logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Anyone read it yet? I just took it out of the library and have only read a bit. One thing I wish Mr Bolles would address is looking for work in rural counties. Everything seems to be urban-oriented and many of his ideas simply can't work if one is stuck in a depressed rural county, where more than just jobs are limited and most of the jobs available are McJobs

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Shark
Shark
B
Colleen,

Have you read this book yet? If so, what did you think? Would you recommend it? I am always looking for books to recommend to my students.

Kay
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I haven't read the 2009 version but I came across this book awhile back and loved it all in its own.

I went from a $6.00 hr. Civil service job to a $10.00 hr. job with quarterly bonuses and an office just by doing what the book said. It took about 5 months, but it happened.

One of the suggestions was, don't wonder if you are over qualified or underqualified for a job, just apply - you can interview them when the time comes. They might not like you, you may not like them, but worrying about it before hand doesn't help anything.

I answered a two sentenced classified add that didn't distinquish the fact it was a management position for a brokerage firm. They didn't want a stuffed shirt. I worked there for 10 years.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 10/30/08 10:59 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Koala
Koala
I love "What Colour is Your Parachute" (they have a teen version also). I use it all the time in personal development classes for teens and young adults. Its been invaluable.

Parakeet
Parakeet
What color is my parachute? hmmm let me check. Looking above me I see that my parachute is Black. No, no I am wrong it's burning. My parachute is the color of smoldering silk.

Koala
Koala
That's happening a great deal lately.

However, if you're into color association, you might enjoy Shoya Zichy�s �Career Match: Connecting Who You Are with What You'll Love to Do�(AMACOM, 2007; ISBN 0814473644) a bit more than "What Color is Your Parachute." She uses a color system based loosely on the same sort of framework as the MBTI to help people figure out where their niche is.

B
Shark
Shark
B
What a great testimonial. I will definitely get a copy of this book. Thanks!

Kay
T
T
If I remember correctly, one point the author mentions is to interview someone who does the job that you would like to do. Heck, I don't know anyone who is a PR rep for an independent, small record label!

Moderated by  Dianne W - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.