Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
OP Offline
V
Hi all,

New article - Labelling children with Special Needs

Would love your views on this topic. It's one that's always up for debate!

Take care,

Vicki

Vicki McCarthy - Special Education Editor
SpecialEducation

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Vicki -

There is a hearing processing 'problem' that runs very strongly in my father's family. (I don't see it as a problem and believe that it is responsible for much of my success in life.) My sister and brother were officially diagnosed, I was not. I learned coping skills from older relatives. My sister was regularly told that her "problem" was to blame for things and taught some not particularly useful coping skills in school. My brother was told that the way his mind works would make some things harder and other things easier and not to get discouraged by the fact that the hard things would mostly be earlier in life but once he got through those things, things like graduate school would be very easy for him and he could achieve a lot.

I view the hearing processing thing positively (although they now have a cure - not just coping skills - that works for some people and I'm looking into it because it won't take away the positive things I've gained from my 'problem' but will make me more efficient.) My sister feels so negatively about it that she won't even talk about it. My brother is neutral (but went to grad school.)

It is true that you need the label to get services, this is an issue I'm dealing with myself right now. I think how the label is dealt with is very important. If a label is a reason for failure, that's not positive for anyone. Reasons are good, but every "label" has a positive side and we need to remember those.

Julie

D
D
Being a Deaf-Blind Intervenor I find using labels for people with special needs can get pretty tricky, i personally use labels only to explain for example how one's deafblindness can affect their abillity to learn language or cope with their environment, but i can see how certain labelling can possibly negatively impact how one sees persons with special needs or how the person or persons see themselves. i try to be sensitive to others feelings and circumstances without pitying them, but when treating each other individually and equally in my line of work; sometimes you can't always anticipate how one would react to using labels or being labelled. So i try to be as politically correct as possible unless someone with more experience in my profession corrects me. don't know if this is the correct way to approach it, but it's the best way i know how at the moment.

Moderated by  Celestine - Special Ed 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.