logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Lisa - Moms #750655 03/11/12 09:26 PM
F
F
Thanks for the article, completely agree with you. Kids pick up the craziest of things. My little boy likes to rip up any paper that falls into his hand and my mum was trying to teach him that we flip the pages of the book and not rip it. But something like licking her finger to turn the page we do without thinking, and surprise surprise that was the only thing that he picked up lol!! Also kids know when you are paying attention to them and when you aren't, my twins are 14 months and they could be playing happily together with me just watching from far away, but as soon as I reach to get my cell phone they come racing and want to be picked up and through the phone on the floor. Completely true kids are always looking and learning especially when we do not know that they are.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Lisa - Moms #751262 03/15/12 09:57 AM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
ha! very funny, Fab Gemz Designs!

It is amazing to watch the world through the eyes of a child.

There is some law about children, moms, and cell phones and another one about children, moms, and bathrooms. They could be sitting there playing for an hour without acknowledging you, and as soon as you pick up the phone - they're there. They need something.

Same goes for the bathroom. You walk quietly away to go to the bathroom, and there they are! All of a sudden, they're hungry. They have a question. They need you!!!

smile
thanks for writing!!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Lisa - Moms #751935 03/18/12 08:42 PM
H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
I wasn't too excited about my tweens having cell phones, and since I didn't use mine much I wasn't sure they needed one. Now that they are older, in after school sports and visiting with friends who drive, I love having the ability to text with them while I'm still at work to find out where they are, who they are with, and what they are doing. It took a few trials to make them believe they REALLY had to answer texts from mom and dad, but they got it. And, no, we don't text while driving. That's scary.

Lisa - Moms #752724 03/21/12 10:22 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Heidi -

You bring up a good point regarding when tweens/teens/etc should have cell phones - especially in today's time.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Lisa - Moms #752731 03/21/12 11:33 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Another great article Lisa.

Great topic. My kids are real stinkers if I am too distracted with other adults, on the phone or in person.

As a homeschool mom sometimes I need more adult interaction and get too carried away, but the girls reel me in and force me to re-focus quickly.

While I am not guilty of any of the cell phone crimes you mentioned, I giggle at the playground portion.

Today, at the playground, I decided to journal. "Look mommy, look," is what I kept hearing. Finally, I gathered all three to the spot I was sitting in and said, "Look. Look at me." I wrote a few lines in my journal and finally I asked, "Would you like to spend the rest of your visit watching me journal?" "No," was the response. "Okay, then. I am watching you, but I do not want to watch every thing you do for the rest of our playground visit," I said with a smile.

The next five minutes were wonderful. wink

Thanks again Lisa.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
Lisa - Moms #753978 03/28/12 03:15 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I LOVE it......

"Today, at the playground, I decided to journal. "Look mommy, look," is what I kept hearing. Finally, I gathered all three to the spot I was sitting in and said, "Look. Look at me." I wrote a few lines in my journal and finally I asked, "Would you like to spend the rest of your visit watching me journal?" "No," was the response. "Okay, then. I am watching you, but I do not want to watch every thing you do for the rest of our playground visit," I said with a smile."

I'm going to try that some time.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Lisa - Moms #759176 04/24/12 05:07 PM
C
C
This article is amazing and well said. But, I must say, it is a shame that it actually has to be put into writing. You would think some of these things are common sense (don't answer phone while dining, driving, keep an eye on your children, etc.).

Lisa - Moms #759185 04/24/12 06:33 PM
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
To all,

This morning read an article on cell phones and texting.They made a test with hidden cameras in girls and boys car.
45% of the girls were caught texting,notwhitstanding playing with the radio ,checking their lipsticks.That 45% did not include while talking on the phone ,just the texting.

Boys were a bit better 30% were caught texting and talking on their phones.

There has been already many deaths and severe body dammage to people who were texting.

What to do ,I ask you.?

loong

Lisa - Moms #759402 04/26/12 08:58 AM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
This is somewhat of a new era for parents. I strongly believe that the best way to teach our teens not to text while driving is to refrain from doing it ourselves.

Let them watch the Distracted Driving video about people who have been impacted by distracted driving:
Distracted Driving

Here is a pledge to avoid distracted driving:
Take the Pledge

Our most powerful teacher is experience, but we certainly don't want our teens experiencing the negative consequences of distracted driving.
Cell phone use comes with responsibilities and if your teens aren't upholding your cell phone standards, there should be consequences.

Easier said than done - I know.
Does anyone else have ideas for engraining this into our teens?

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.