BellaOnline
Anyone read it yet? I just took it out of the library and have only read a bit. One thing I wish Mr Bolles would address is looking for work in rural counties. Everything seems to be urban-oriented and many of his ideas simply can't work if one is stuck in a depressed rural county, where more than just jobs are limited and most of the jobs available are McJobs
Posted By: bepart Re: 2009 What Colour is Your Parachute - 10/31/08 02:25 AM
Colleen,

Have you read this book yet? If so, what did you think? Would you recommend it? I am always looking for books to recommend to my students.
I haven't read the 2009 version but I came across this book awhile back and loved it all in its own.

I went from a $6.00 hr. Civil service job to a $10.00 hr. job with quarterly bonuses and an office just by doing what the book said. It took about 5 months, but it happened.

One of the suggestions was, don't wonder if you are over qualified or underqualified for a job, just apply - you can interview them when the time comes. They might not like you, you may not like them, but worrying about it before hand doesn't help anything.

I answered a two sentenced classified add that didn't distinquish the fact it was a management position for a brokerage firm. They didn't want a stuffed shirt. I worked there for 10 years.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: 2009 What Colour is Your Parachute - 10/31/08 03:31 AM
I love "What Colour is Your Parachute" (they have a teen version also). I use it all the time in personal development classes for teens and young adults. Its been invaluable.
Posted By: Craig58 Re: 2009 What Colour is Your Parachute - 10/31/08 03:48 AM
What color is my parachute? hmmm let me check. Looking above me I see that my parachute is Black. No, no I am wrong it's burning. My parachute is the color of smoldering silk.
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: 2009 What Colour is Your Parachute - 10/31/08 03:56 AM
That's happening a great deal lately.

However, if you're into color association, you might enjoy Shoya Zichy�s �Career Match: Connecting Who You Are with What You'll Love to Do�(AMACOM, 2007; ISBN 0814473644) a bit more than "What Color is Your Parachute." She uses a color system based loosely on the same sort of framework as the MBTI to help people figure out where their niche is.
Posted By: bepart Re: 2009 What Colour is Your Parachute - 11/01/08 03:42 AM
What a great testimonial. I will definitely get a copy of this book. Thanks!
If I remember correctly, one point the author mentions is to interview someone who does the job that you would like to do. Heck, I don't know anyone who is a PR rep for an independent, small record label!
© BellaOnline Forums