Page 1 of 2 1 2
#473524 12/05/08 02:50 PM
T
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
T
Quote:

CHICAGO -- Community leaders and politicians say they're starting a petition drive to ask Gov. Rod Blagojevich to name a black person to replace Barack Obama in the U.S. Senate.

U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) said today that with the president-elect's resignation there is no black U.S. senator. He says it'll be a "national disgrace" of a black Illinois politician doesn't replace him.

The decision rests entirely in Blagojevich's hands. The Chicago Democrat can choose anyone who meets the requirements: An Illinois resident at least 30 years old who has been a U.S. citizen for nine years.

Blagojevich has said little about his criteria for choosing a replacement, but says he plans to choose by the end of the year.

--The Associated Press

I think this is ridiculous. It shouldn't be about COLOR, it should be about qualifications and ability to perform the job... a national disgrace!!! A national disgrace is electing people for positions they aren't qualified for based on something as simple as skin color, imo. I'm sick of these "feel good" politics that care more about how things LOOK than with getting the job done good. Wake up people and stop worrying about making history and start worrying about electing officials who can get the job done and done well.

Michelle
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Oh...my side hurts.

I've heard so many people tell me, and it's with hands on hips too..."If Obama doesn't get elected, it will be because of his race."

I look them dead on and reply,"If he does get elected it will be because he's black."

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
D
D
I for one am sick of everyone making everything about race. It seems that no matter where you go or what you do someone always brings it back to your skin color. Why don't we all walk around in plastic bubbles of rainbow colors! I guarantee you that someone somewhere will find a problem with that as well. I believe it should be what you know not who you know, what you do not what you say. We all have watched the elections every four years, we have all had to deal with politicians saying one thing and doing another. What gets me is that people haven't smelled the coffee yet? I am truly disappointed in the leaders of the country and quite a few of my fellow Americans. The sad part is that I�m not alone in my disappointment.

Des28

W
Shark
Shark
W
Unfortunatly, Obama was a man of little substance. He had nothing solid he was going to do except vague ideas such as "I'll bring everyone together." This is obviously an impossible task for a politician that is so polarized that he voted against giving medical aid to babies that have survived a botched abortion.

This is why the media and Obama focused on his color. It was a safe topic. Obviously his associations, his religion, his friends, his comments, his party leaders, his wife, and his VP pick were all hot topics for him and that is why there was such a push to get each of these under the rug. It's the OJ defense all over again and millions of people (white and black) fell for it.

When OJ was pronounced not guilty, millions felt a sense of psychosematic euphoria. It was not different when Obama got elected.

The irony to all of this is that many white people voted for him so that they could put the guilt from slavery behind them, after all, what better affirmative action could you give a guy other than let him run your country. However, there are news reports of black community leaders and preachers (mostly in the south that I have noticed) who are saying that this election changes nothing because Barack, "Ain't got no slave blood in him."

Apparently they are making too much money off of keeping the races seperate.

It always goes back to money and power. Racism will not end until people stop making money or getting votes from it.

-whoisjohngalt

T
T
Originally Posted By: toddzgrrl02
I think this is ridiculous. It shouldn't be about COLOR, it should be about qualifications and ability to perform the job... a national disgrace!!! A national disgrace is electing people for positions they aren't qualified for based on something as simple as skin color, imo. I'm sick of these "feel good" politics that care more about how things LOOK than with getting the job done good. Wake up people and stop worrying about making history and start worrying about electing officials who can get the job done and done well.

Yes, done right and well the first time. You bring up a good point. History will be made regardless and we ought to focus our efforts on electing those qualified citizens who can do the job - not those rock stars who can win an American Idol contest but know nothing of what concerns America and the American people. Thank you for posting.

C Buenavista, Republican Party Editor
Republican Party Website
Republican Party Forum
T
T
Originally Posted By: whoisjohngalt
The irony to all of this is that many white people voted for him so that they could put the guilt from slavery behind them, after all, what better affirmative action could you give a guy other than let him run your country. However, there are news reports of black community leaders and preachers (mostly in the south that I have noticed) who are saying that this election changes nothing because Barack, "Ain't got no slave blood in him."

Racism will not end until people stop making money or getting votes from it.-whoisjohngalt

Affirmative action is bearing fruit - sometimes bitter and acrimonious. In its wake are many very qualified people of all colors and gender who, because of political correctness must take a back seat, and give way to our more unfortunate brethren who have long suffered under the yoke.

Like you say in your post, it must be a most cathartic and liberating experience for them to have voted for B. Obama.

Republican Party Website
Republican Party Forum
T
T
Quote:
I've heard so many people tell me, and it's with hands on hips too..."If Obama doesn't get elected, it will be because of his race."

I look them dead on and reply,"If he does get elected it will be because he's black."

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Elleise you and Geraldine Ferraro are right on. I still think that Ms. Ferraro should have been lauded by Hillary when she said what she said about candidate Obama - that he (Barack) wouldn't have been where he was in the primaries hadn't he been black. Instead, we all know what happened. She was forced to resign her position from the Clinton campaign. I looked at that incident and realized just how sad the situation was for the entire country.

Republican Party Website
Republican Party Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I find this particular thread insulting, yet funny in a strange way (not ha-ha funny, just strange funny). I'm hoping that the good editors of Bella online will not drive away viewers by going too far to the extreme...just a point of view, controversy is what sells sometimes.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
T
T
Originally Posted By: Dianne - Unemployment
I find this particular thread insulting, yet funny in a strange way (not ha-ha funny, just strange funny). I'm hoping that the good editors of Bella online will not drive away viewers by going too far to the extreme...just a point of view, controversy is what sells sometimes.

Thanks for your point of view Dianne. All points of view are appreciated and you are right also in that "extremism" would not be a good way to attract readers and posters to BellaOnline. It is a balancing act either way - recognizing individual differences and persuasions so as not to engage in empty banter. We can agree to disagree.

Republican Party Website
Republican Party Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I absolutely agree!!! That's EXACTLY what I was trying to say, but you said it SO-O-O-O much better. Thank you!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.