Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#603448 06/04/10 02:11 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Getting your first solar panels can be an exciting, and confusing, experience. Let's open up the forum here to discuss all things solar.

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
How much power can one get from solar panels? Can I use my applianices like AC, microwave, toaster and fan off solar, or just smaller amp needs like my laptop and TV?

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
You can definitely get yourself set up to power your appliances like a coffee maker, microwave, toaster, small fan, and the furnace too. The only thing I am not sure about is an air conditioner. Many solar places have worksheets that list all of the appliances that you use so you can determine what your power needs are. So the big considerations are what are you going to use, and how often will you use them. Will the fan be running an average of four hours every day? The coffee maker on for 30 minutes every day?

When we got our first solar panel, we filled out one of those worksheets. At that time, we were minimalists on a very tight budget. Basically, we just needed to power up the onboard lights, our cell phones, laptops, stuff like that. We weren�t using any appliances, so we didn�t factor that in. However, we did get a bigger panel than we believed we needed, just in case. We ended up with a 50 watt panel that we purchased for around $200-250. There is so much room to go up though, they have 320 watt RV panels!

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
S
SWK Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
What about weight as well as size? (I'm assuming the panel is attached to the roof, right?) We are concerned with weight because we're pretty much at our max towing weight. The added height would impact our wind resistance while driving.

SWK
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
"We ended up with a 50 watt panel that we purchased for around $200-250."

That sounds pretty good to me. That is just for the panels, yes? Then you need to buy batteries and also hire someone to set it all up?

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Yep, that is just for the panel. You know you actually don't have to have anybody connect anything for you. Just have them tell you what to do. You could just have the panel sit in your window or bungee cord it to one of your tires. You actually can connect it to the coach battery you have right now. And you would need an inverter.

However, if you do want to secure the solar panel to the roof, then you would need to get somebody to do it. And then they would run the wiring inside and do all the connections for you. Many places sell the RV solar kits and the cost includes everything that you need to go along with whatever size panel you choose.

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I do have an inverter but i think I'd need a larger one.

That does not sound too hard about taking the panel in and out as needed and hooking it to the coach battery.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
SWK - I didn't answer your weight question. RV solar panels seem super light. I can pick our standalone panel up really easily, but I'll have to check exactly how much it weighs and get back with you.

Jilly, that really is the easiest method. I'm still doing research for an article on the basics of solar. Hopefully I will have that one finished in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know when it's posted. smile

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Thanks. There is a lot to learn for setting up solar systems, but i suppose at some point one just has to DO it. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I think you are right. Hey, you could make your art studio run on solar!

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RV Editor Erin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
America250
by Angie - 09/23/24 08:36 PM
Herod and Mary
by Angie - 09/23/24 08:30 PM
What's in your closet?
by Angie - 09/23/24 08:26 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 09/21/24 07:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 09/19/24 07:50 PM
Finding Time to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 09/18/24 01:37 PM
Spouses Vanessa Redgrave/Franco Nero Onscreen
by Angie - 09/17/24 09:18 AM
InDesign Fixed Layout ePub Custom Motion Path
by Digital Art and Animation - 09/17/24 01:30 AM
InDesign ePub Hidden Object Game Hot Spot Buttons
by Digital Art and Animation - 09/14/24 02:42 AM
InDesign ePub Hidden Object Game - The Mechanics
by Digital Art and Animation - 09/14/24 02:35 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.