Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#536189 07/13/09 08:01 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
I'm making eggplant parm for a dinner party friday nite. My recipe is quite basic..even the sauce is just plain tomato sauce spiked with organo, basil and garlic. Any suggestions to take it over the top without going to too much expense or time? I thought of using Newmans Own Sockaroonie instead of plain sauce, it's great.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Hi Granny...sounds like a lovely dinner party. I've never tried the Newmans but it is probably a good one. This recipe is pretty cost effective too.

When I make my eggplant parm for my family, I cut the eggplant into rounds (if the skin is fresh and new, I sometimes will leave it on or a part of it on. If it's a bit older or thick, I take the skin completely off)

I dip the eggplant in flour, egg and bread crumbs and fry it until golden brown. For the sauce, I use Hunts in a can, Classic Italian, Chunky Vegetable. A 26 ounce can costs about .99 cents (on sale) to $1.50. It has 1 gram of fat (no saturated or trans fats) no cholesterol, 2 grams of protein, 3 grams of dietary fiber, vitamins A and C and Calcium and iron. Not too shabby for under 2 bucks and enough to make a 9x13 pan. You also don't have to doctor it up at all, you can if you'd like to but it's really pretty good.

I always go light on the sauce with eggplant parm. I like to cut a piece that has just the right amount of sauce for taste and moistness but I like the flavors of the eggplant and cheeses to shine through and not get lost swimming in the sauce.

In a sprayed pan, I place a little sauce on the bottom, then my fried eggplant, a touch of sauce and my mozz and parm, then repeat layers....then bake.

Hope that's a good suggestion for you....let me know what you think smile

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Sounds great. Newmans Own is fantastic sauce. Sockarooni is every bit as good as any home made I've ever had. I googled for coupons for it and found one for $1.00 off 2 jars. Lucky me my grocer had them on sale too so I made out like abandit. I'll use your process to assemble and bake.. My vacatin week is going all too fast bu I'm havin a great time.

Granny
Gecko
Gecko

I will look for this when I go shopping next, you make it sound really good! And a coupon and a sale....way to go!

Why do vacation weeks go faster than work weeks....hmmmmm?!!!! Enjoy the rest of it smile

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Vacation is almost over and it feels like I need to go back to work to rest...hhahahahahahahaha. Dinner party was a smash, eggplant parm was great...caesar salad and rosemary/olive oil bread dipped in seasoned olive oil and margaritas. Snack was mango peach salsa mixed with cream cheese served with tortilla chips. Us girls know how to put the feedbag on..LOL LOL LOL

Granny
Gecko
Gecko

"Us girls know how to put the feedbag on" Right on girlfriend!! smile

Are you having fun "resting" at work this week?!?!

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
vacation was great....can't wait until the next one in September

Granny
Gecko
Gecko

I'm finding it hard to believe that it's almost August already! We've had sooo much rain and almost every day this summer that it's weird to think that Fall will be here in a couple of months. I wonder if we'll have an Indian Summer? That would be nice.

B
B
Yes, I love eggplant, good ingredients for vegetarian lasagna, taste so good and easy to make too.

Gecko
Gecko
Glad you enjoyed it smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.