Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Granny that is AWESOME that you are going to manage a shelter - and I'm sure you will do it amazingly well! I think that's an incredible goal and it is thrilling you got the degree and training to be able to do it to the best of your ability.

Kudos to you, I think most of my friends would find that a quite admirable profession smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thanks Lisa. I've had raised eyebrows that I'd spend money for a degree to work in a low paying profession. It's all a matter of what you want, and I want to help animals. Actually, I would be a benefit for a shelter that is operating marginally financially. I'll have my Social Security, pension and my own nest egg to back me up so I don't need an enormous salary, therefore more of the donations could be directed at medical and daily care for the animals. I currently volunteer for a local rescue organization as well as our local humane society. I'm getting a lot of hands-on-experience to take with me.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
Parakeet
Parakeet
Walking Granny - That's so cool! Julie

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thanks Julie

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Granny - I imagine people who say things like that to you also feel it's a waste of time when doctors go to Africa and help fight malaria and such. They probably feel it's a waste when someone becomes a lawyer only to work inexpensively in inner cities to help rape victims.

Don't you worry at ALL for what they say. It is incredibly admirable that you are working to help animals, and an inspiration to us all!

Low Carb Forum
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
Walking Granny and Lisa,
You are both well grounded in reality and have a passionate goal you are working towards. That to me is what everyone should be doing. If everyone were working toward something they have a passion for, there would be many more people who love their jobs and they would do them better too because they would care about what they were doing.
Both of you will be highly successful in your goals because of your passions. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Everyone has different values and the trick sometimes is to make sure we are living according to our own and not someone else's. You both demonstrate that it can be done. I mentioned that passion and knowing yourself well is important in an earlier post Self-Motivation Through Good Career Choice. I do feel passion is important for people to stay motivated in their distance learning courses and to help them choose the best school for themselves because they will know what they really want to learn. The best school for an individual also matches other needs and requirements in his/her life which is why it is so necessary to know him/herself well in all aspects of his/her life.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
L
L
Lisa, I certainly meant no offense in my suggestive comments about your educational pursuits. I must say that I am still a bit confused as to why you think it is worth the money to pay significantly more for your education than you need to, especially considering that the needs you described earlier seem to have been thoroughly met by your current skill set. As to the question of my background, which I have described in both an email and other posts, I am an entrepreneur, MBA and grad student finishing a second master's (philosophy and linguistics). I am currently serving as a graduate assistant at the University of Louisville (whose programs I have only mentioned in one post, my first, wherein I identified myself as a Master's candidate at the school) in the school's Delphi Center, which has immersed me in research about online learning, and through that research I found this forum. I honestly find it refreshing that you were skeptical of me, and to be honest, I was, and to a degree continue to be, skeptical of those who promote what I can't help but see as paying more for less (in this case, you). The websites ABOUND that promote Phoenix, Walden, Capella, etc. (and get well paid to do it) but you have to DIG to find information on all the established research universities offering great programs at half the cost (I suppose they could start advertising like the others do, but then those prices would have to go up!) So in my thinking, I hope only to get people to do the digging, see what will serve them best, and help to overcome some of the hype that multimillion dollar ad campaigns can drum up. I hope you don't see any of that as in any way intellectually dishonest or unethical; I don't. And when someone finally gets a fully accredited program online for FREE, you'd better believe I'll be touting that too!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Live2Learn - I admit I find it disconcerting that you are so determined to convince me that my chosen degree path - one I spent months researching and am enthusiastically thrilled about - is somehow a "bad choice" for me. I feel 100% it is perfect for me. The courses are AMAZING. The teachers are great, my fellow students are all 35-45, live primarily in my state, and have amazing managerial experiences that are helping me daily as we specifically talk about manager communication, employee relations, and other detailed issues. I have not found this combination of things ANYWHERE else in any of my networking groups, seminars, or anything else. I did not find this combination of course timing, online experience, student body makeup and and specific course topics *anywhere* else on the web in a fully online program.

I am absolutely thrilled with what I am getting. I cannot state highly enough how happy I am with every day of classes - I enthusiastically jump into the online forums to see what new things I can learn.

It is a little depressing to keep coming to this forum and finding you trying to tell me I made a bad choice, as if I am NOT getting absolutely what I want out of my experience. Which I am. How could you possibly make that decision for me?

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 04/21/10 05:25 PM.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
This is an interesting discussion to follow. IN my case, I went to the school of my choice - Prescott College - and have a degree in Conservation Biology (with an emphasis in Geology), with minors in Journalism and Psychology.

I loved school so much that a few years AFTER getting my degree I missed the school environment and signed up for two years at an excellent local college, just to take science classes for fun. I took the hardest, most intense science courses available and got a 4.0 GPA - with no other desire for further gain in life skills or income. I went ONLY to enjoy myself in an intense learning environment that covered biology in its many awesome forms.

My teachers never quite understood why I was back in school for no actual goal-related reason, but since I was enthusiastic in classes, helpful to other students, and obviously showing a great deal of joy in the information I was gaining, they loved me.

I went on to be a journalist. And yes, i am still paying off the school debt from that time. But I would still do it again, and again. It was wonderful! It was what I wanted to do with my time and energies.

So my POV is that if Lisa wants to enroll in ANYTHING, then YAY for her. If anyone wants to pursue knowledge in any form, YAY!

Last edited by Jilly; 04/21/10 07:26 PM.
Parakeet
Parakeet
Live2learn -
I'm curious, do you think that there is anything more to a degree than the schools reputation and the piece of paper? Is there any reason why you'd pay more, or recommend paying more, than the cost of the cheapest accredited program?

As I said earlier, I'm paying twice what I could have at a school with better name recognition and debatably better "extra" accreditation (there are multiple organizations that accredit CS-type degrees depending on the focus) because it better meets my needs. I'm half way through my program and completely satisfied with the decision I've made.

Julie

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.