Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
The recent chimp attack on a Connecticut woman has created a lot of controversy. Here is my take on the incident:
Chimps Are Not Pets

What do you think about this attack? Could it have been prevented? Should the owner of the chimp be held liable? Do chimps make appropriate pets? What about other primates, such as capuchin monkeys?

MaryEllen, Animal Life Editor
Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
How scary! I agree with the sentiments you expressed in your article. frown Very sad.

R
Parakeet
Parakeet
R
No primates make good pets.

On a report last night, a woman who runs a primate place in Gainesville said that primates get wild as they get older no matter how well they were "brought up".

Robin Rounds Whittemore, Fragrance Editor
Fragrance Website
Fragrance Forum

M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
That's so true, Robin. People who work with chimps in entertainment won't work with them once they are ten years old or so - too dangerous. That's one of the reasons I don't think chimps or orangutans should be used for film, TV, etc. - they have to use babies, so all the adults have nowhere to go. They end up in horrible circumstances, in terrible roadside zoos or even in medical labs. A lot of people don't even know what an adult orangutan looks like, because all you see on TV or in films are the babies.

I've been working with animals all my life, including lions, cheetahs, tigers, bears - all sorts of big predators. And the only animal I have *ever* been bitten by, in all these years, was a capuchin monkey. It was a nasty wound, too. I ended up with blood poisoning, and was out in the middle of nowhere in Ecuador at the time... but that's another story. crazy

Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Excellent article MaryEllen. Why do people think that they can change an animal's behavior simply because they love them? It has been proven again and again that they are wild animals and they are not pets.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I think the owner should be held liable, they're not pets as has been said. I think it's really cruel to keep a wild animal as a pet. I've seen such upsetting docu's on this - and the animals far too often get the blame frown

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
Well, it looks like one good thing to come of this attack is that a law banning the transport of chimps across state lines by private individuals has just been passed: Federal law bans chimp transport

But it does make me wonder - chimps are not, by far, responsible for the most deaths or injuries by exotic pets in the country. Tigers kill or wound far more people each year - but no law has passed preventing ownership of them.

I think the really horrific nature of this attack may have spurred law-makers, but I also think that they should be really looking hard at the ownership of large predators in general, not just focussing on chimps.

Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Isn't there any law that governs exotic pets? One that is specific as to what animals are considered exotic and dangerous?

(I guess not since people seem to have them) I'm just surprised that the issue hasn't been addressed before.

M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
Each state has its own set of laws. Some states have very strict laws banning ownership of any exotic pets, some states ban certain exotics but not others, and some states allow you to own anything you want. In Texas, for example, you can go to a swap meet and buy a tiger cub for about $400. No permits, no background check, no need to show that you have the facilities to care for it. In California, the laws are very strict - even the exotic 'pocket pets' like ferrets, hedgehogs, and sugar gliders are illegal here.

Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
The newest reports from the hospital where the victim is being treated say that she may not recover at all, and that if she does, she may be brain damaged.

Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.