#712461 09/05/11 12:22 AM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I had to evacuate my home this afternoon.

I live in a pine / oak forest between two state parks, on a Christmas tree farm. It's beautiful here. A horrific wildfire broke out this afternoon - worst drought on record, very high winds - and I had to evacuate my home.

The fire's now destroyed more than 16,000 acres, several hundred homes, is 16 miles long, 4 miles wide, and spreading like crazy. Satellite and doppler radar images show the smoke cloud almost 100 miles long. A windy but dry cool front is expected just after midnight, making tomorrow's weather conditions even more volatile but probably no cooler than the high 90s. Search Twitter for #bastrop and #txfire for updates.

We've had more than 80 days of 100+ temps since May. Texas has had many wildfires this summer but the officials are calling this one a fire of 'biblical proportion.' That's not a very cool record to hold but it's so ugly I hope it isn't broken elsewhere. Ever.

I'm safe and I've got my two beloved dogs here with me but I couldn't find the cat when I had to leave. I miss her terribly and hope I can find her safe and healthy when I'm allowed back in the area. I've got plenty of her food and her favorite treats with me. I just hope I get to feed them to her someday very soon.

The men who stayed behind to fight the fire said they'd watch for her but they've got a lot of things on their mind. The Christmas tree farm burned early this evening. I don't know the status of my home but I do many neighbors' homes are gone. Last I heard about my house was that's it's still OK . . . for now. That was several hours ago.

Funny how I woke up expecting an uneventful, boring day. I know that I'll wake up tomorrow to a whole new life.

If you had a two-minute warning to leave your home, possibly forever, what would you take?

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Just got the call. My house will soon be gone.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Ah no Sandy...

God I'm just well with you in Spirit. I've lost a home before and it's nice, I mean they mean well, when people say sorry to hear it. But inside it's like, well, a different planet, really. I know 2 other people, personally, now 3, that have lost their homes, due to fire, finances, flood, etc.

Are you set temporarily?

You asked above what would you bring if you have 2 minutes to evacuate a home. Due to my past experience, I usually have a duffle with a plastic hygeine bag, pj's, underwear, sweats, shorts, t-shirts, jeans, tenni-shoes a few sodas, water bottles, ear plugs, mask and small blanket.

On my way out the door however. I'd probably grab a bottle of Vodka this time around, the cash I have in the house jar, my laptop and purse.

I don't have any animals right now, but I used to. Before any of my own stuff, I'd always have a bag and dishes for them though in the car just in case.

Please keep in touch and let us know how it's going ((virtual hugs))!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Oh Sandy what an absolutely horrible experience for you and everyone else there, how I wish that there was some way to help you. Thank goodness you are OK that is the main thing, and you managed to take your loved dogs. Cats are clever creatures, they seem to have an inbuilt antenna for avoiding danger, am sure yours will be by you soon munching away on those treats.

What to take with just two minutes notice you asked in your first post��.when the boys were small and at home it would have been them, these days it would be rounding up pets as far as possible, the last photo of my mother and father together and those of the boys when small which are always in one place and are irreplaceable, nothing else would be important.

In an emergency somehow �what is really important� seems obvious.

You take care, I am far away but you are in my thoughts and I do so hope things turn out to be better than they seem at the moment................we still have all those moon cocktails to work through. smile

Francine

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 09/05/11 02:03 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Your post makes me laugh - and I'm loving it. I'm set tonight but hadn't really, really expected to worry too much about too many tomorrow nights. I'll think about other tomorrows tomorrow.

The duffle? I grabbed my computer, which is really my office; provisions for my two dogs and my missing cat; and some clothes. All my favorite clothes were dirty so I grabbed the dirty clothes hamper before checking out the closet. Never thought about shoes. I've got a pair of flip-flops I like a lot but I've also got two sisters and a mother who all have the same style (basically) and we're the same size. The clean clothes I ended up with? Two bras and two skirts - it can only get better from here. My emergency duffle will be much better stocked from tomorrow forward.

The vodka? Didn't have any but had just received a couple bottles of Glenfiddich Scotch for review articles. Grabbed them. Expect a doozy of a review in the next week or so.

More soon.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thank you, Francine! I've never had children so the pets are very important to me. And I agree with you about feline prowess. My Roxie is amazing, probably better equipped to deal with this than any of the rest of us. I expect to see her as soon as I can return to the area. I just wish she were here now. That mothering instinct lives even in those of us who aren't mothers. Thank God for pets!!

As I keep reviewing what I SHOULD have taken in my two minutes to gather up my life, I am grateful that most of the treasures, keepsakes, and family heirlooms are in the custody of my sisters, who are not endangered by this fire. The things I'll be losing weren't important to anybody else but me. The thought has run through my mind repeatedly that this is the chance to totally - TOTALLY - reinvent myself from the ground up. The big question I keep getting is: Who do I want to be now?

And you know what is so amazing I'm taken aback by it all? Someone has started a Facebook page today - Okay in Bastrop County - and, through it, I've reconnected with people I thought were lost to me. Silver linings are there.

More tomorrow. I think I can finally get some sleep now. I love you all for reading this and I especially love you all who've commented.

Thank you!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I'll bet, lol. Glad you're keeping Spirits up. I guess I'd also be packing the asprin too.

Your cat? In general, they really have great instincts when it comes to disasters. I've seen it a hundred times. They use their senses pretty much before the disaster gets to our front porch. So, I'll bet she knows what she's doing.

Oddly enough, tonight about 1:00 am here, there was a stray cat out by the dumpster. After I took my garbage out, I set a nice tray of corned beef out for him. We never have strays out here either.

I'm glad your able to communicate and you've family near by. Keep us posted smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Sandy, all this has happened while I slept. Just having a look at forums and emails while drinking my tea, before I leave for work. I'm glad that you and the dogs are safe - after all, you promised them a romp on the Moon! But so sorry to hear that your cat was missing. Currently, I don't have any pets, but I'd be a sniffly wreck about the cat if it were me. And yet, I agree that cats are canny survivors, so got my fingers cross for you there. (And just try touch typing with your fingers crossed!)

I knew someone who said if the house were on fire the only thing she'd try to save - except for the kids - were the photo albums. And I met someone who actually had to get out quickly (war, not wildfire, they lived in Beirut) and it was kids, important documents, everyone told to grab own change of clothes AND she took the family photo albums.

Must dash now, have a meeting at 9.00, but didn't want to leave without getting in touch.

Hugs.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Was the cat micro-chipped? She could easily end up in shelter or with animal lovers who will get this checked and let you know. Fire, rescue, and forces personnel tend to be big animal lovers as do their support crews so you probably have the best people looking our for her.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I just love our editors! They're really there when you need them and genuinely so!

There's a lot of positive thoughts and energy behind you. And I'll bet you're an old Soul for that matter as well dealing with what life tends to throw at you over the years. smile

Last edited by Elleise - Clairvoyance; 09/05/11 03:33 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I just love our editors too! Dreaded forums before I made it my mission to bite the bullet and learn how to use this forum. One year later? Addicted!!

Too weary to type, to sleep. Will update in my morning. Love you all.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Sandy, my prayers are with you. What an awful experience to be going through. Stay safe!

Susan

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Please keep us updated on the cat news front!

I have asked a couple of witches who work a lot with the Elementals to see if they can influence the fire going out faster. Still waiting to hear what they plan and/or if it works.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OMG Sandy, I am so very sorry to hear about your home! How scary. I hope your kitty turns up soon.

Know that you are in my prayers girl!!

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Sandy, I have just watched a video on Yahoo news about the fires. Thought I would come to see if anyone was involved with them here. Sorry to hear about your cat and your home. Glad you and your dogs are safe though.

My two minute dash would involve grabbing my laptop, my pigeon, my rosy bourke and the four dogs. The boys are big enough to get themselves sorted. Oh and a pair of glasses if I can find one.

I am not prepared for any sort of disaster. I guess I would deal with it when it happened. I have lost homes and 'stuff' many times over the years and have learned not to become attached to material things. Easy come, easy go. As you said a chance to reinvent yourself.

I send you my thoughts, not much help I know, but I wish you well and hope your cat turns up. God bless Linda

Linda Heywood

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Sandy, I just found this thread. You and your pets are in my prayers. Stay safe and keep that delightful spirit of yours up and shining. Take care.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts and beautiful kind, encouraging words!! I'm definitely in a state of shock but it's so nice to know I've got concerned friends all around the world. I've also heard from people (in my real-life world) that I haven't spoken to in years. This fire has been frightening but it's definitely brought some wonderful people to my attention. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've still had no word on the cat. Will post photographs to ASPCA and animal rescue sites later today. Thank you all for your kind words and prayers on her behalf. I can't wait to tell Roxie how you're all thinking about her.

The fire is still raging out of control. Last I heard, 30,000 acres had been burned, more than 600 homes destroyed, a thousand evacuees, and the beautiful Bastrop State Park a few miles from my house is 2/3 scorched. The fire started between my house and the state park.

The highway and roads surrounding the fire are all closed and probably will be for a few more days. We'd had tremendous winds spreading the fire uncontrollably since it started on Sunday but the winds have died down today. Officials are expecting to achieve some control over the fire today.

There are many fires scattered throughout the Central Texas area right now so fire-fighting resources are stretched thin. We're in an excessive drought that's lasted more than a year now, with no relief in sight, so this place is a tinder box. My cousin's husband owns a store that normally sells charcoal and other supplies for BBQ-ing but he won't sell these things at any price right now, no matter how much a customer begs for them. I like his style.

Luckily, I am a renter so my loss is just of personal possessions. And the cat.

After evacuating my house (in the country) on Sunday, I had to evacuate my mother's house (in town) on Monday. After that second evacuation, my mother, my dogs, and I are staying at my sister's house about 70 miles away from the fire. There are smaller fires dotting the landscape here. We see smoke in the hills and can smell it every time we go outside. Nevertheless, I feel much safer here than anywhere I've been since Sunday.

Will keep you updated!

New questions: if you were beginning your life anew, building from the ground up, what would you do? Who would you be?

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Sandy,
Reading or hearing about the fire, many miles away, on the news is one thing but reading your personal experience is another. It is painful to hear about. My husband and I lost a big part of our life 2 years ago. That's when you find out what really matters.

I'm praying for you and your family and for you finding you cat.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

MY CAT IS ALIVE - and healthy!!

The man I was living with (renting space in an old friend's house; his name is Ed) has been there every day since the fire started. Just called me about details. Said the cat is alive and totally unharmed, not even a scorched hair!! He's feeding her and taking care of her and loving on her for me. I was sooooo relieved to hear this good news that I broke down into tears - the first tears since the fire started. Thank you ALL for your wonderful thoughts for me and my Roxie, the cat - they worked a miracle! We love you!!

Latest word is that my house did NOT burn entirely; the outside is burned but the inside is intact, just stinky like smoke. As soon as I can get back into the area, I'll go back and pack my stuff up to move to a new home somewhere. Ed needs my space to house his family - his 84-year-old father lost his home as did his sister and her husband. They need to be together on their property to rebuild; they don't need to worry about me.

The fire is still burning; firefighters say it is 0% contained at this point but winds have died down and progress is expected soon. Winds were gusting 40 to 50 MPH when the fire started but are down to just 5 to 20 MPH today. This is an awesome development.

Roads are still closed but Ed's camping out at the house to watch for any fires that might spark and to keep looters away. Latest news is that looting is becoming an issue. Bummer. It may be several days before I can get back there myself and he's warned me that I will not believe the devastation down our country road alone.

But the cat's OK!!!!!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Sandy that is absolutely great news for me to go to bed with..........it is after Midnight here.

Have been wondering what was happening and am just thrilled for you, and for Roxie.

Now a new life is out there just waiting for you, and despite the chaos the most important elements are already intact. smile

Super news, thanks so much for keeping us up to speed.

Take care
Francine

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Sandy,

I just came to this thread, so I'm so glad your precious cat is safe! My hubby and I lost our house (financial) 4 years ago and the experience was harrowing at the time, but a great life lesson. You learn VERY quickly what is important and what you can do without. As the saying goes..."the best things in life aren't things." Sometimes situations that seem the most difficult to go through make the best opportunities for growth and change. You and you furry friends are in my prayers.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Sandy, I was just shutting down so I could get my weary bod into bed, but checked the forum. Hurrah! What good news that Roxie is ok.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9rcfdgmbCMGjm7MB1ZlpovD_37QLZ0FhMW_N5e66wPSYbSTZI[/img]

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
PS that was going to be a picture saying YAY but I flubbed it.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Oh, Mona, if you even made the effort to post a picture on my behalf, you did not flub it. I got it and I appreciate it tremendously.

Interesting note. Your 'flubbed' picture was of a white cat saying 'yay.' My once-missing Roxie is a white cat. How perfectly perfect can that be??

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Glad to hear Roxie is ok.

Apparently what the local Coven did was encourage the Salamanders in the middle of the fire to burn hotter with the idea of drawing the fire back in on itself and away from fresh fuel. The idea being that this would overcome any driving winds and lessen the damage. Will let them know the good news about Roxie.

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Sandy, I'm so glad Roxie is OK. I'm praying that you'll find a good living situation. Take good care of yourself and blessings to Ed with his family moving in.

Susan

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
My poor cat, Roxie, is missing again!!! (Sure wish I knew how to spell the sound of a scream of anguish!!!)

To recap the story, a wildfire started in the pine / oak forest I live in on Sunday, September 4. I had to evacuate my home in minutes. Grabbed my computer, a few clothes, and my 2 dogs but couldn't corral the cat. Thought I be back home in the morning to resume business as usual. Took none of the works in progress from my office, no shoes, no toothbrush, no items of sentimental value.

After a couple of days, I learned my cat was alive and well but terribly frightened. The man I'd been living with (old friend but platonic, not romance) was sneaking into the fire zone every day to check on his / our house and my cat. Many, many good thoughts and prayers from my fantastic BellaOnline friends and friends everywhere kept me optimistic in the couple of days my Roxie was missing and all those positive vibes worked flawlessly (of course!) and my worries were kept at bay. Roxie had been my very biggest concern.

I've been staying with my sister, who lives about 70 miles away from my home. It's been a very pleasant evacuation, all things considered, but the reality is it's a temporary, day-to-day existence that frazzles every nerve, and I don't know where my next 'home' will be or when it will materialize. She's my sister and we love each other but she isn't so fond of me or my dogs and my invasion of her space. I understand and I am eternally grateful for her acceptance of me and my 'family' at this particularly vulnerable moment in my life.

Even so, I find I just don't have all the little, everyday things that I've taken for granted and I don't really feel comfortable asking someone else to share with me - make-up and skin-care products, tweezers, pens and note pads, bowls to feed and water my dogs, grooming tools and bedding for my dogs, the things I prefer to eat, two pillows instead of one, a belt, simple things like that. Many of these things are being supplied by the tremendous relief efforts that have come to the fire zone but I'm 70 miles away from them. The distance is one obstacle but I have no car.

I hadn't needed a car until this week. I work from home and only leave home once or twice a week. My mother lives near me and she's just turned 79 years old; she doesn't use her car very often either. To minimize expenses, we've shared one car (hers) for months and that arrangement has worked OK for months. We just never planned on a catastrophic situation such as this. And we're not the happiest mother/daughter duo in the land so there's always been friction between us. Always.

The fire smolders but no longer rages. Has destroyed almost 40,000 acres, destroyed about 1,400 homes thus far, killed two residents, covers an area about 24 by 20 miles, and I have no idea when I'll be allowed back to my house and my office. No idea when the fire will be under control, when roads will open, when forward progress can begin. I was told today that it will be at least a month before the water supply and electricity can be restored.

I won't be allowed to return to that address as my home because my friend / landlord (Ed) needs the home to house his family now. The fire destroyed the homes of his 84-year-old father, his brother, and his sister and her husband. The land they've all lived on has been in their family for many generations. They need to be together on that space right now, to recover and rebuild, and there just isn't room in that house for me now. It's a family thing.

Today? Roxie, the cat?

Today I learned that Ed isn't allowed back onto his family's land. He didn't want to simply abandon my cat so last night he took Roxie to my brother's house where there is no threat of fire. My brother knows nothing about cats, his wife is allergic to them, their 8-year-old daughter wants one. My mother lives with them and dotes on the granddaughter (who can blame her?). My mother is staying here with me at my sister's house since evacuation and has mentioned quite often that 'her family' would love to have a cat so why don't I give my Roxie to them. They are not cat people and Roxie is not a cat to me, she's my family. It's a question with no need of asking.

The reason I learned today that Roxie was delivered to my brother's care is only because she ran away last night. She'd survived solo six days of a blazing inferno with almost no contact to the world as she knew it and then she was taken to a house she'd never seen before and to people she doesn't know, people who don't really care about cats and think of them as nothing more than a novelty, a possession. My brother did not tell me she was there but Ed didn't tell me he'd taken her there, either. The brother, who is arrogant and always hostile toward me, never bothered to let me know my beloved cat was in his care now. He didn't ask for instructions on what to do next or when I could come retrieve her myself. Instead, he released her from her cat carrier box and she hasn't been seen since.

As soon as I learned of Roxie's latest plight, I jumped in the car and headed her way - with my mother, who won't confess but she knew Roxie was with the brother last night only she chose to not mention it at all to me. After all, her granddaughter wants a cat and my mother wants that cat to be Roxie.

The state highway that takes me to the country road I lived on was opened today for the first time since last Sunday so the journey was of the shortest possible route. We drove through miles and miles of some of the area that had been burned but the little we saw was of such devastation I have no words. Shocking. Surreal. Smoldering. Not of this planet. Beyond my wildest imagination. Beyond that. No functional words.

With much more vivid insight into the trauma my cat has endured this past week, we finally got to the brother's house but I had no luck finding Roxie. I've posted her photos and last known whereabouts on all the many internet sites dealing with the animals affected by this fire and I'm optimistic that she's physically OK but I know she must be wondering what the hell is going on?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Again, Sandy, my prayers are with you that you can be reunited with Roxie!

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

And, again, Susan, thank you SO MUCH for your prayers! I know that life's challenges are there to make us stronger but why does a sweet old cat need to suffer in the learning process, huh?

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Oh Sandy I'm so sorry, I've just seen this strand. I do hope you find Roxie and that she is OK.

Do you know, my mother and I were talking about this sort of thing just the other night and she said the one thing she wanted to save if her house were on fire was a Rembrandt engraving of Joseph telling his father and brothers about his dream because she loves it so much. All the rest could go. I'd probably grab my favourite bears.

I wish I were nearer to you and could send some things to help out but I'm afraid it's a bit impractical from the UK to the US!

I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope things get better for you soon.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thank you, GIllian!

So very interesting you mention dreams. Last night, I was unpacking some clothes I'd gotten from a relief center and had a flashback reminder of a dream I had a couple of weeks ago.

I pay attention to dreams but haven't had any of apparent significance lately but this one really woke me up. Next morning, I listed the most vivid elements and looked up possible meanings in a book I've enjoyed for years. I can't get to that list of elements and interpretations right now but, as time goes by, I think it's becoming more relevant.

Even before the fire, things happening were making me refer back to my notes again and again. The fire made me forget the dream for a while but it hit me like a shock wave last night but all I got was one element of the dream.

I can hardly wait to find the notebook I wrote my dream notes in. I do recall a positive outcome although it was a happy ending not without at struggle before the finish. I just didn't expect a struggle of this magnitude.

I keep reminding myself: If God takes you to it, God will get you through it.

And, in my world, God means exactly what YOU are thinking it means. It's a universal positive energy. We're all in this together and it's a beautiful thing.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Oh, Sandy, I feel so sad for you and Roxie. Poor thing, she must be completely disoriented. I wonder if she's trying to find her way "home". Though even there the clues must be missing since the fire.

I used to fret when one of the cats didn't come home at mealtime or even later. But it's so bad for you to think of Roxie out there somewhere, alone and frightened and hungry.

And I think you, although fed and watered, must be going through the same thing - complete disorientation and trying to find your way "home" whatever that may turn out to be.

Peace and strength to you.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I'm hoping she's trying to find her way 'home,' too, Mona. Thank you.

Today, before leaving for my brother's house, I grabbed some of the clothes I'd owned before the fire and wore since it started - fresh, familiar smells to the cat. I draped them in the front and back of my brother's house so the wind would distribute my scent - a familiar and safe scent to Roxie - throughout the last area she'd been. My brother is very conscious of looks and superficial appearances so I know that allowing me to publicly air my dirty laundry (literally!) in this fashion is a stretch of his comfort zone but it could have all been avoided if he'd just called me when she was delivered to his door Friday night. He chose to avoid communicating with his human sister so I'm left doing my best to figure out how to communicate with the most traumatized cat I've ever known. I left some other trails I think she might pick up on if she's still in the area, too.

If she headed home, into the burned out area, I don't know. I think we'll be reunited before too long and I will be SOOOO anxious to hear the stories she's got to tell.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Gosh Sandy, I am so sorry���..was thrilled when you told us she had turned up safe and well.

Am sure Roxie is trying to find her way, and she will. We moved in a snowy December and despite being carefully watched our family cat got out somehow. Instead of unpacking we trudged for miles calling his name, putting up posters etc., he was found sitting on the doorstep of our old home two days before Christmas, having walked over forty miles in thick snow and somehow crossing a major motor way.

She will find you, am thinking of you and wish it was possible to help.

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Sandy! OMGosh, I'm just now reading all of this...haven't even finished and I needed to respond. Have you looked through the web pages on found pets??? The cats are amazing and many are at shelters. I was evacuated in the Leander fire on Monday night. We made out ok, but I spent yesterday gathering donations for the Austin Humane Society (instead of getting next article done...whoops). If you need ANYTHING, and I mean anything...please private message me and I'll give you my cell number!
I sit here dumbfounded, as I have been so wrapped up with the stuff here (the fire here is ARSON), I can't believe I missed all of this. I have not been able to focus AT ALL.
Please feel free to contact me.
Dawn

Dawn Engler
Alaska
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Francine, you ARE helping. You read and were kind enough to respond. That feels like a hug to me. I need that. And your response was a lost cat story with a very happy ending, even! I'm not giving up hope and I'll keep your story in mind; I'm sure it will become powerful inspiration. I'm amazed your cat found her way through the snow. I would've thought the snow would erase any familiar scent trails.

Dawn, I had no idea our Alaska editor was in Leander. Howdy, neighbor! I'm staying in Lago Vista with my sister. On Monday afternoon, we had to go waaaaay south of the fire zone to get from its east side to this safe haven on its west side. After almost 4 hours in the car, my sister called to tell us to expect a detour - a big fire had broken out in Leander - your fire. I've heard arson is suspected there, which is just so utterly stupid a situation it's hard to imagine. All these fires lately are so shocking.

There's talk (nervous gossip, most likely) of arson in the Bastrop fire, too, and many little ones have been deliberately set since the big one started last Sunday. The Bastrop fire started in or near a state park so it might have been a campfire or cook stove but there's speculation that it's arson, too. Two years ago, there was a big fire here sparked by a tree falling over onto a power line and that might have happened again, given the destruction our extended drought is doing to the trees around here. Could've been a dropped cigarette butt or one of many things. It's just too soon for an investigation of the cause, I think, since all efforts are still so strongly focused on putting the darn thing out.

That state park was a beauty but last I heard, of its 6,000+ acres, only about 100 acres are untouched at this time. Such a waste. I simply could not believe what I was seeing as I drove through it yesterday. Surreal.

Thanks for the offer of help. I may get in touch before all is said and done. Thank you, ALL!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I've just finished reading all of the posts and I'm just Wow.

To answer the question of 2 minute grab...2 weeks ago there was a fire in the neighborhood next to us. Not near the castastrophe of Bastrop Cty...but a fire that had the city put us on stand by for evacuation. We had lots of time to gather, but watching the helicopters with the bags of water, smelling the smoke billowing in our direction, and at times, seeing the 40 foot high flames put us in a very real state of panic. What do you grab? Well, we decided, after the fact, that we did it all wrong! We had our vehicles packed and ready to go and spent the next 2 hours watching and waiting.

On reflection of it all, we realized how much we did not do right. We spent the next week, cataloging our home, taking pictures of every room and our belongings, and then making a list of what to grab in an emergency! For crying out loud, we realized that our disabled son's meds should have been grabbed long before we did.

We watched the news most of Labor Day monday, following all of the fires in this area. We left our home to go get the boys from their Dad, a 4 hour round trip, only to be called back 30 minutes away. The neighborhood behind us was now on fire. We raced home to get our pets, 3 cats and a dog. Only to arrive and find that we were on mandatory evacuation. HOLY cow, I froze. But I had the list, it saved the moment. I cannot tell you all how important that thing was. It listed in order of importance, what to grab. Time was irrelevent, just go in order till you're kicked out. We were in the line of cars to leave in 10 minutes flat. All pets accounted for.

The shelters and rescue organizations are teaming up here and getting pets and families reunited. I was so lucky to have had the time, in both instances, to get what mattered to me. I made donations yesterday in my frustration of not knowing how else I could help. The websites are up for lost pets...try this one
lost and found pet links

I have been numb most of this week, knowing the fire behind us was arson and possibly connected to the one of two weeks ago, and 4 teens were running around with the knowledge that they destroyed the homes of 11 families, possibly 15 more, and that the rest of us are on edge with every siren, and slight noise that is out of place. I feel where you are. But I'm here if my Bella sister needs anything. Want to take a trip to Walmart and stock up? I'm serious.

Sending wishes for return of your precious cat.

Dawn

Dawn Engler
Alaska
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Thanks for the link about lost pets and thanks for the idea of the list! I, too, learned after the fact that I didn't do things right. I think back to each of the individual items I thought about taking and left behind - the notebooks of writing projects I was working on, reference books I could be using now, pet grooming tools. . .

I'm starting a list and I will tailor it to meet the needs of my next home as soon as I have it.

One MAJOR blessing in all this? I do not have children to worry about. I feel so sorry for them when I see families in the relief centers, especially the children picking through the toy selections. My heart just breaks.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
GOOD NEWS! I can go back to my home on Tuesday. Making arrangements now. That will be a BIG step in the right direction for building my beautiful new life.

Sure hope the cat is a part of it. smile

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
AWESOME! Can you stay in that home? Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

Dawn Engler
Alaska
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
That is excellent news, Sandy, and I'm glad your landlord was able to make arrangements too. It's awful when everything is upended like that.

I hope that Roxie turns up OK - maybe she's managed to find her way to her home area.

Just to let you see, here is a link to an example of the picture my mother was talking about.

Joseph Telling his Dream by Rembrandt

Dad bought it many years ago when people weren't buying black and white pictures, they wanted coloured pictures just after the second world war, so the shop was almost giving it away. Now of course it's immensely precious in all sorts of ways.

Last edited by Gillian - Classical Music; 09/11/11 06:09 PM.
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Love that sketch, Gillian. What a find! And what good sense of art your dad had. I've been reminded lately that the best things in life aren't things but that sketch is a lot more than just a thing. It's truly priceless.

And, no, Dawn. I won't be allowed to stay in the home ever again. From what I understand at this point in time, it needs a good bit of repair work to become livable again but my friend's family will be moving into the space I occupied. It's their ancestral property, in the family for many generations, and their houses got totally demolished. They'll be living in my space while they rebuild theirs. I need a new home.

Nobody will be able to stay there for quite a while, though. There's no possibility of water or electricity to be restored in the next 30 days. I think our re-entry passes allow us access but no residency at this time. I could be wrong about that; haven't paid that much attention to resuming occupancy since it's always been a given that I wouldn't be moving back in.

I am getting a lot of really cool new clothes, though! laugh

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Amoeba
Amoeba
Wishing you well, Sandy. My house burned down once. I know that feeling of loss.

Virginia Hixson
Ergonomics Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
What an event!

I wanted to check in and see how you were doing. I remember the first night I posted - I too have the same God concept as you described...positive energy and we're all in this thing together, connected, like a web.

The night I posted I remember seeing a stray cat which for this area is really just an unlikely thing. But anyway, I brought some food, just a little left over corned beef. Well I thought that was coinicedental, but nothing too unusual. Anyway, when I read the name of your cat - that was pretty funny. The sweatshirt I had on had an oriental design on the back, but the tag on the inside was a "Roxy" brand. Coincedences usually find me in 3's. So one more to go smile

I've had really good luck with a mental excercise. I beleive animals communicate with us telepathically or in pictures. If you're still enough you can get some of the images. But I'll send out a thought, like a picture of them and mentally say their name and focusing on their food dish or a belly rub.

Anyway, I'd either have a flash of where they are or a dream letting me know what happened. Both would be confirmed by either a neighbor or the location where they were. Can't hurt to try.

I have a sister like your brother...I'm so the exact opposite too. Not only have I the tendency to air my dirty laundry, but have been known to wear and sleep in it as well at times, lol.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Love this post. Gave me a much-needed laugh. Thank you!

Here's that third coincidence (I, too, pay attention to them. It pays off) - I'd turned off the computer for the night but thought of something to email to a friend. She, too, believes in communicating with animals in much the same way you describe; we talk about it all the time.

I guarantee you I'll be visualizing and sending mental messages to Roxie tonight. And I'll feel even more confident of connection, with the strength of your belief in the mental exercise to strengthen my conviction and her belief in it, too.

Thanks so much!!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Here's a photo of that sweatshirt I was talking about. I just thought it was interesting and hoping it's a good sign...

I just now noticed the heart smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Love it!! Brought tears to my eyes. But starting the day with tears of gratitude is a wonderful way to start the day. Thanks!!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Sandy,
I saw how long those lines were to get back into neighborhoods today. I hope you fared ok. Any sign of Roxie? Have you looked at all those web links? Austin Humane Society must get 5-6 cats a day in from Bastrop area...new pics posted daily. holding hope for you here....

Dawn Engler
Alaska
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thanks, Dawn! Hadn't thought about long lines to get in but it would be wise to expect it. I'm going today for the first time.

I posted Roxie's photo in a number of places and will look at all their photos tomorrow. Went to Austin Humane Society yesterday and the Smithville animal shelter - so many sad, traumatized animals it just breaks my heart. The dogs' howls are so mournful each one brings tears. The cats all seem to be stunned into silence. It's great work these rescuers are going and I hope every animal makes it back to his or her people very soon.

Thanks, all!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I know what you're saying...

When I go to a rescue shelter, it's more than just looking. It's more feeling the howls, the immediate attention they give just for your walking by.

If I had the space, lol, I'd be guilty of bringing the entire station back home.

I missed the part of Roxy being brought to your brother's. What happened or rather how did that happen or did I read that wrong? All he had to do was call?

That confused me smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Roxie's gone again because my friend (staying to keep watch on our house) had to evacuate. There came a point where looting was becoming an issue so anyone caught within the fire zone would be arrested. (They even jailed a wheelchair-bound ex-Marine Vietnam vet for staying to defend his home - made lots of people very angry).

Anyway, Ed had to leave and is staying in a hotel in a town nearby. He could not take the cat with him. He took it to my brother's house, where the cat's never been before amongst people she's never seen before. My brother isn't a cat person; his wife's allergic. Because my brother and I aren't fond of each other, nobody called to tell me where my cat was. So nobody asked me what to do with my terrified cat to make the transition as smooth as possible.

I'm staying at my sister's house and my mother is here too (read: mucho friction). My brother DID tell my mother that the cat was at their house (she lives with bro) but she didn't bother to pass the word. Instead, she's been saying for the past week that her family / household wants a cat so they'll adopt Roxie for me. I told her no a few times then I just quit responding when she said that. Roxie's not up for adoption.

What did brother do? He took her outside, opened up her cat carrier, thinking she'd hop out to pee and the hop right back in, all cozy and happy. What REALLY happened is that she immediately disappeared. No one has seen here since Friday night.

Poor baby survived six days in a raging inferno single-handedly only to be lost to family dysfunction. I'm learning so, so many things during this event.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Sandy, I've just come across this thread. I hope you'll be able to salvage all the things you need from your house today and find a new place of your own soon, and I hope Roxie finds her way back to you safe and sound. Thinking happy thoughts for you!

Lane Graciano
Today in History
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Fire is almost entirely contained - day #15, I think. I've spent the last few days at my smokey house, sorting through and packing up. I'm sure gonna miss the place. I'm hoping the missing cat, Roxie, will show up there some day soon! She'll be with friends there till I can retrieve her myself. I'm thinking that's what will happen, if ever I see her again.

Meanwhile, camping out in the living room of my hostile sister is one of the least productive experiences I've ever done in my life and I am desperately seeking long-term shelter in a more peaceful setting. Bad news about that? So are about 1,500 displaced families.

This next phase of life is going to be quite the new adventure. I'm getting a little full of the limbo required to get from Point A to Point B so I'm really looking forward to moving on. Any ideas, anybody?

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Ugh, I can't imagine what you're going through. Life sure has a way of throwing curves at us. How we handle the steering through them is the tough part. I personally have always felt every step is necessary for the next one. You may not see what all this was for now, but maybe sometime soon, you will have the "ah ha moment". Your unproductive time may be leading up to a super productive time? I'm holding hope for your Roxie's return and sending lots of energy towards quick answers and solutions for you. Wish I had a room.
Dawn

Dawn Engler
Alaska
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thanks for all that, Dawn, but please know I think I probably like you better that you do not have a room for me. And that's a beautiful thing.

I, too, think the steering through from one step to the next is the true test of the event and it's only as tough as I make it become. I was needing to move on but was dragging my feet about it. Today, I wish I had a more solid mailing address but I do still have two feet to drag. Not everybody is so fortunate.

I think the unproductive time is about to change. In the past few months, I've been working on an internet marketing partnership with some wonderful people I've worked with for years. We just launched our new company a few days ago. I think my biggest anxiety is not being 100% available for them right now as we get started. I've been very afraid that they'd find a more available writer for the job so I've been desperate to land somewhere and get back to work smoothly. Fortunately, the company is just getting started so we are only in the negotiation phase with new clients. I'm not a part of the negotiations and there's no real work ready for me yet. Best yet? The guys I'm working with are very understanding of my situation; they are the very best yet!!

One thing this fire experience has brought vividly to mind - the holes in my life that need filling. The experience has brought a great deal of clarity to my plans for the future, near and far. I knew those holes were there. I guess I just didn't give them credit for being such gapping problems as they actually are. Guess it's time to fill 'em as fast as I can.

All will be well and my cat will return. These things I know. Thank you for being there.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

It's now day #22 and the fire in Bastrop County is still burning. Fortunately, the current fires are small and somewhat contained, although dangerous flare-ups happen every day. The fire was so massive (20 miles by 24 miles, roughly, more than 34,000 acres) that you can drive for miles and miles and see nothing recognizable. The scene is surreal.

News photos of fire in full burn

More than 1600 homes lost completely, leaving thousands of people homeless. One of those lost homes belongs to my friend Ed's dad, who is 82, widowed, and suffering through the early stages of Alzheimer's. He has no interest in starting all over again but he's in good spirits, he's surrounded by family who loves him and is taking outstanding care of him.

Bastrop State Park was ravaged by the fire. It's a few miles from my house. The park occupies more than 6,000 acres and almost all of it was destroyed by the fire. Only 50 to 100 acres remain untouched; fortunately, those saved acres contain most of the park structures - admin, tourist, cabins, pool, etc. Some of these structures are on the national list of historic buildings so many people are glad they were spared.

In previous posts, I've mentioned taking refuge at the home of a hostile sister. I was SO wrong about that sister. She's kind, generous, nice, and I'm really enjoying getting to know her better. She's even offered me long-term private living quarters here at her house and I'm taking her up on her offer. I think our problems in the early stages of my evacuation here stemmed from my mother, who came here with me. She tends to pit her children against each other and, now that she's gone back to her own home, there is a great deal of peace and pleasantry here between my sister and me.

My cat is still missing. It's been 22 days since I've seen her. I know she'll find her way back to our house in the burn zone; she was very, very happy there. Good people are rebuilding there, they love her, and will take good care of her when she returns. They'll let me know the minute they catch a glimpse of her. I know I'll see her again but I'm just miserable thinking about the ordeals she's already endured alone and the frightening and treacherous journey she's on right now. I expect a happy ending.

Roxie, the cat

Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, and prayers. I've used them all!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Here is a spare prayer, thought and a few words for you then Sandy. Was wondering how you were when I saw this post pop up again. Sorry your cat is still not with you, glad you and your sister have made peace.

God bless.

Linda

Linda Heywood

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thank you, Linda. I'm grabbing hold of every spare prayer that comes my way.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Earlier today I was thinking how I hadn't heard anything from you about how you were doing. Was ready to try messaging you. But when I sat down to do it, here you were!

I had already decided the "no news is good news" didn't apply, because I'm pretty sure you'd tell us at once if Roxie had found you. Sorry to learn that she hasn't.

But, Sandy, you realized that when so much was lost, that had to be something new on the horizon. I bet you never thought that part of it would be a new relationship with your sister. It sounds as though you have each found a friend and I'm so glad for you both -- something to treat with care, but with open hearts.

BTW I hadn't realized that Roxie is ring-tailed! Near me is a little "Tropical Zoo." Their lease is up, but haven't moved yet. I hadn't even known what was there when they were a going concern, but with the lease ending at the end of August, discovered they had ring-tailed lemurs, so went to see them.

The Latin name is Lemur catta. They're adorable. When I do my weekly walk through the park, I stop by to visit. I learned on Sunday that the parent couple were obtained when confiscated from the illegal pet trade. They were so happy and relaxed, they produced twin babies last year. The four of them are lovely!

Lemur catta

Blessings and good wishes to you and your extended family.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

So nice to hear from you, Mona, and I l-o-v-e the ring-tailed lemur photo. Critters with ringed tails have a special place in my heart at the moment. Thank you for knowing that.

You are so right about something new coming from this experience and it is looking like a renewed relationship with my sister. Maybe both of my sisters.

I'm staying with Nancy, who's one year younger than I am. Our other sister, Rose (one year younger than Nancy), lives a few blocks down the street. Nancy and Rose were always very close; still are. When we were growing up, they did everything together and were the cowgirls / athletes in the family. I was the bookworm crazy about the Beatles.

Nancy was married for 35 years (divorced three years ago), has three sons, three lovely daughters-in-law, and seven grandchildren. I've never married and have no children. Our lifestyles are so different that we grew apart over the years. We've both agreed that we can make this work and I've even suggested we might have a little bit of fun, too. I think we'll have lots of fun. All will be well.

I'll keep you posted. This roller-coaster ride hasn't yet come to a complete stop.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Mona, did you see the news photos I posted earlier today? They're from the online version of the UK's Mail. It seems odd to me but some of the best coverage of my Texas fire and some of the most revealing photos came from British news sources. How cool is that??

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I just started reading back through the posts I've made to this thread of comments. I didn't get past the first comment, emotions are still too raw, nerves still too jangled, attention span entirely too short. Even so, I found that I asked a question that I think provokes much useful thought. Here it is again:

If you had a two-minute warning to leave your home, possibly forever, what would you take?

Well? What would you take? Why?

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
O
Shark
Shark
O
First and foremost, I'd grab my two dogs because they are my kids! I guess the next thing I'd try to grab on the way out would be my car keys! Actually, I am a forward thinker, and a long time ago I packed an 'emergency suitcase' with all my personal treasures, such as photographs and important documents, things that I would be unable to replace.

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Been meaning to get to this all night. Got wrapped up in the chat on social networking. First, thanks for the pictures. Now I can send more energy to Roxie. So glad everything is working out in the way that it is for you.
My list starts with the cats/dog/food/bowls/bed (dog is arthritic).
Next is son's meds. I can get those replaced if have to...not the pets...as you well know
Next is firebox...it has important papers, and disk of everything on our computers, which includes photos, insurance listing of contents of home
This list is taped inside closet by front door. As is the firebox, and a weekend bag packed for 4! The knuckleheads that set fire in Leander still run free, and we still jump at every out of place noise!
We did this and more in 10 minutes at our last evac. so 2 minutes is tough...but enough time for the pets....

Sandy, I'm still sending thoughts your way for ease through all of this. (I'll be in Lago saturday hanging posters for Komen race, if you'd like to meet for lunch or cup of coffee? my treat...would be great to meet you face to face)

Dawn Engler
Alaska
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
by the way there was a picture put on Bastrop animal shelter page that had me jump about Roxie....but the white on her head is wrong and can't see the tail in pic!

Dawn Engler
Alaska
O
Shark
Shark
O
Sandy, I have just read back through the thread and I am so sorry for all the horror you have been going through. Would you believe that I wrongly read 'Wildfire' as 'Wildlife'?! My mind must be getting scrambled! I feel so for you. Fire is so ruthless and so complete in its destruction. I am also terribly saddened to hear that your dear cat is missing. I pray she is safe. I just want you to know that I am keeping you, and your dear Roxie in my thoughts, and I am so sorry I didn't read through properly before answering the question. My love is with you and all those who are suffering from the fires.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I'd love to meet you on Saturday! A cup of coffee sounds like a wonderful idea. I'm completely unfamiliar with Lago so you'll have to pick the time and place. Thank goodness it's a little town! I'll send my telephone number via private message to you.

I think I know which cat photo had you jump. I saw one that looked enough like Roxie that I went to the animal shelter to check it out. It was a really cute kitten but Roxie's a fully mature cat, 8 years old. I'm going to Bastrop today so I'll go visit the animal shelter to see if she's been found in the last few days. I'll also swing by the Austin animal shelter on my way through town. Pets found healthy are being kept at Bastrop; those that need veterinary care are being treated and held in Austin. The people working these shelters are quite simply overwhelmed at the moment and haven't got the time or manpower to photograph and post photos as fast as some of us - me! - would like them to. They are doing a truly outstanding job. They are giving our lost pets food and shelter but many of them are doing it as volunteers, even the vets. Some of them are coming from far away, even other states. Veterinary care, food, shelter, everything is being done free of charge. It's a truly amazing effort. I hope to pay it forward someday soon.

Here's a kind of happy story coming out of the chaos: Relief workers from the American Red Cross got to town a few days after the fires started. They told people they were amazed by what they found in Bastrop and Smithville - that the communities themselves had already rallied, organized, and were providing services so thoroughly and smoothly they felt they weren't needed at all. Said they'd never come across a community taking charge like these two little towns did. It was a pretty amazing operation, before and after the Red Cross's very welcome assistance.

I'm still concerned about those Leander arsonists, too. People are deliberately setting fires in lots of places now and it just makes no sense to me. Doesn't make sense under normal conditions but Texas is a tinder box just waiting for a spark to create calamity. This Bastrop fire is still burning, 23 days after it started. That's just too scary to be fun and games. Makes me wonder sometimes what are people thinking.

The locals have become very sensitive to the use of fire these days. My cousin's husband has a general store in the country; he will not sell charcoal or BBQ supplies right now, no matter how much someone begs to pay for it. Others are photographing people tossing cigarette butts from cars and getting license plate numbers to pass on to the police. Smokers are under a lot of pressure. Some people are trying to burn the debris at their homes but neighbors won't allow it; they call the cops. With so many homes gone, many people are kind of camping out at home as they rebuild and outdoor cooking is ideal for camping out but it isn't happening much; neighbors don't want neighbors cooking outdoors right now. Even welders working to remove charred metal are hesitant to use their equipment for fear of spreading sparks. It's amazing what a life-changer this event has been. (Wonder how many times I've used the word amazing in this post. Guess it's time to unpack the dictionary.)

And stupid me. I've been evacuated by fire twice in the past month but do I have an emergency bag ready to go should it happen again? Nope. That's got to change immediately. And I love the idea of a list taped to the door. I'm a list person and I think that's one of the most valuable lists a person could compile.

Have you heard the Bastrop fires were caused by dead tree limbs falling on electrical power lines, causing sparks that ignited dead leaves and pine needles on the ground? That's the same thing that caused a pretty awful fire in the same place in 2009. The electric company has worked round the clock to restore power to everyone but that took almost three weeks to restore power 100%, so much of their own equipment was destroyed in the fire. Now they are on a pretty aggressive mission to remove all trees near power lines. They've cleared a lot of trees already but they've got lots more to do; the trees they'll cut are all marked with orange paint. Lots of the trees marked for removal are already lost to drought or fire but some of them are still alive, just too close for comfort. Lots of people who live in the burn zone do so because they love living in the middle of a beautiful green forest but it's become a dangerous forest. Some of those beloved trees must be sacrificed for the greater good.

Amazing!!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thank you for your kind words, onealone. I'm discovering a whole new me in the experience. I'm not one to write publicly about such personal stuff but I'm finding my posts here to be quite cathartic.

The first night of the fire, I spent at my aunt's shop where her sons do air conditioner and electrical work. It was just me, four dogs, and my computer. (Oh, yeah. And a bottle of Scotch. Cocktails editor, you know.) I started writing because I didn't know what else to do. Didn't think anybody would read much of it. Whoa, was I ever wrong about that!!

I've spent most of the time since the fires started at my sister's house, about 70 miles away from the burn zone, but I've gone back many times. I find comfort there, talking to others experiencing the same event. I don't find comfort here, at my new home, because nobody in this world was directly affected by it; they understand the circumstances but they cannot grasp the emotions that come from it. Writing in this forum has allowed me to express some of those emotions. It's been fabulously therapeutic and I thank you all for reading it.

Even more so, I thank you all for your wonderful support, kind words, many prayers, and knowing that the world is full of compassionate people like you, even if I never meet them in person.

And you know what? When I do go back to my old house, to pack up my stuff and look for my cat, one of my greatest joys is just sitting quietly on the deck and watching the wildlife come back to life. I put out food and water for them, since these things are so scarce in the area right now. I love each and every little critter that comes my way. Could be this story started out being about a wildfire but it's the wildlife that writes the happy ending.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
O
Shark
Shark
O
Oh, Sandy, YES! The creatures of nature will come to help you heal. They seem to know, even better than many humans do. Perhaps it is because they do not judge. They, too, will have suffered in, and from the fires. Here in Australia, we have wildlife rescuers to help those who survived. When I was a little child, and experiencing great trauma, I used to think animals and other creatures were my only friends, and I would sit in our garden and talk to them, even spiders and lizards. Somehow, I know they listened, and understood, without me having to speak a word. My prayers for Roxie will continue, and of course, for you too!

O
Shark
Shark
O
Sandy, is there any news yet of Roxie?

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I had a HUGE fight with my sister this afternoon about my mother and brother collecting the remainder of my belongings from my old house in the burn zone. They don't know which things are mine and their schedule is in direct conflict with almost everything in my life and that of the property owner. They think they're doing me a favor and are upset because I don't appreciate their invasion. I said I'd call the sheriff if they touched my stuff. It's just that ugly and I want a new family - at age 55.

During this one-sided screaming match, my sister told me Roxie shows up at the mother / brother's house every evening. This is the first I've heard of that. I've spent many hours on the computer reviewing photos of found pets, many hours on the phone. I've spent many hours and lots of gasoline money traveling hundreds of miles to rescue centers to look for her, and there are dozens of people looking for her, some of whom I'd never heard of before losing Roxie. I haven't had a good night's sleep in a month worried about the trauma that cat must be experiencing. They didn't bother to tell me that she was at my brother's house when they lost her the second time and they didn't bother to tell me that she's showing up now. What sadists, huh?

I'm thinking this weekend will signal the end of my homelessness and I'll get settled into a temporary residence long enough to establish some sort of routine life. I'll set up my office once again and resume work - so many good things are happening there! Then, in a few days, I'll research the local laws about animal abuse and theft of a pet. Their lies have abused way too many people to let this theft of my cat go unaddressed. Any ideas?

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Yes, I did look a the news photos you posted, was surprised to see them from the Daily Mail. On the whole, I have a low opinion of them, but this was good.

The Boston Globe's Big Picture covered Big Picture - Texas Wildfire and Drought. The Big Picture is an impressive photojournalism series.

The fires are the dramatically destructive events, but the drought pictures have stayed in my mind. Seeing the land parched and sere was deeply sad and moving.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Sandy, I was responding to your earlier posting, I didn't see your latest one this morning.

My fingers are paralysed! I guess that's the forum equivalent of being speechless.

Roxie is still near your brother's house and they didn't even tell you? Can that be true, it's unbelievable. I don't comment on people's families to them, that's the prerogative of family members. But I will say that that if they haven't told you about your cat, their behavior is seriously disturbed. What on Earth could they be up to?!

I am so sorry to hear about this latest, just when things were levelling off and looking up a bit.

O
Shark
Shark
O
Sandy, can you confront them and remind them that she is your cat, and ask them to kindly let you know the next time she appears, so that you can come and collect her? My heart goes out to you.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Here's the latest on my missing cat, Roxie -

She is apparently alive and well - but wild as a March hare - in the neighborhood where my mother lives with my brother. My mom actually called me a couple of evenings ago to tell me she was looking at Roxie as we spoke. Roxie was lounging around in the back yard of one of their neighbors.

I've learned today that Roxie makes an appearance in the evenings and mornings, just like she did before the fire. I'm going there tomorrow and plan to spend the night on Thursday so I can be there in the evening and again on Friday morning.

I'm hoping to lure her to me so I can take her out to our old house, where she will live with my friend, Ed. Ed (not a cat person) absolutely loves Roxie and she loves him. She also loves living in the woods around his house.

I cannot have Roxie with me as long as I'm living at my sister's house. She has a daughter-in-law and three grandchildren who are allergic to cats and they all visit often. Since I can't have her here with me, with Ed is the next best place for her. I'll have visitation rights. smile

I've had a couple of conversations with my mother, trying to reinforce her understanding that Roxie is NOT her cat and that she'll be living with Ed as soon as we can coax her back into our arms. It may not happen with me there tomorrow but I think it will happen sooner or later, at Roxie's chosen pace.

I'm more at peace now, knowing somebody actually sees her frequently and that she seems physically unharmed. And I'm going forward with the expectation that Roxie will soon be in good hands with someone she knows and loves. All will be well.

I'll keep you posted.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Awesome news...I am so glad to read this....Blessings to you Sandy! And a gentle shove to Roxie into her momma's loving arms.

Dawn Engler
Alaska
O
Shark
Shark
O
I'll be keeping you and Roxie in my thoughts. May she be healthy, and safely back in your arms very soon.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
This is such good news! Blessings!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Yay! Some good news. I'm so glad that Roxie is alive and located, even if gone quite fey - don't blame her, poor thing. I hope she is soon back to somewhere where she is happy. I know that will ease your heart too.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Have only just caught up with your news about Roxie, Sandy.

It is super to know she is alive and well..............and she sounds as if she has become a very independent young lady in the last weeks. Definitely 'kicking over the traces' for the moment, and after her last weeks who can blame her, she will soon settle down again.

What good news, and what a relief, now you can think about your own next direction and what fun lies ahead for you too. We must have a cocktail 'To the Future'. smile

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

ROXIE IS ALIVE AND WELL - AND SHE'S HOME AT LAST!!

My rescue attempt last week turned out much better than my most optimistic expectations. I had that baby in my arms within 30 minutes of catching a glimpse of her. We spent the night together - she purring, me crying many tears of love and gratitude.

I took her to my friend Ed's house the next morning. We lived with Ed when the fire broke out and Roxie is as wild about him as he is about her. She loved living there before the fire and I'm sure she'll soon feel that way again, as Ed rebuilds and as she feels more secure there again. He needs her companionship, too. I wish I could have her with me but I can't so she's in the next best spot on the whole darn planet. And she's safe and can relax now. I can, too. At last.

Thank you, God, and thank you, all my BellaOnline cat-loving friends. You'll never know how much I appreciate you reading about my crazy, flame-kissed life lately. Now that Roxie's health and happiness are more assured and I'm settling into a new home, too, I'm anxious to put an end to this chapter of my life - although I'll be visiting Roxie on a pretty regular basis.

Thank you all for being there for me. I just do not have the words to express my appreciation for your concerns.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Oh, Sandy, I am so happy for you and your little Roxie. This is wonderful news. I pray all will settle down for you now and that you and Roxie have a good home.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I'm so happy to hear this Sandy!

It was the 3rd "thing" that I was hoping to happen.

Belly rubs in order smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
That's wonderful news. What a relief for you and Roxie.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Such good news, Sandy.

LOL (That's Lots of Love!) to you and Roxie.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I got a photo of Roxie in the shadows last night.

I don't live with her anymore so photos and updates really make my day. She's happy to see Ed, of course, but the end of Ed's house that Roxie, our dogs, and I used to occupy is now filled with his family members Roxie's seen before but never got to know. She's skittish and isn't yet comfortable coming too close or lingering any longer than necessary. She's getting better acclimated every day, though, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before she reigns supreme at that address, just like she did before the fire. I expect the mix of our old, familiar smells and the new ashy, charred stink everywhere have her on guard.

I haven't heard of any new flare-ups or fresh fires lately but I did read the Texas Forest Service burned down at least one big patch of intact forest in the middle of the burn zone; doing so eliminated a very dangerous source of highly-flammable fuel - the healthy but drought-stricken trees themselves. Did you know pine trees can become explosive when they catch on fire?

We've had more than 90 days of temperatures over 100 degrees this summer. My sister reminded me that's a whole season, 25% of a year. The heat is finally easing up a bit; doesn't get into the 90s very often anymore.

But still no rain. It's been close to a year since we've had a 'normal' rainfall. Texas is seeing the most severe drought of a year's duration that its ever seen. The state is a tinderbox.

When I thought all my clothes were destroyed in the fire, people gave me lots of nice things and the relief shelters in the county had some really cool clothes, too. I stocked up but it was very, very hot then. Most of my wardrobe is shorts, skirts, and sleeveless tops of some kind or another, the better to beat the heat.

Now I'm wishing I had some sleeves. Lucky for me, I have one sister who lives upstairs and she's got plenty of sleeves, and everything else a woman might want to wear. We have another well-dressed sister just down the street. We're all the same size so I've really got a very extended and well-stocked wardrobe to play with. I'm very lucky in that way.

Many of the other survivors of the fire don't have generous, sharp-dressed sisters of the same size within walking distance. After a good washing, most of my clothes were salvageable although I tossed those that retained the aroma of soot and smoke. I think more people who had a first-hand experience with the fire weren't so lucky. I think thousands of people had everything in their house - including every stitch of everybody's clothes - reduced to ashes. I'm lucky there, too.

I'm worrying about them these days - have they accumulated only the light-weight clothes that were appropriate during the days of the fire or do they have warm clothes, too, now that there seems to be a change in the season finally coming on? Donations of food, clothing, bedding, pet supplies, and most of the things displaced people are missing the most are still coming in by the truckload from all over the United States. Maybe, as the rest of the nation starts to dig into winter wardrobes, they'll cull some to send south to the survivors of this hellish fire.

Actually, Texas has seen hundreds of wildfires this year although I think most of them have been in remote locations and very rural areas where population density isn't high so people's homes and lives aren't threatened terribly. One of the worst aspects of the Bastrop County Complex Fire is that there were some pretty heavily populated areas in the burn zone.

So, any rain coming our way? Not according to the state's official climatologist - his prediction is for terrible drought to last for years:

Terrible News: Texas Drought Could Last Until 2020

UGH!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I read about Roxie while I was on vacation. I was so glad to hear the good news! It sounds as though things are on the right track for you and for Roxie. Wishing you well, think of you lots!

Dawn Engler
Alaska
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
It's official!

Bastrop Complex Fire is 100% contained as of October 13 - Thank you, God!!

It started September 4. It boggles my mind to think a fire can burn that long. Here's one good thing that's become of it, though:

Bastrop wildfires serve as backdrop for firefighter academy

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I have a hard time looking at video footage and photos taken during this wild-[censored] fire. Even reading news accounts with no visuals usually brings tears. I haven't even had the fortitude to read back over my forum posts here - partly because I'm just not ready to revisit it all and partly because I'm afraid I'll be embarrassed by the writing! Silly me, huh?

This photo of horses being rescued is such an awesome sight, though, that I just have to share it. I don't know where it was taken, exactly, who's in it, or who took it but the background scenery tells me it was within a couple of miles of my old home. I've recently heard the fire affected about 50 square miles so a couple of miles seems to me almost within arm's reach in comparison.

I didn't get the full impact of the photo the first time I saw it. Make sure you note the scene in the rear-view mirror. I've looked at it dozens of times but never without tears, even now. This is one awesome photo.

Horses being rescued from wildfire in rear-view mirror

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Sandy, I clicked on the link but Facebook won't let me see the picture.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Aw. Sorry about that. I still haven't mastered how to work with graphic images on this site. I've got lots of product reviews with pretty pictures in the works but I just can't get them posted correctly. I get hung up on the middle-man step of the process (like Facebook, in this instance). I'm good at uploading straight from my desktop everywhere else on the web but I run into problems involving the third party between me and BellaO.

I'll keep working on it though and I'll send you the photo via email if you send me a private message with your email address. It's an awesome photo.

Thanks for letting me know this isn't working! smile

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Sandy, the editor assistance site has something about this. Also, see which editors add graphics here and send a PM asking for help.

Sorry, I am graphics challenged!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Graphics challenged - love that term! It's me, all right.

I will definitely follow through on your suggestions. I may need a day or two to do that, though.

Thank you so much for the advice! smile

PS - Love your column and newsletters. Sandwiches are one of my favorite foods - all of 'em!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I just watched this really cute 30-minute TV show on PBS. Today's segment was about Smithville. I grew up in Smithville and was living between Smithville and Bastrop when the fire broke out. There was a Bastrop episode aired earlier (I haven't seen it yet) and there's a link to that show, too, toward the bottom of this page so you can catch that one, too.

This was obviously filmed before the fire because the opening segment is a bicycle ride that begins at Bastrop State Park, which is almost 100% charred wood and ashes now. I think there's probably more coverage of the park in the Bastrop episode. No part of the town or other places in the show was damaged so everything you see here is still intact. It's a quirky little town. smile

The Daytripper - Smithville, Texas

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Really good news from the fire zone.

Bastrop State Park re-opened to the public on December 2. Almost 90% of it was affected by the awful fire in September. Most of it was destroyed completely and it will take decades for new forest to replace what was burned.

It's one of the most popular state parks in Texas, due in part to the unusual forest of loblolly pine trees unique to the area. Outside Bastrop County, the nearest loblollies are more than 100 miles away. They're beautiful.

It's also a prime habitat for the Houston toad, on the extremely endangered list. I haven't heard how the toad fared. It may be that it's too early to tell. Hopefully, the drought sent the toads way underground where they were protected from the fire but their breeding and feeding grounds were definitely affected. Sure hope they survive it.

Another reason the park is so popular is because it's located in the middle of a triangle of the largest cities in Texas - Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. It's easily accessible to so many people but it's gorgeous, too. If you're traveling through the area, please be sure to take a detour through the park. The rangers there have worked miracles already and they've got lots more to do. They'd appreciate your visit.

Bastrop (Texas) State Park

Last edited by Sandy / Cocktails Editor; 12/10/11 05:02 PM.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Sandy wathced the video and enjoyed the Houston toad smile.

Great to hear that the park has reopened.

How are you doing? Do you plan to move back in to the park or have you moved on?

Last edited by Asha - Scot./Eng. Culture; 12/10/11 09:31 PM.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I'm doing fine, thank you. I've moved on and won't be moving back to that county.

I grew up there (bored silly) and moved back about six years ago when a friend I met elsewhere moved there. She was in very poor health, with no hope for recovery. She was married and had two grown sons. One son is married and has a teenager and a baby on the way. The family relied on her for everything and would not accept the extent of her medical issues. They were in denial, no doubt. She moved her family to my home town because of all the stories I'd told her over the years about life in that oh, so quaint little town. It was just what she was looking for.

Anyway, Robin needed a friend who would let her vent and cry and who would laugh with her. She needed someone to listen to her worries and fears without adding to them. I was unhappy where I was so I moved there because she was there.

Have you seen "Tree of Life," a recently released movie starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn? The scenes taking place in the 1950s were shot in Smithville, my home town. Even in 2011, it's still 1950s quaint.

Thought I'd open a small cafe or get serious about a writing career. The cafe never happened but the writing did. Over the years, I grew very bored with the small town and the lack of good food at the supermarket and in restaurants. Before writing, I was a professional chef and I've studied nutrition all my life so good, healthy food is just a part of who I am. I knew I could continue writing from anywhere so that's what I've done. Can't do that with a food establishment.

My plan was to move on after Robin died. That happened in May. I saw her two days before she passed away and we had a good laugh together; I'm so grateful for that final memory of her.

Since then, I'd been planning a move far away but had thought I'd actually have a workable plan in place when the time came. I learned a wildfire makes the plan.

Right now, I'm living in private quarters at my sister's house. It's about 30 miles west of Austin, which is where I want to finally land (I think). I think I'll soon have my writing biz running a little more smoothly than it's going right now. I'm planning to start looking for a place to rent long-term in Austin after the first of the year. That's where all my best friends are now. Interestingly, my very closest friend there is named Robin, too! smile

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Funny how life sometimes seems to give you a push in to things you had been thinking about but not manifesting.

So sorry to hear about your friend Robin, Sandy, but from what you say you gave her huge support and friendship and she died knowing she was loved.

I started writing regularly whilst living in a small town. I can empathise with the food issue - I found myself paying more for food in the Scottish Highlands than I had in London, and did not find it easy to get foods I took for granted in London.

I haven't seen Tree of Life, but will look out for it.

I admire your courage in the face of adversity Sandy. Wishing you strength and clarity.

Last edited by Asha - Scot./Eng. Culture; 12/10/11 09:42 PM.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
More GOOD NEWS from the fire zone:

This is day #4 for the Extreme Makeover Home Edition for Mizzy Zdroj. She, of course, isn't there to do any heavy lifting (she's already done that!). Mizzy, her husband, and three children (a grown daughter and twins about 10 years old) are enjoying a "Christmas Extravaganza" in New York City this week while her dream home is being built in Bastrop County, right near where I lived before the fire.

Mizzy is a volunteer firefighter. There are no employed, professional firefighters in Bastrop County. It's a rural county and all firefighting is done by trained volunteers. (Except in this case, when the fire was just too big for the volunteers to handle. We had help from all over the US.)

Mizzy fought the fire for three days before learning her house had been demolished. Her home was in the heart of the fire zone so it wasn't surprising news although it's not easy news to process and nonetheless heartbreaking even when expected (I can vouch for that). Mizzy didn't fight the fire at her house; she fought it everywhere else. Her mission was to save as many lives and homes as possible and she did just that, even when it meant losing her own home.

The fire continued to rage for weeks and Mizzy continued to fight it.

She and her family live off the land, raising livestock and garden produce that they sell locally. When she lost the house, she lost the farm. She's also an artist so she lost that avenue of income, too.

I don't know yet when this episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition will air. They haven't even finished the house yet and Mizzy and family are still enjoying holiday season in the Big Apple. I'll keep you posted, though.

Guess where Mizzy's new house is located. It's about 100 comfortable yards from the fire station. I think the fire house is getting a makeover, too.

Makeover for Local Firefighter

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.