Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
N
It was an accident. I thought the cap was on tight but it tipped over on my desk here last week and what a mess. The finish got destroyed. I have, HAD my computer on top of one of those cardboard desk pad. You know the kind with the stack of blank paper in them, and the cardboard got fused to the desk. I took everything off the desk shortly after I did this and it took me an hour to even get the cardbord unstuck. The finish on my beautiful, inlay desk is destroyed, as I said before.

I got some BIX Varnish and stain stripper 2 days ago and started stripping the top last night. I did about a third of the desk with two applications but I can see another is needed. I haven't taken everything off the desk as of right now, I was doing a "Test area" to see how this stuff works and it does. It says 2 applications should totally remove all varnish and stain but this hasn't. It works well so far.

Here's the problem. I haven't done the coping yet. The curved edges, am am wondering if anyone has and has any tips for me. It's not flat and I don't want to try to use the coarse steel wool just to get the stripper off. Any suggestions?

Once I get it ALL stripped I decided I am going to go with a bit lighter stain than I had before. I think it will look nice.

Oh and I picked up a new brush I hadn't see before. 2" Wooster Shortcut It has this tiny, little handle. Good for me since I have tiny hands. I do a lot of painting and this should be easier for me to handle, the tiny handle and all. I wonder why no one thought of this before. I think I will invest in the whole set.

I should probably take some pics so you all can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Navigaar; 06/03/09 09:54 AM.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
N
Here is the coping. I wasn't planning on stipping that too but obviously since it's visible right next to the top it's probably a good idea. Some of the stripper, as careful as I trying to be, leaked onto it. And it is part of the top.

What should I use to get the stripper OFF? Is there a special technique?

Last edited by Navigaar; 06/03/09 10:23 AM.

N
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
N

This is NOT fun.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I use to refinish antique furniture. It comes with a lot of curves and nooks and crannies.

It's been over 7 years though so I can't remember the name of the product but it is one I never went back from. It has two steps to it but stripped wonderfully.

You put on a thick liquid with a brush and placed either strips of cloth or a flexible woven material that came with the product on top of the area you treated. You wait for however long and go back and lift the material. It got everything out! If there was anything left it was so deep into the wood you really just needed to sand. I would use 7 different layers or different types of sand paper to get that baby smooth finish before I would stain and laminate. I think it was seven - maybe 5.

Anyway I got the product at Menards. Hope this helps.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 06/04/09 01:15 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
N
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
N

I have already done 2 complete coats of the stripper but the coping seems to be made from a different kind of wood. It's very stubborn. I am resorted to sitting here with a putty knife and scraping. The fine edges need very detailed and careful scraping. This is going to take forever.

I have to do at least one or maybe more coats on the top. It isn't uniform yet. YEESH!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.