logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 72 1 2 3 4 71 72
I think scandinavia has a high proportion of atheists / agnostics because it's a comparatively wealthy area of the world. wealth = education = rational thought processes = less religious people. If you look at where the most bigoted and fundamentalist of religious people are located, mostly they will be in Third world countries where most people are illiterate with no access to education.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Hi Firegirl, thanks for your post,

If you look at the countries that have the highest GDP and the best rankings in education you will see a significant correlation between those variables and the rate of non-religious persons in those countries. Yet, I do not believe that it is an absolute linear correlation as other factors "more than probably" (a very agnostic expression) come into play. Just take the US (albeit a very large and diverse country compared to the ones in Scandanavia) for example that ranks fairly high in both categories but has a relatively low percentage of non-religious persons. I would imagine worldwide that there are x amount of millions of individuals who have both high levels of education/intelligence and are affluent who are theists.

I have read that in Scandanavia other contributing factors could be their adverse reaction to religious prostelization combined with their historic reaction to Christianity "invading" their countries.

What do you think are the contributing factors for both individuals and societies in determining religious or non-religious beliefs?

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Firegirl are you insinuating that people who believe in God cannot think for themselves and are incapable of rational thought lol. I certainly hope not!

How do you equate wealth with knowledge? And if the Scandinavian countries are so rich and educated how come they have the highest suicide rates in the world? That is real ration thinking for you.

Last edited by Linda - Islam; 03/24/11 08:03 AM.

Linda Heywood

Linda19 #672530 03/24/11 08:34 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Linda, if you are going to shoot arrows please make sure that they are tipped with the right poison lol. Your statement (which I question has much/any validity to what Firegirl was saying or the question in hand) that Scandanavian countries "have the highest suicide rates in the world" is not close to being accurate." Based on data from the World Health Orginization (2008):

Finland #14
Sweden #26
Norway #36
Denmark #40

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Les-Mexico, Ath/Ag Sites
Who do you think is responsible for this following quote and by these words alone do you have enough evidence to conclude that this person is an atheist or an agnostic?

Man has always speculated on the origin of the universe, including himself. I feel, with Herbert Spencer, that whether the universe had an origin- and if it had- what the origin is will never be known by man.

The following quotes are from the same person as the one above, any ideas as to who it is and how her/his belief system could be described? Also, what do you think about the sentiments expressed in any/all of the quotes?

In spite of all of the yearnings of men, no one can produce a single fact or reason to support the belief in God or in personal immortality.

Just think of the tragedy in teaching children not to doubt.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Well Les not according to my sources, murder and suicide are very high in Scandinavian countries. I guess it depends on which source you use and yours is a bit outdated.

So my arrows were tipped with very good poison just a different kind from yours I would say.

I disagree with the sweeping statement which suggests that a rich, educated non believer from Scandinavia has a more rational thought processes than a poor, uneducated believer from a third world country because it all depends on the kind of knowledge you consider to be important in this life. A human being does not have to be 'educated' to be able to reason right from wrong.

Last edited by Linda - Islam; 03/25/11 05:57 AM.

Linda Heywood

Linda19 #672795 03/25/11 08:36 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Linda, I see that you now throw "murder" into the mix in addition to suicide both of which are not in my opinion germaine to the discussion. I see that you again neglected to cite your "sources." Just for the sake of clarification and accuracy (to allow you to substantiate your point of view), would you please state and document those sources.

Also "very high" if that is indeed the case, is quite different than the "highest" as you previously stated. Once again, not relevant at all, though!

Perhaps it would be best if no one, including you, not make any sweeping statements as you have done unless verifiable proof/evidence is offered at that time.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
The highest suicide rate for young females is in Mauritius

The country with the highest suicide rate for males is Lithuania

Scandinavian countries are pretty low on the lists.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Thanks Vance,
I had located the sources of data that you provided us with but decided not to go with them because they are from 1994 and 1995 respectively. The one that I decided to cite is from 2008, the World Health Organization, and unless PROVEN otherwise should be "up-to-date" enough.

Once again, going back to my original "random thought," what do suicide rates and now alleged high murder rates have to do with why Scandanavia has verifiably the highest percentages of non-religious persons of any region in the world?

Last edited by Les-Mexico, Ath/Ag Sites; 03/25/11 10:41 AM.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

I will end this now as I do not wish to cause offence.

Last edited by Les-Mexico, Ath/Ag Sites; 03/26/11 02:02 PM.

Linda Heywood

Page 2 of 72 1 2 3 4 71 72

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.