logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#553292 10/03/09 04:27 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi Llyn, After reading your weekly newsletter about Bamboo, I'm curious. Have you heard anything about bamboo NOT being a long lasting fiber? I've heard (am trying to think where) that some bamboo will start to disintegrate fairly soon and the garment will not last long.

Still trying to remember where I heard that. Nikki

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Hi Nikki,

Well, the only negative comment I recall hearing about how bamboo wears was on one of the spinning lists - someone was questioning how it held up when blended with wool and nylon for sock yarn. The writer did not think it would wear well.

I've been searching for some solid information but so far all I've found is places selling bamboo fiber products and they all say it wears well. But they do not go on to define exactly what they mean by "long wearing" or refer the reader to any information to substantiate their claims. Personally I think how long wearing fabrics made with bamboo may be depends upon exactly what the product is. Socks may well not wear as long as a blouse - but then consider the hard wear a sock takes compared to a blouse.

But then, let's consider that Edison made the first light bulb filaments from carbonized bamboo slivers (as in little bits of plant material, not slivers for spinning) and those last a long, long time.

True story: My grandmother's hose was built in 1915 and a light fixture was installed outside on the front porch, right above the front door. A light bulb was installed in that fixture when the house was built. That Edison light bulb was still going strong in 1962 - that's 47 years of Wisconsin weather. But that's the carbon bamboo.

The other stuff, well, I'll keep searching and let you know what I find. Wear may well depend on which method of processing is used to obtain the fibers.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Llyn #556827 10/16/09 12:14 PM
I'm spinning a blend of Merino-bamboo-and Tussah silk. The roving bag didn't indicate the percentages, but, this stuff is marvelous!! I've tagged it Merbasilk...lol...but I'm able to spin worsted/sport weight! (I've only been spinning a couple of years)This stuff is DEFINITELY going to go to a project for me!;~)

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Sounds like a lovely blend. smile

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Sounds like a lovely blend. smile

Llyn - Spinning Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.