Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Joan541 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
J
About a month ago, I suddenly noticed that one of my cat's ears was swollen. I took him to the vet and he said it was a hematoma, where blood and fluid get into the ear flap and swell up. It's due usually to a scratch from the cat himself or another cat.

They suggested a $500 surgery to drain and close the flap. The vet said it would harden and create a "cauliflower ear". Well, my cat is 15 and I didn't think he would even survive a surgery like that so I took him home and googled natural remedies.

I found one called Yunnan Baiyao. It's a powder used in chinese medicine and can be used for people, dogs and cats. I made a paste with it and applied twice a day. Since this hematoma was already about 10 days old when I received the powder in the mail, I think it took longer to work, but it IS working. The hematoma is draining slowly.

since I had to wait for my order to come (got it on Amazon) I applied arnica gel to it, which also helps hematomas to be absorbed. I had this on hand already.

I also applied this to my dog during this time. She got a staff infection from licking at a rash she had. She got antibiotics but the vet said it might take two doses as it's a stubborn thing to get rid of. With the Yunnan Baiyao paste, the entire red, ugly patch was gone in a week so no more antibiotics!

Just thought this might help someone else. I plan to keep this on hand from now on.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Thank you for the info that's good to know
I hope the kitty's ear heals well
Was he in any discomfort
Just checked my cat Asia's ears all looks good
Hoping good health to the kitty

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for sharing that info. I use homeopathy on my cats and it is nice to know another helpful remedy.

How your kitty's ear is healing and he is feeling much better.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I used this remedy on my cat's ear. He had the same problem. It worked! I now keep this powder around and am giving it to my 12 year old lab who has a benign tumor on her anal canal. It was seeping until I started giving her this powder and now it's dried up.

My cat's ear is a little misshapen now but it saved me a lot of money from surgery, plus it saved him the trauma of the surgery too. he doesn't mind his ear a bit!

thanks so much for the tip. I too use natural remedies and try to boost my pets immune systems to fight things when possible.

C
C
That is a great tip - I wish I had read your post before spending $350 to get my cat's ear drained! He is still a little traumatized by the experience, I should have thought to google it :(

J
Joan541 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
J
I google every one of my pet issues to see if there are any natural remedies. Sometimes there aren't any but many do work.

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.