Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sam B. Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Hey there everyone, I just thought I'd ask this to see what comes back to me. I've always been offended by some things people say in response when they learn you do not wish to be a parent. Especially if you are a woman and you say you have no desire to be a mother. It seems as though most people still think that's every woman's goal in life. So I just thought I'd ask this: What are some of the most idiotic, annoying, offensive, funny or cliched responses you've gotten from people once you tell them you're not planning to have any kids? And why?

I'll say mine. The most irritating and offensive reply that I get when I say I don't want to have any kids would probably have to be "You'll change you're mind when you get older." It's something I'm sure we've all heard at one point or many points in our lives, so it kind of becomes an annoying mantra after a while. The reason it bothers me so much is because it's like people who tell you that are saying you lack the mental capability to make a proper choice on your own because you're young and even more offensively, it implies that you'll one day see the error of your ways and turn into a real adult by wanting to be a parent.

Last edited by Sam B.; 12/17/11 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
We've covered this topic here in the past, so I know you are going to get some great responses.

Here is what annoyed me the most when I would hear it:

"You become selfish if you don't have children".

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
S
Sam B. Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Oh see, I didn't know...sometimes you have to go pretty far back in the list of posts to find something similar. I figured that it may have been done before though. I know...kinda unoriginal

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I've heard them all, but my newest most annoying one is when I tell people I'm not having kids and I've had my tubes tied, then I get back "They can undo that" or some variation there of.

Really? REALLY? It makes me want to go in there, rip out my ovaries, hold them up for all the world to see and yell, "UNDO THIS, @#$%^&*!!!"

S
Sam B. Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Women who don't want kids don't really need their ovaries for anything...why can't they just remove the whole damn thing like they do when they fix a dog. They'll remove a cat or dog's reproductive organs with out any qualms when they're but a few months old, but for whatever godforsaken reason they won't even preform a surgery to tie a woman's tubes when she's an adult who's fully capable of making her own decisions.

And what reason do vets and Humane Society professionals have for taking out the reproductive organs of an animal? To control the population! For god sake, we'll worry about over-population of every godforsaken animal on this planet except ourselves!

P.S. ---Doyln...Still dying from laughter at your comment!

Last edited by Sam B.; 12/17/11 06:46 PM.
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Originally Posted By: Sam B.
Women who don't want kids don't really need their ovaries for anything...

Damn right! In the past I didn't mind getting my period, but lately, I REALLY hate it and dread it! I really do, and I'm not regular! But when I do, I have painful periods with ALL the symptoms 2 weeks before and 4 days of the actual thing, so I suffer during almost 3 weeks. Every time, I think "why do I have to go through this if I don't even want kids?" I can't wait to have menopause - I'm actually wishing for an early one!!

Anyway, back to the topic. I'm lucky in that ppl around me have respected my choice and I've never gotten a nasty comment. I've actually had a lot of ppl backing me up. But, a comment I would definitely not like is if someone told me that I would regret it. That would be very offensive.

Last edited by gullivera; 12/17/11 10:27 PM.
S
Sam B. Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
gullivera ...I know! I am almost exactly like that. My stomach cramps for a week before the main part ever starts and then it's even worse. I seriously am in unrelenting pain for around 2 and a half weeks! I have to take 4 ibprofen every couple hours to even make it bearable. But if I go to any doctor and ask if they can just tie my tubes and end the suffering, they laugh at me! No one will even consider it at this point because I'm only 21 and it's ridiculous I have to be in this amount of agony for no reason. Actually, that's another of my most annoying reactions that I get to saying things that even indicate I don't want to have kids.

T
T
When getting my taxes done, the employee asked me if I had children. I said "No." She then in turn asked me "What's your problem." I so wish my husband was with me so he could put her in her place. Luckily that business does not exist any longer.

D
D
My favorite is "Why?" or better yet: "WWWHHHHYYYYYY??????" This is always coming from a stranger, so its extra funny. My usual response is "Do I know you?" Seriously, its an incredibly personal question. I will discuss this with good friends and family members, maybe. Certainly not with some medical assistant I have never seen before or again. Secondly: REALLY? Can you not think of ONE good reason why someone maybe didnt want a child? I might as well say the sky is green: people are INCREDULOUS about someone not wanting a kid. Like somehow what I really meant to say is "Yes, I want a kid" but mixed up Yes with NO. Hilarious sometimes!

C
Shark
Shark
C
Someone asked how long I had been married, I said two yrs. (this was a long time ago), and he asked if I had any kids....I said 'no and I'm not going to have any'. He asked why, and I said because I didn't want any. His response was 'well, that's very selfish'. This was a total stranger. mad I was young and naive at the time. Believe me, if anyone said that to me today I would give them a piece of my mind...in no uncertain terms.

We were at a social event last evening. A new aquaintence asked if I have any children ...I said "no, my kid is (insert house address which is our winter home)'......cause if I had kids I certainly wouldn't be able to own two residences! Anyhow, this was quite an elderly lady who also happens to be childfree.....we had a good laugh.
cp

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.