logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I am another "taught by Grandma". Actually, my Mom began teaching me when I was 5 or 6; however, I didn't really get going at it until my Grandmother came to stay for a lengthy visit when I was 7; fifty years ago. I was taught using thread and didn't work with yarn until I was in my 20's. I remember that my Mom used the pencil hold (being of English descent) and my Grandma used the knife hold (being of German descent); and I remember them having discussions about the merits of the two different holds. Grandma won out for me and I use the knife hold. During that visit, she also taught me embroidery. Sewing I learned from my Mom, who was a very accomplished hand and machine seamstress.

Judy in Oregon

Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
G
Originally Posted By: Lynn_B
My grandmother taught me the basics; and it was a major challenge as she was a righty and I'm a lefty. The rest I picked up from how-to books.

Exactly how I learned except my mom taught me. My grandmother was a fantastic knitter though.

Gleda
K
K
I am enjoying everyone's memories.
My grandmother always had filet crochet and chair sets around her house, but I didn't have an interest until many years later. I decided I wanted to start crocheting doilies, so I bought books and taught myself. I ripped out a lot and gave up several times in frustration, but eventually I learned how to do it.

Discover the great writing ideas you already have!
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
P
P
One of my co-workers taught me the basic stitches in one day three years ago. From there, I taught myself how to read patterns. When I didn't understand certain instructions in a pattern, I would search the web for hours (sometimes days) until I got someone who could explain it to me in a way that made sense to me. I've tried to teach two people to crochet and it didn't work for either one of them.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
My mother tried to teach me when i was young, but i'm left handed and she would get so frustrated because she said i was doing it backwards, she was right handed so she gave up on me. she did some beautiful work. To this day i wish i could learn

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
When I was 16 I wanted to learn how to knit and crochet so I went to a yarn store and bought a kit to make a baby sweater with very tiny yarn and size 1 and 3 knitting needles! I thought if it was smaller it would be easier! crazy It took me weeks, but I finished it and I was hooked. Then I bought a "learn to crochet" book, a hook and a skein of yarn and started making scarves. It was a very productive summer. That was 39 years ago and I've never stopped knitting and crocheting.

B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
I can only wish I could say my grandmother taught me. My grandmother did do it but I had no interest in it at that time (if I could only go back and learn more from them I would.)

Most of the little hobbies I do I have learned from being here at home with time on my hands and my internet on. I also have a good friend over in Mississippi that came to my house to help me with my knitting and crocheting (I video taped her and posted it on my blog so I could look back when I needed to.)

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Gecko
Gecko
I also was taught by both of my grandmothers, they each had their own way of crocheting and it stuck.

I started with granny squares, made afghans for boyfriends-the love of the craft exists even if the boyfriends are long gone. I remember making hats with the cut outs of cans for awhile and looking back they were awful/unique/awful/expressive. I love crocheted lace still and find that whenever I sit with my crochet hook I still think of my grandmas, one of whom is 93 and is still crocheting afghans.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
B
B
I was taught by a woman who lived a few doors from us when I was 10. She was partially paralyzed from Polio. She taught me sc and had me make a washcloth. After that she taught me to make a ripple afghan. Haven't stopped since. Been crocheting for over 40 years! Thank you Margie!!!!

K
K
My grandmother taught me to knit when I was 10. I have always wanted to learn crochet. I recently taught myself crochet with the help of youtube. I use both the pencil and knife techniques, when my hand gets tired with one, I switch to the other. I have practiced stitches over and over again (crochet and unravel) until I felt like I was finally getting it. I am working on a simple afghan now.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Holly - Crochet Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.