Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
K
I was taught to crochet by my grandmother. I actually can't remember being taught - I just seemed to graduate between a tangled mess of yarn and the creation of my first granny square - but there must have been a lot of patience expended by my grandmother as I proffered another knotted mass and asking if this was crochet!

Can you remember being taught and by whom - and can you remember any hints or tips from when you were learning?

Have you taught anyone to crochet and any tales to tell...?

Kate

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
My grandmother taught me the basics; and it was a major challenge as she was a righty and I'm a lefty. The rest I picked up from how-to books.

Shark
Shark
I was taught as "payment" for visiting a woman down my street who needed her feet and toes exercised. She had infantile paralysis and was bound and determined she would never be wheelchair bound.

I was fascinated by what she could do with a hook and thread and told her I'd take lessons rather than money. It was a win-win for both of us. I've since taught my sister to crochet and she loves it, too.

Sharlene Thomas
Career Training Editor, Bella Online
CreativeHandz
StariaMelodies
Parakeet
Parakeet
One of my friends in high school taught me to crochet and I tried to teach her to knit. I can crochet, but I'm not sure if she really learned to knit. I don't really remember much other than looking at her hands and trying to do the same myself.

Julie

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I am self taught. I took knitting lessons but didn't like it much so I saw an article in a Woman's Day magazine and went from there. My mom always wanted to teach me but I resisted. I have taught 3 people to crochet and one was a lefty but she picked it up fast.

WHEN IT RAINS, LOOK FOR THE RAINBOW
L
L
I also was self taught mainly books and the net became very handle for me still learning but, I can say I am doing great for a self taughter:)

Lesa

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
C
C
My mother taught me to crochet when I was 9 yrs old. I would sit next to her and do what she did. She taught me to crochet with size 10 thread and 7 hook. I learned the basics from her but never really did anything with it until I was in my 20's after my sons where born. I hold my hook different than she did, I do the knive hold and she did the pencil hold.
I have taught my youngest neice to crochet. She is a righty so I had her sit across from me and taught her the basic stitches. She took off with it and has made a few things, now she is a new mom and doesn't have a lot of time to crochet between her job and the baby.
By the way, I am a lefty and I am currently trying to teach my righty sil to crochet and have her sit across from me too.

CarolAnn
Thread Artiste
My Crochet, My Art
Wow..what a neat question...it brings back memories of a lady who lived down the street from me in the 70's. I was always wanting to paint, crochet, knit, do ceramics..you name it. Well my neighbor Helen was a crafty lady and she offered to teach me oil painting and also crochet. I had the best time under her wing. Both crafts taught me something about myself how to express and use my creative juices.
I had one drawback it was being a "lefty" when I crocheted the popcorn stitch the stitches ended up inside the purse I was making and not on the front..Helen didn't know how to fix that problem we just sat and laughed through it and had a wonderful time. She not only taught me to crochet and paint she also taught me macrame knotting. If we had not moved from Pennsylvania to Florida I have no idea how much more I'd have learned from dear Helen...I'll always treasure those moments doing so many things with my mind and hands. Thanks for asking it was fun going back in time remembering old friends and now wanting to return to some of the same crafts. Ciao, Jazzy Geri

Crazy as I wanna be,
Jazzy Geri
M
M
My Grandmother also taught me to crochet. I am left handed but crocheting is the ONLY thing that I do right handed. Well ... I could probably eat right handed .. but that is all. It is amazing how many Grandmothers taught us to crochet. Guess I better get busy with my Granddaughter.

MarleenCrochets
www.edgerydoo.com
B
B

I basically taught and am still teaching myself to crochet. Many years ago, I worked on a job where a switchboard operator crocheted beanie hats. She taught some of us in the office. I remember making those hats. About a year ago, a lady at work ws crocheting and I asked her to teach me the basics. She did and then I worked at coordinating the yarn and my hands until I felt it again. I'm no expert yet but it's amazing what I've done over the last two years. I'm going to post some things soon.
I love crochet!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Holly - Crochet Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.