Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
They are Red Shouldered Hawks (slightly smaller than Red Tail Hawks). They have lovely barred feathers when seen from beneath and their range is from the bottom tip of Texas up to Minnesota and all points east. They also have some California "cousins."

With wings being spread and whacked, we can already see the darker feathers coming in. Yesterday my husband was telling Chief Martin about our babies. He commented we have some "Good Medicine" at our house. I couldn't agree more. Watching these little ones grow in the midst of all the turmoil here and around the world is life affirming.

This is a photo of the ACTUAL Grandmother, mother of "The Girl" who is now "Momma Hawk." With a third generation, we definitely need better names. I got confused trying to type that sentence smile

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Well my husband added his 2 cents about the nicknames I had chosen based on nest positions and 2 of the four directions. Our temporary nicknames now have nicknames "Yank" for my husband and "Reb" for me. What do you want to wager that Yank is a female and Reb is a male? It would be quite normal for us to get it backwards smile

Another roof top photo shoot in the morning. We're going to try the digital camera too for faster posting ability. The nest gets unobstructed sunlight from the east. I hoping that will help with clarity.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/21/11 01:44 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Chief Martin is right -- you do have Good Medicine at your home.

I love the names Rebel and Yankee. You will enter those names into the poll, I hope. Have you gotten more suggestions in from readers?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
We're up to 6 suggested name pairs. We'll keep it open for another week. My husband was back on the roof this morning. Momma Hawk took off after some pesky crows. This photo shoot was without incident.

Rebel's feathers are getting quite dark and little Yankee's head is still quite white. We'll be posting photos shortly. They are still too little to get a good shot with the digital camera. so it's back to Walgreens this afternoon. The photo techs there are as excited as we are to see new baby pictures.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Shark
Shark
Oh wow oh wow!!! Simply gorgeous picture!! You are so blessed to have this wild beauty so close by! You definitely draw trust to you, evidenced by the birds presence and letting you share the birth of their new babies! Thanks so much for sharing this beauty!

.... #689221 05/21/11 04:56 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Jane, your hawkwatch is beautiful and exciting.

A friend of mine has had a nestbox for blue tits for many years. Recently I've been agog seeing the parents coming and going and hearing the chicks all shouting me-me-me. One year I happened to be visting when the chicks fledged. I was gazing out the window (lovely view) and suddenly there was a blur. And then another. I doubt I'll be lucky enough to see the current family fledge.

But hawks, wow! Even more amazing. I noticed one of your postings about mommy hawk chasing a crow away. Just this evening I saw a crow really annoying a heron. Crows are sometimes rather human - and I don't mean humans at their best - in their ways!

Looking forward to hearing more about the hawks. And BTW congratulations on becoming a full editor!

PS For those not aquainted with them, here is a drawing of a blue tit. They are quite small birds.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks Mona, love the rendering. I'm off to Walgreens and should have photos posted this evening.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Shark
Shark
Such a pretty little bird!

.... #689404 05/22/11 01:04 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Please accept my apologies for not getting the photos posted. I was about to head out and the TV show on the Georgia Guide Stones had come on and I sat down to watch the end. I fell asleep the first time I tried to watch it and the same thing happened again yesterday evening. I need to get the DVD of that show for when I'm fighting insomnia smile I was sitting on the couch and the next I knew it was after 10pm. Already comfortable, I just stayed on the couch with all the windows open.

At about 6am I was awakened suddenly. I think all birds have a variety of calls. When a hawk is threatened by something, that call is very distinctive, high pitched and LOUD. Apparently our babies learned this call around 6am. In the still of the early morning, it was echoing and sounded like they were on the ground next to the window. Barely awake, I rushed out the back door to our best vantage point and both were standing in the nest, facing North, and screaming their little heads off.

I don't know if Momma Hawk was late with breakfast or what. I couldn't see any threats to the nest. Poppa Woodpecker was already up too. There is a hollow limb in our camphor tree. When he pecks on it, the echoes are so loud it sounds like rapid gunfire. It's 6am, I'm standing in the middle of the yard, barely awake, trying to check the babies, and he picks that precise moment to let loose on that limb!

Oh well, if any neighbors were up, they already know we're crazy. Seeing me in the backyard looking up and then ducking to avoid "bullets" wouldn't be that unusual.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
What a delightful story, Jane. At first I was very concerned about your Hawk babies. Then realized they were probably just hungry. At least you made it safely back inside. Poppa Woodpecker sure is dedicated to his work. Glad to know the babies are alright.

Get some rest and give my greetings to all your beloved critters.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.