logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
OP Offline
D
myhusband said to me last night why i dont talk to him, i replied because everything i say is wrong or i am cut off, not listened to, and ignored. i feel like i dont have a say and it hurts.. then he said to me it sucks doesnt it now you know where i came from for years. what the hell is this pay back.. this isnt going to survive this way. and lately if i say something out of anger or frustration or look the wrong way i get a famous quote.. thisnt isnt going to work with you why bother. i cant even have a bad day or just be. walking on egg shells sucksl

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Shark
Shark
S
It's good that you can talk about your problems, nothing worse than holding it in. Let him know how you feel. Marriage is about compromise. Sharing everyday problems. If you aren't heading in the same direction find out why. People change but you can't change people.

H
Koala
Koala
H
hi Diana,

I'm really sorry you're having such troubles. I can hear your pain and discouragement in what you write. I hope to offer you some practical suggestions for turning the relationship to a more positive and even enjoyable one.

In spite of all the tension and troubles, i do think it's possible to turn things around. Your husband says he's thinking of divorce but look... he's been hanging in for some time, so he does love you and he is trying. He's been willing to do counselling, so he cares about saving this. He obviously cares that you are happy. Wow. That's actually a LOT. Marriages have been saved on a lot less. So the question is, are you willing to make the changes it takes? This isn't a matter of blame... i'm not suggesting you take steps because you're at fault or more at fault... you aren't. But two of the things that often stops us from solving ANY problem are excuses and blame... something i try to remember in my own life. Both of those things stop us dead in our tracks from doing what we might do to solve things, and if you look at any persistent problem in anyone's life, you are likely to find those two running amok.

The reason i'm going to suggest things you can do, and not your husband, is only because we always begin with ourselves, k? So no more figuring out if it's your fault or his fault... that's definitely not going to make things better, so that's something you need to set aside. Permanently! The blame game will send you to divorce court. Instead always think of things you can DO to make things better, and things you can ask if he's willing to DO, k? You can't steer a car if you're looking out the rear view mirrors... you need to shift from where you've been looking to where you would like to go! Got it? smile

First i would ask yourself, are you willing to put in effort and are you willing to do things differently? Take your time with this question, because if you are not really committed, things are likely to remain difficult or get worse. You know what they say... do the things the same way and you'll get the same results!

Second and third, whatever the past, whatever the "analysis" of the present... you are going to do two things. You're going to be committed to listening and you're going to be committed to communicating with your end in mind.

Listening comes first. The number one trigger for infidelity and in many cases divorce is lack of emotional intimacy... not sex... but simply lack of feeling connected. Surprisingly, guys especially need this. I'm sure you know you need this, too. Your husband needs to feel heard. Are you willing to listen and not shut him off, interupt, walk away, are you willing to interact and try to understand him? You need to do this every day, as much as possible. Start asking him questions related to what he is communicating. If he says he doesn't like how you discipline his children then try not to rankle and ask how you can do it a way he likes. I didn't tell you this will be easy, but making things better will require the two of you working better together, right? Getting on the same page? So, you have to understand where he's coming from, what he wants, and what he needs for things to get better for HIM.

You also need to be able to communicate better yourself. How much of your communication now with your husband and your husband's children is negative? ...fighting, orders, etc.? Aha. Yes... this usually happens when we're unhappy and when we're having relationship troubles! It's important to communicate in these areas of conflict, but it is also vitally important to start communicating fun, enjoyable, positive things. Right now the boat is tipped waaaaay to the negative, yes? See if you can start establishing some enjoyable routines... asking your husband how was his day? Maybe setting up a date night once a week or start doing again things you shared and enjoyed together while you were dating. Talk about things like movies, books, the weather, your friends, etc. Go for a walk together after supper... it doesn't matter, but find some positives. It will also help with your depression. No excuses! I know you're tired, busy, etc. But this is simply what it's going to take to be happier and have a happy relationship. You won't get to where you want without it, so it's more important than it seems. And start communicating what you APPRECIATE... tell him what you like about him. Tell the kids what you like about them. Tell anyone what you like about anything, the taste of supper, whatever. You have to start shovelling out the negatives from your life and some from the communication... there is way too much of it and it's weighing everything down in your life. The other important part to your communicating is to figure out what you really want, what would really help you, and communicate these things in short, clear, repetitive ways... but ways with your outcome in mind. Saying something in anger is understandable, but it's unlikely to get the results you want as well as communicating it without hurting the other person, would you agree? Name calling, criticisms, etc., just don't tend to get good results. So do you want to get in a good one, or do you want to get results? This is how you have to start thinking in your communication. Opening up and letting others know what's going on inside you will help. If you feel afraid to talk with your husband because of the response you might get, then gently let him know that. You could even say, "i'd like to share something with you, but i'm afraid i'll get criticized or get a quote, ...can you just listen this time?" or something like that. Think you can change some of the way you've been communicating now? Make it more positive? Listen more? Remember... you want positive results, right?

The last thing i would suggest concerns the blended family. I know it must have a lot of challenge in it. Kids start getting raised one way, and then have basically a new parent who does things a different way. This gets confusing and raises conflicts. I think it would help if you and your husband talk privately once in a while to get on the same page about how to raise ALL the kids with no distinctions... so that there are the same rules for everyone, and being given the same way by you and your husband as much as possible. Keep the rules simple and few. Discuss with your husband areas that you can make decisions with your step kids and ones where they need to ask their father. Gradually, as trust builds, you can gain back more influence, but for now, just try to seek agreement with your husband concerning the kids. And i do really think it's very important that the rules are consistent across the board!!!... meaning ALL the kids, and BOTH parents. If his kids have to ask him before going out and not you, then your kid has to ask you and not him, etc. Any imbalance will come back to bite, so really try to eliminate these inconsistencies. Be willing to bend on your kids too, so that you can find agreement and consistency for all. Second, everything that applies to your husband about listening and communicating, ALSO applies to his kids! You need to get some positive time with them, appreciate them, listen to what they are trying to communicate, and communicate what you feel and need from them, in a positive way. It will help foster their respect for you, so this is for you, too.

I know all this is asking a lot for you to change. But this is simply a matter of what is it going to take? Blame and fault finding and rationalizing why you're doing things the way you are now, simply will NOT solve the relationship problems. You will not be doing all the work of fixing these relationships, but you need to quit concerning yourself with how you want them to change and instead start focusing on what YOU can do and need to do to make this better. If you change, they will jump at the chance to change in a more positive way, trust me. They are probably just as unhappy with the way things have been and they want to get this into a better place too. And they DO want you to be happy... think of that as a treasure, because it is. Your husband wants you to be happy. You know what that is? That's love! smile

Can you see how these things fit together? Commitment to change -listening - communicating positively - appreciating others - same rules for everyone. Remember to focus your time, your words, your actions, everything... on where you wish to go and not where you've been. If a comment on your lips is a criticism, will it take you where you want to go? Well, it might, actually, depending on how it is said and how important it is. A random snipe won't get the results you want. It's just more negativity to shovel out. If you say, "THERE YOU GO AGAIN WITH THOSE STUPID QUOTES!!!" ...that probably wouldn't get positive results. If instead you put it, "You know so many quotes, but what i'd really like to know is what you think in your own words." ...that might get a very positive response. So as much as possible, try to think of the results your comments and actions are likely to give.

Start with yourself, and you'll never lose. As YOU step into the behavior and life you'd like your family to become, it will start to happen. If you find some time each day for enjoyment, that will help move things to where you wish to go. If you show love to your husband and all the kids, it will help bring peace and positive things in. Remember to focus on where you wish to go! Each comment, each action you do in any moment can either take you closer or further away from the life you want. Blame and criticism won't take you there. Even focusing too much on the problems won't take you there!!! Why? Because when you focus on the problems, you see the problems, and where you wish to go is not to the land of more problems and blame, but to where you are happy and your family is loving and warm and happy, right? This is sort of an application of the Law of Attraction. Yes, there will be things you need to address with your husband about the issues in your marriage, but if you are to get where you wish to go, it needs to be shifted towards those things that will be in your life when it is the way you wish. Positive communication. Having fun together. Listening. Communicating positively. A truly blended family, where everyone feels together and one, loving and loved.

Do you think these suggestions will help? What do you think? Are you going to try them?

Good luck. And remember your family does love you.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Holly, what a really well thought out and wonderful post! Thank you!

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

D
OP Offline
D
that is what is was saying to myself.. great post thanks. i will try i still feel out in myself with everything.. there is no compromise with my husband when it comes to his kids and no consistency which makes my kids feel off it si basically 3 families in one house.. i have talked to him about it he will discipline his way his kids no ifs ands or butss i have no say.. he doesnt want to hear from me about it.. i told him things need to be equal but he wont bend so i gave up on that. he still allows his 13 yr old to dictate and split us which frustrates me to no end, if it were my daughter she woulve been in her room thinking about what she did not allowed to go out after school at 215 and show up at curphenw time at 9 pm or just plain sleep over someones house and come home at 9pm the next night .. this is usually how fridays and weekends work out.. and my step daughter has till midnight to come home and sleeps out on weekends when ever she wants even last minute. so this is how he wants to parent his kids.. and yes they call there father and tell him, i like to see my kid face to face and check in personally then she can go off and do her thing. knowing what i know now i wish i never married him i dont like his parenting skills at all and lately i feel like growing old with him will be lonely.. he shows no interest in anything i do or watch and i am not into sports that is what he watches everyday of the week. i am frustrated today. i asked this questions to my coworkers the other day.. What do you see yourself doing with your partners or husbands when you get to the golden years? i cant see myself anymore with him we have nothing in common as we have aged a little with each other. i gotta go to work be back onlater to post. diana

Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm sorry you're going through this Diana. frown I hope you're doing okay. It is never easy when you come to the conclusion that there is no longer a point in the relationship, but, likely, that is the hardest part in your situation. Please don't think that it's too late for you. I know women who have started over at 60 and have wonderful active great lives.

I had many of the same thoughts as you when I got my divorce. How will things be with this man in my golden years. That told me all I needed to know.

(((((hugs)))))))

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

A thought to ponder: In the 50's "women" maintained the home -thats a 24/7 job... In 2008, "women" not only maintain the home 24/7 but also work outside the home (w/ or w/out kids)to provide income...which at one time was the "man's" job. When your "man" can't provide, you are caught up in doing his job too? So working two jobs mean't for two people...hmmmm Diane give yourself a break! What if you don't do all that you do? what if you don't worry about if/or when his daughter checks in? The responsibility can only be placed upon you, if you are willing to accept it. I'm not saying ignore the child, but let her deal with her Dad (make it his responsibility not yours -you have enough on your plate). I've been married - done the step-family thing- I'm a Mom (teenage boys of my own) and now I'm divorced. I read your blog and my heart breaks for you. I've been there - life is to short to be miserable. We have choices and God gives us one shot in this lifetime. I highly recommend counseling -regardless if he goes or not - weigh out your options - pray about it A LOT and see where you are 3mos/ 6 mos from now. Sometimes I think the woman/ mom instinct in us - just says put it on our plate and we will get it done sometime, which is were we get taken for granted. We must deligate for the household to run, besides its good life skills for our kids and HUSBAND.
We must take responsibility for our own life/ our own actions and teach our children the same. We are the setting the example by our relationships we choose for the future generations...
The golden years will come fast enough for all of us, one day at a time.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I agree 4fitness. I have a list that is kept on the fridge with chores for ALL to do, kids, husband and me. We all work and or go to school so we ALL must share the responsibilities at home too.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B

I remember back when I divorced I tried to look back and determine what was the big thing.. the main cause. One thought came to mind. "he made me the enemy".
When we are struggling with life and sometimes it seems everyone is out to get us, we need that haven to come home to. That place we feel safe. My husbands anger at the world came home. I started being the one he blamed for everything that went wrong in his life. He had made me the enemy.
We can not make our spouse the enemy. We must be a haven to each other. That old saying "It's you and me against the world", is somewhat true. When you change that thought to "it's me against you and the world." then nothing is going to work.

Diana, you and your husband are blaming each other. You have each made the other the enemy. There are also some control issues that need worked out.
Something in your post lead me to believe that you are too caught up in making everything run perfectly. Perhaps this is because he is so demanding, or maybe it is a demand you put on yourself. it doesn't matter, if you are going to enjoy life you have to turn loose of some of the responsibility you feel for everything. Stop worrying about the little things. So the garbage didn't get taken out.. so what? The thing is.. the world is not going to fall apart if something doesn't get done.
be kind to yourself, be kind to each other.

I've always had a problem with not thinking clearly when my own emotions are involved, so I learned this little trick. I tell myself.. if I had a friend in this situation what would I tell her. Step back and look at the situation as if it is happening to someone else, remove your emotions for just a moment and give yourself advice as if you were someone else.
What would you tell that friend? Would you be angry with her, or compassionate about her situation?
Then give yourself that advice and be as compassionate with yourself as you would that friend.
we do have to be our own best friend, and love ourselves as much as we are willing to love others.
It might also help to do the same thing from your husbands point of view. Think about how he is feeling. Imagine he is talking to a friend about that situation. What would you advise him to do?

Take Care of yourself Diane
Bylen

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Bylen,

I could not have thought of any better suggestions/words than you did. Great and wise advice!

It just might work if both parites do the same and be honest about it all. If one tries and the other does not, then there is no going forward.

The time comes when one has to stop talking to others about their problems and talk with their mate.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 10/22/08 04:18 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.