybe boycott certain sites to make a point. Until such time I now find my own job openings the old fashioned way - networking and using my feet and hands to knock on someone's door. Yes, the online routine is ever so convenient but I am in my 50's and see too much heartache every day from folks that got their identity stolen through their resumes. In ending, I marvel at the boldness of some "bogus" sites asking for your social security number. Oh no! They will get that when I am in their chair filling out paperwork. And even then I am leery.

Mind you having said that on some of my visits to the US I have had people try the old "$20 for petrol" con- possibly trying to set me up for a mugging too. Also have had to gently warn off sharp-eyed predators 'hanging about' possibly with an eye to bag or chain snatching from my less aware family members.

LOL, crime is worldwide and I tell people visiting my island (Jamaica, West Indies) to try to go with a group. Why? Hopefully the tour guide will know the areas to stay out of. I as a local will not visit some areas - hey, love my life and want to be around to see my future grandkids. Bottom line, even when the economy is great - you have to use commonsense when you are out and about. My 25 year old daughter (only child) thinks I am crazy, and I have had to back up and not worry as much - but she takes some serious chances with her safety. Bottom line, if something happens to her - I will know in my heart I did try to teach her to be careful. I have never been mugged, raped, robbed or had my place broken into. I love my life, but use caution with my surroundings.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Ian:

Thanks for sharing this link with us and I stopped by to glance at the article.

Yes, the jail/prison has become a total joke. I no longer look to the system as so many victims do get their time in court only to end up with zero.

My take on all this - take steps to PROTECT yourself so that you hopefully do not become a "victim"...

It is like the "victims" have no right. Example - if you shoot someone that is breaking into your home, you may be the one that goes to jail. Yikes!!!! frown

Never been to jail and have no interest in going.

To some extent crime has actually dropped! Possibly due to lower lead in the atmosphere, better security systems, or even people just being more aware.

Equally it could be due to incarceration becoming a business in it's own right.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Sadly you are right about the scams being practiced on the unemployed. I get the 'Scambusters' newsletter - or used to until we started getting computer hardwear problems- which details a lot of these types of subterfuge. I haven't had the chance to visit Jamaica yet, but one of my friends at work got married out there, and I have read Robert Barrett's And De Fun Don't Done both sources concur on the level, and type of crime on the island frown

In the UK things seem a lot quieter than most of the rest of the world. The gun control thing means that most amateur 'crims' firearms are replicas, and someone even being threatened with a knife makes the local newspaper. Most of the violence is drink/drug related and seems to be confined to the inner cities, or remote villages.

My council job, fitting safety equipment for the under fives' over sixties, and installing devices to help the sensory impaired takes me into a few of the 'rougher' areas of Portsmouth. Still very sedate compared with London. Although the Bellaonline Gathering took place in London at the same time as last years riots and I don't think any of the editors saw or heard anything about them at the time!

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Ian:

Thanks SO MUCH for sharing with us about your side of the country. I always ENJOY hearing about what is going on worldwide.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
A pleasure Angela. Crime differs from country to country and region to region within the country. Having lived in Iraq, Mexico, China, Japan, and Hungary at various times it's interesting to see what's 'normal' for them and the precautions people take.

On my visits to the US all the houses do seem very vulnerable with poor outside lighting and limited lines of sight from the front door. The doors and walls don't feel that strong either. I will have to write an article on home protection from both the magickal and earth plane perspectives. smile

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
Ran into a problem early on - we have to "define crime" as "it's a big subject".

Hmmm... someone asks if it is or includes "theft? mugging? fraud? scams?" Gosh, tough question. Let's see, Is theft a crime? Yes, so that's included. How about mugging, could that be a crime? Sure, it probably includes an assault, a battery, and a theft, actually a robbery, so yes, mugging is a crime, so indeed mugging is included. How about fraud? Certainly there's such a thing as criminal fraud, so we can include that too. Scams are usually defined as frauds, so we can include them too. How about that! Every thing suggested is a crime, so they can all be included when we say crime.

Here's an idea- how about we define crime as criminal activity? That's not too much of a stretch is it?

Now that we have a proposed acceptable definition of crime as criminal activity, hope this helps the discussion can move forward.

Last edited by FrankJBN; 08/21/12 09:42 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Quote:
For example, a lot of "id" thefts are happening from information taken from "online" resumes

In addtion to the 'Scambusters' site, this one from "Scamwarners" seems to be carrying the best and most up to date information on employment and other scams.

Hope it helps! smile

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.