Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Roxie's gone again because my friend (staying to keep watch on our house) had to evacuate. There came a point where looting was becoming an issue so anyone caught within the fire zone would be arrested. (They even jailed a wheelchair-bound ex-Marine Vietnam vet for staying to defend his home - made lots of people very angry).

Anyway, Ed had to leave and is staying in a hotel in a town nearby. He could not take the cat with him. He took it to my brother's house, where the cat's never been before amongst people she's never seen before. My brother isn't a cat person; his wife's allergic. Because my brother and I aren't fond of each other, nobody called to tell me where my cat was. So nobody asked me what to do with my terrified cat to make the transition as smooth as possible.

I'm staying at my sister's house and my mother is here too (read: mucho friction). My brother DID tell my mother that the cat was at their house (she lives with bro) but she didn't bother to pass the word. Instead, she's been saying for the past week that her family / household wants a cat so they'll adopt Roxie for me. I told her no a few times then I just quit responding when she said that. Roxie's not up for adoption.

What did brother do? He took her outside, opened up her cat carrier, thinking she'd hop out to pee and the hop right back in, all cozy and happy. What REALLY happened is that she immediately disappeared. No one has seen here since Friday night.

Poor baby survived six days in a raging inferno single-handedly only to be lost to family dysfunction. I'm learning so, so many things during this event.

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Sandy, I've just come across this thread. I hope you'll be able to salvage all the things you need from your house today and find a new place of your own soon, and I hope Roxie finds her way back to you safe and sound. Thinking happy thoughts for you!

Lane Graciano
Today in History
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Fire is almost entirely contained - day #15, I think. I've spent the last few days at my smokey house, sorting through and packing up. I'm sure gonna miss the place. I'm hoping the missing cat, Roxie, will show up there some day soon! She'll be with friends there till I can retrieve her myself. I'm thinking that's what will happen, if ever I see her again.

Meanwhile, camping out in the living room of my hostile sister is one of the least productive experiences I've ever done in my life and I am desperately seeking long-term shelter in a more peaceful setting. Bad news about that? So are about 1,500 displaced families.

This next phase of life is going to be quite the new adventure. I'm getting a little full of the limbo required to get from Point A to Point B so I'm really looking forward to moving on. Any ideas, anybody?

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Ugh, I can't imagine what you're going through. Life sure has a way of throwing curves at us. How we handle the steering through them is the tough part. I personally have always felt every step is necessary for the next one. You may not see what all this was for now, but maybe sometime soon, you will have the "ah ha moment". Your unproductive time may be leading up to a super productive time? I'm holding hope for your Roxie's return and sending lots of energy towards quick answers and solutions for you. Wish I had a room.
Dawn

Dawn Engler
Alaska
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thanks for all that, Dawn, but please know I think I probably like you better that you do not have a room for me. And that's a beautiful thing.

I, too, think the steering through from one step to the next is the true test of the event and it's only as tough as I make it become. I was needing to move on but was dragging my feet about it. Today, I wish I had a more solid mailing address but I do still have two feet to drag. Not everybody is so fortunate.

I think the unproductive time is about to change. In the past few months, I've been working on an internet marketing partnership with some wonderful people I've worked with for years. We just launched our new company a few days ago. I think my biggest anxiety is not being 100% available for them right now as we get started. I've been very afraid that they'd find a more available writer for the job so I've been desperate to land somewhere and get back to work smoothly. Fortunately, the company is just getting started so we are only in the negotiation phase with new clients. I'm not a part of the negotiations and there's no real work ready for me yet. Best yet? The guys I'm working with are very understanding of my situation; they are the very best yet!!

One thing this fire experience has brought vividly to mind - the holes in my life that need filling. The experience has brought a great deal of clarity to my plans for the future, near and far. I knew those holes were there. I guess I just didn't give them credit for being such gapping problems as they actually are. Guess it's time to fill 'em as fast as I can.

All will be well and my cat will return. These things I know. Thank you for being there.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

It's now day #22 and the fire in Bastrop County is still burning. Fortunately, the current fires are small and somewhat contained, although dangerous flare-ups happen every day. The fire was so massive (20 miles by 24 miles, roughly, more than 34,000 acres) that you can drive for miles and miles and see nothing recognizable. The scene is surreal.

News photos of fire in full burn

More than 1600 homes lost completely, leaving thousands of people homeless. One of those lost homes belongs to my friend Ed's dad, who is 82, widowed, and suffering through the early stages of Alzheimer's. He has no interest in starting all over again but he's in good spirits, he's surrounded by family who loves him and is taking outstanding care of him.

Bastrop State Park was ravaged by the fire. It's a few miles from my house. The park occupies more than 6,000 acres and almost all of it was destroyed by the fire. Only 50 to 100 acres remain untouched; fortunately, those saved acres contain most of the park structures - admin, tourist, cabins, pool, etc. Some of these structures are on the national list of historic buildings so many people are glad they were spared.

In previous posts, I've mentioned taking refuge at the home of a hostile sister. I was SO wrong about that sister. She's kind, generous, nice, and I'm really enjoying getting to know her better. She's even offered me long-term private living quarters here at her house and I'm taking her up on her offer. I think our problems in the early stages of my evacuation here stemmed from my mother, who came here with me. She tends to pit her children against each other and, now that she's gone back to her own home, there is a great deal of peace and pleasantry here between my sister and me.

My cat is still missing. It's been 22 days since I've seen her. I know she'll find her way back to our house in the burn zone; she was very, very happy there. Good people are rebuilding there, they love her, and will take good care of her when she returns. They'll let me know the minute they catch a glimpse of her. I know I'll see her again but I'm just miserable thinking about the ordeals she's already endured alone and the frightening and treacherous journey she's on right now. I expect a happy ending.

Roxie, the cat

Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, and prayers. I've used them all!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Here is a spare prayer, thought and a few words for you then Sandy. Was wondering how you were when I saw this post pop up again. Sorry your cat is still not with you, glad you and your sister have made peace.

God bless.

Linda

Linda Heywood

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thank you, Linda. I'm grabbing hold of every spare prayer that comes my way.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Earlier today I was thinking how I hadn't heard anything from you about how you were doing. Was ready to try messaging you. But when I sat down to do it, here you were!

I had already decided the "no news is good news" didn't apply, because I'm pretty sure you'd tell us at once if Roxie had found you. Sorry to learn that she hasn't.

But, Sandy, you realized that when so much was lost, that had to be something new on the horizon. I bet you never thought that part of it would be a new relationship with your sister. It sounds as though you have each found a friend and I'm so glad for you both -- something to treat with care, but with open hearts.

BTW I hadn't realized that Roxie is ring-tailed! Near me is a little "Tropical Zoo." Their lease is up, but haven't moved yet. I hadn't even known what was there when they were a going concern, but with the lease ending at the end of August, discovered they had ring-tailed lemurs, so went to see them.

The Latin name is Lemur catta. They're adorable. When I do my weekly walk through the park, I stop by to visit. I learned on Sunday that the parent couple were obtained when confiscated from the illegal pet trade. They were so happy and relaxed, they produced twin babies last year. The four of them are lovely!

Lemur catta

Blessings and good wishes to you and your extended family.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

So nice to hear from you, Mona, and I l-o-v-e the ring-tailed lemur photo. Critters with ringed tails have a special place in my heart at the moment. Thank you for knowing that.

You are so right about something new coming from this experience and it is looking like a renewed relationship with my sister. Maybe both of my sisters.

I'm staying with Nancy, who's one year younger than I am. Our other sister, Rose (one year younger than Nancy), lives a few blocks down the street. Nancy and Rose were always very close; still are. When we were growing up, they did everything together and were the cowgirls / athletes in the family. I was the bookworm crazy about the Beatles.

Nancy was married for 35 years (divorced three years ago), has three sons, three lovely daughters-in-law, and seven grandchildren. I've never married and have no children. Our lifestyles are so different that we grew apart over the years. We've both agreed that we can make this work and I've even suggested we might have a little bit of fun, too. I think we'll have lots of fun. All will be well.

I'll keep you posted. This roller-coaster ride hasn't yet come to a complete stop.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.