Print Thread
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I am reading a great book excerpt given to me at the recent SHRM conference. The book is called Change Anything. It talks about how we blame our inability to change (weight, smoking, etc...) on willpower and that is false - because it does not give us anything to fall back on when we fail. It's known as the "willpower trap".

The authors state the reason why we are not as successful as others is not just because of willpower. Those who succeed "innately or consciously" actively align "sources of influence" in their favor. The book is talking about the influencers of:
Personal Motivation
Personal Ability
Social Motivation
Social Ability
Structural Motivation
Structural Ability.

Wow..what an awesome book!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
What if you can't see it? I know several people with no conscious visual imagination.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Good question, but I'm not sure I understand...So you're saying they can't set goals because they can not envision or visually change?
I personally have never met anyone like that, to me everyone I know has some goal, even if it's to be happy or cook a dinner at the end of the day. But great question and I look forward to the insight of other posters.

But it really is a good book - to me - about having the power to change.

Thanks! :-)

Last edited by Dianne W - Editor; 07/24/12 06:00 PM.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Quote:
Good question, but I'm not sure I understand...So you're saying they can't set goals because they can not envision or visually change?

Yes. To the extent that when working with them in trance all the suggestions and other therapy I do is completely inaccessible to their concious mind provided I work mainly with images.

Outside therapy this type of person makes a great musician, massage therapist, or martial artist. But frequently fails in business due to not being "Able to see the big picture" or "Take the long view".

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
O
O
It seems to be a best seller for inspiration. It's also has a point, if we have inner goal line, that's the best remedy. We can boost & augment with inner aspirations. If we posses self-capability & self-inspiration to achieve something, then there is nothing a "impossible" word. We can also observe the effective individuals; obtained huge status, are always motivated from within. If we have inner motivational levels high, we can endeavor difficult to also accomplish our objectives, further we will build confidence to achieve everything in life. There will not be a single person without goals & objective, even animals & birds have their goals. A housewife not operating at all will also have goal of raising kids & other household obligations. Even children will have their own goals like grades in exam, being institution prompt, being qualified with all peers etc. So, having inner targets & inner motivation to achieve them is the only indicates of achievement. Also, we should always love our efforts, as in we should be satisfied with our performance & have craving to further develop. Now for instance, i was able to even crack my exams with gud grades due to inner impetus. Success is one thing which is not instantaneously, you have to give your very best, pursuit your goals & pay attention to inner reaction.

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.