Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#577335 01/11/10 07:49 PM
Craig58 Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
According to the Congressional Quarterly President Obama has been the most successful President in getting Congress to vote his way since 1953, when the started keeping records of it.

For the full report read this article:
Obama Wins in Congress

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Payoffs can do that, no matter who you are or what you do. People will always put aside something they might normally do if they are promissed something financial in reture.

I dont' feel we have the congress we once did and this to me isn't anything significant but even more of a point to be aware of our political surroundings on a level we the people can address.

The leaders we once turned to are no more, it's up to the everyday people, not special or political interests.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Craig58 Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Yes we don't have the likes of Nixon or Agnew anymore.

W
Shark
Shark
W
Nixon is not what the Conservative base of the Republicans are asking for, it never has been. We are asking for another Reagan. History seems to forget that it was Reagan who brought us back from the brink of double digit unemployment numbers. It was Reagan who cut taxes across the board. It was Reagan who ended the cold war.

It is Obama who has brought the unemployment number to an estimated %17 (He is quoted and on video as saying he is not interested in cutting taxes and creating jobs, he is more interested in fairness). It is Obama who is raising taxes across the board to kill more jobs. And it is Obama who is selling our national security to Russia in the form of giving them permission to access our nuclear weapons facilities and scrapping the missle DEFENSE system in Europe for God knows what in return.

As far as Obama's success in the Congress, I am not sure what there is to celebrate about this. President Obama has a phillibuster proof Congress- 60 votes in his favor. He has no opposition. Add to this the fact that these Congressmen and Congresswomen are going on the record with reporters admitting that they are not reading the bills they are signing into law. They are laughing when asked where in the constitution do they get the right to do "xyz."

These laws that have been passed over the past year have an immediate effect on the safety, security, and future intrests of this country as a whole. Does it not bother any Democrat that their leaders are openly saying, "sign! sign! don't read it! we need to act now!!" You would not do that when you buy a car, why would you do that when you create a law- if you were honest with yourself, you would admit that there is obviously something hidden in these multiple- thousand page bills.

We had a Congresswoman, Senator Mary Landrieu, who spoke in opposition of the Health "Care" Bill until her district recieved $300 million dollars (From the stimulus bill that was supposed to be a recovery act for America). She then switched her position on the bill. Hate to inform the average Dem, but that is a blatent bribe.

We have a literal thug with the muscle of SEIU and ACORN at his disposal. We have a corrupt Congress with no concept of right or wrong accusing every peep of opposition as racist, we have accomplices in the media that, for them, the hottest story is not the blatent lies and corruption of a President, but instead, how green his garden is and how tone his wife's arms are.

We are in a bad place right now and when history looks back, as it always does, it will ask why anyone supported the criminals in charge.

This entire situation is irrational to me and it is frustrating to the extreme.

-whoisjohngalt

Parakeet
Parakeet
Quote:
According to the Congressional Quarterly President Obama has been the most successful President in getting Congress to vote his way since 1953, when the started keeping records of it.

Not accurate; not since 1953, but since 1965: here's what the article actually says: "That was a bit less than 4 percentage points higher than the previous record, set by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1965, according to an annual study by Congressional Quarterly."

And the whole premise of this sycophantic piece is laughable, as Steven Schier, a political scientist at Carleton College in Minnesota observes at the end of the article: "How you begin to understand his success is as a triumph of party government. He's got the large and unified majorities, and those are the enabling conditions for his record high support score."

That's academese for "the Dems are the majority party in both House and Senate. The pres is a Dem; of course, he should be able to get most of his agenda passed."

And of course, the article does not mention the bribes and payoffs, noted by Eleise.

Blessings,
Linda Sue Grimes
Maya Shedd's Temple
Craig58 Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Sorry I never like Reagan. He was never one of my favorite Presidents. He was just an old Hollywood actor playing his final role as President. I prefer Gerald Ford or even Nixon to Reagan. Reagan's VP became a better President than he was in my opinion. I didn't like Reagan's hands off management style.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: LindaSueRepublican
Quote:

Not accurate; not since 1953, but since 1965: here's what the article actually says: "That was a bit less than 4 percentage points higher than the previous record, set by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1965, according to an annual study by Congressional Quarterly."

And the whole premise of this sycophantic piece is laughable, as Steven Schier, a political scientist at Carleton College in Minnesota observes at the end of the article: "How you begin to understand his success is as a triumph of party government. He's got the large and unified majorities, and those are the enabling conditions for his record high support score."

That's academese for "the Dems are the majority party in both House and Senate. The pres is a Dem; of course, he should be able to get most of his agenda passed."

And of course, the article does not mention the bribes and payoffs, noted by Eleise.

I've been out of the country for several weeks - what has he gotten Congress to pass?

Parakeet
Parakeet
Quote:
Sorry I never like Reagan. He was never one of my favorite Presidents. He was just an old Hollywood actor playing his final role as President. I prefer Gerald Ford or even Nixon to Reagan. Reagan's VP became a better President than he was in my opinion. I didn't like Reagan's hands off management style.

I said nothing about Reagan. I think you meant to respond to whoisjohngalt's message.

But since you bring it up: Why don't you give some examples of what you don't like about Reagan?

You say you don't like his "hands off management style." You mean like when he said in Berlin, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" That kind of "hands off management style"?

Blessings,
Linda Sue Grimes
Maya Shedd's Temple
Parakeet
Parakeet
The article "Obama Wins in Congress" was posted that gloats about Obama getting congress to pass some 96% of the bills he approves of. Why is that noteworthy? With a Democrat House and Senate, the question is, why can't he get 100%?

Anyway, you might want to read the article. A link to it is in the opening post on this thread.

Last edited by LindaSueRepublican; 01/13/10 07:57 AM.

Blessings,
Linda Sue Grimes
Maya Shedd's Temple
Craig58 Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Reagan is given too much credit for the fall of the Soviet Union. His "Tear down this wall" speech was just dramatic rhetoric, just like Kennedy's "Ich ein Berliner". The Soviet Union fell due to a continuous concerted effort by Democratic and Republican Presidents from Truman to George H. W. Bush. No single President or administration can rightfully lay claim to bringing down the Soviet Union. It was a process that took over 40 years. Everyone one deserves credit. It didn't happen over night and took the contribution of many people over many years to accomplish.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.