logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gecko
Gecko
When I lived in Kenya I simply used a bar of soap and a scrub brush to wash my clothes in a plastic basin (shallow bucket). I would rinse my laundry two times. I washed everything by hand including sheets. A plunger would have been a great idea if I had had one.

I would take all the used water and throw it into my outhouse (choo) to wash it a bit. The choo was like an outhouse, except there was only a hole in the floor that you would try to get your business into.

Anyway, I would throw the water into the choo as hard as I could so it would swirl around some before it went down the hole.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jeanne, that is just such a cool story. I love how even the used wash water would have yet another use to clean out your choo.

Sheets probably took some time to clean. Although maybe they were just twin sheets? We have awfully large beds in the USA. Is the soap you used the same as your body soap, or was there a laundry soap for that?

What kind of scrub brush? I find this all fascinating.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
My sheets would have been for a full sized bed.

The soap was actually a bar of laundry soap and it was a regular scrub brush like this -

The brush definitely made handwashing a lot easier. Better than rubbing my hands raw.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Huh, neat. No washboard then, just a little pan?

I got some water today from Catholic Charities. I filled up my portable jugs - about 25 gallons. Lots of water lugging! So I have enough water to do a laundry tomorrow. I will use my fabulous wonder wash. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I borrowed a hand agitator once to felt a knitting project - it was too gentle to be good for felting, but I could tell it would totally get clothes clean. so, it stands to reason that if the hand agitator was too gentle for felting, it would be much easier on your clothes than a standard washing machine. They look like a plunger. I had running water at the time for the felting project, but I think even the hand agitator could have made my no plumbing days easier.
Back when I did soap making I saved all of the soap that didn't turn out just right for laundry and especially for knit felting projects. Worked great!

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, I have seen those plunger type washers - is your plunger part blue? On Amazon they call it the Rapid Washer.

I did a load of dishtowels, toilet cloths and tee shirts today with my wonderwash.

I have a thread here where someone included a nice Wonderwasher photo so I am putting my wonderwasher clothes washing notes here.

If anyone is curious what this looks like, go to that link to see the photo.

I use mine outside so it doesn't matter if things get a little splashy. The water i use for the laundry came from the rains, and into my barrel. Then i dump the used wash water on my thirsty trees. I feel like an entire ecosystem! It makes me feel good about my habits.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.