Chipmunk
Linda,
Thank you for ending this now.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Man has always speculated on the origin of the universe, including himself. I feel, with Herbert Spencer, that whether the universe had an origin- and if it had- what the origin is will never be known by man.

Hi Les - re the above - is it Richard Dworkin? OK - just to prove I didn't use the Great God Google - I'm not sure if he is Dorkin or Dworkin - but (dodgy brain cells excused I hope) he is a famous English atheist. Ah, on reflection....(well you said to channel random thoughts!) - Herbert Spencer is from a different century! Erm...which one? I'm guessing...17th century? Probably way off the mark but again to plead my case..random thoughts!!

So - not Richard D then. I'll get my thinking cap on (and clearly I need to).

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Embarrassing!!! OK - Google beckoned and now I'm thinking (though still not sure) - that the man who made the above quote is the man who made this one (two can play at this game!)

* I feel most deeply that this whole question of Creation is too profound for human intellect. A dog might as well speculate on the mind of Newton! Let each man hope and believe what he can.
o London Illustrated News (21 April 1862)

At least you have the date as a clue - Victorian England, no less. So Les - who is it, and is it the same guy?

If it is not the same man, btw, please let me keep on guessing. I'm just a child at heart queen

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 03/25/11 12:22 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Ah well - in for a penny...

An atheist before Darwin could have said, following Hume: "I have no explanation for complex biological design. All I know is that God isn't a good explanation, so we must wait and hope that somebody comes up with a better one." I can't help feeling that such a position, though logically sound, would have left one feeling pretty unsatisfied, and that although atheism might have been logically tenable before Darwin, Darwin made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist.

-- Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker (1986), page 6

There you go - it's Dawkins! (Not your guy, btw Les, but my English guy, wot I couldn't spell). wall

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 03/25/11 12:31 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Hi Eileen,
Thanks, you sure are fun and witty!
Your 2nd guy must have had the Beagle on his mind when he made that "dog" remark as he pondered the theory of the origin of the species.

Since you are such a great sport and persistent knowledge seeker what if I give you some clues. Spencer Tracy played the role of Henry Drummond a fictional character (loosely adapted from the real life of the man I quoted) in the movie (taken from the play of the same name)_____ the ___ set in the fictional town of "Heavenly Hillsdale" circa 1925 as the band played "give me that old time religion" and the American city vs. country debate raged on.

Changing random thoughts, based on my glossary of terminology article how would Dr. House describe himself?

Last edited by Les-Mexico, Ath/Ag Sites; 03/25/11 08:02 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OK - yes I believe its Charles Darwin, as I'm sure there's a film where his theory of evolution was pilloried by society and there was a court case to drag him (his theory) over the coals.

Said coals provided by the Hell and Damnation theory of evolution aka Genesis.

Or I may be entirely wrong. Still avoiding Google though!

And gosh - how would Dr House describe himself. Hmmm....

'A superior intellect disguised as a pathological phenomenon' or howsabout 'An ornery old git with the instincts of Sherlock Holmes and the job of Dr Watson'. smile

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 03/25/11 08:28 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
And if Americans don't use the word 'git' - then an ornery old guy!

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Hi Eileen,

It was Darwin's theory that was being debated in the movie.

In real life, it took place in Dayton, Tennessee in 1925 in the famous "Monkey Trial/Scopes Case. The man I am quoting was the defense lawyer (arguably America's most famous and controversial lawyer of that era) affiliated with the American Civil Liberties Union which had approached Scopes to be the "guinea pig" in the legal debate about teaching the theory of evolution in public school classrooms.

Your takes on House are super but...
In one of the House episodes Cutty's (sp?) mother was trying to convince House that he should convert to Judaism and House replied "I can't, I am an atheist" and she said something to the effect "that doesn't matter, half the Jews I know are atheists."

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
OOPS, I forgot. One more clue to his identity, Talk about divine irony! His initials are also CD.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OK - at this point I must throw in the towel because truly, its so long since I saw that film I can't remember who the guy was and I could google it but then...maybe someone else knows? Or perhaps you could tell us who it is? If he's not famous then I ain't got a clue and let's face it - I couldn't even spell Richard Dawkins and he is forever explaining his 'evolutionist as atheist' theories in Britain! Thanks for the info though, Les.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
Page 3 of 72 1 2 3 4 5 71 72

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.