Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lynn_B #454116 09/22/08 05:01 PM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I agree with the idea of separation of church and state.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
I don't believe that Creationism should be taught in public schools. If you want your child to learn about Creationism, fine, take them to church or teach them that idea in your own home, on your own time. The fact that I'm an Atheist has nothing to do with my feelings on this subject. I'm sure I would feel the same if I were Buddist, Hindu or Wiccan.
The point is, there are more views than just Creationism and Evolution. If you're going to teach one faith-based view, you'd better teach them all, otherwise, let's just stick to scientific fact.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Originally Posted By: Vance Wrestling and Crime
Ms. A I have been in a heated debate before in the Atheist forum and am not about to do that again here so just let me say that Science has not proven evolution and that is why there is a missing link. Nebraska Man that was discovered decades ago was really a pig and not a man.

If there was Evolution then why did we stop evolving in this form as we are today?

This thread is not about evolution as of in itself. Its about what we think should be taught in school. We can go round and round on this subject. You can give me your proofs and I can give you mine but the twain shall never meet. Meaning I doubt I will be able to change your mind and you wont be able to change mine.

I can tell you that the Chinese written language is proof of events that were written in the Bible and was created about a thousand years before the Bible was but again, if you are dead set on evolution as I am on Creationism, then there is no sense in going on any further about this touchy subject.

Vance, I wasn't trying to make it an evolution debate -- but evolution IS still occurring. It just occurs over such long periods of time, that it is hard to see it happening in ourselves.

However, as I stated, I support your right to teach your children Creationism. But that IS about religion, not science, and I do NOT support my tax dollars used to teach my (or other, as my ds is now in college) child your religion. There are many Creation myths, your version being one that many in this country currently believe. You have many hours to teach your child your religion, including the aspects dealing with Creationism. Feel free to use them as you see fit!

Gravity is "only a theory" -- but it has a wealth of evidence pointing to it, repeatable experiments, etc. Scientific proof has very high standards!

As for Chinese writings supporting events in the Bible -- I never said that NOTHING in the bible ever happened. But it needs to be viewed from a specific lens. Unlike you, I do not believe that every word was directed by an infallable being, and I am certain that it has been mistranslated over the years. So using that book as scientific proof just doesn't cut it.

Again, there are appropriate times and places for you to guide your children in your religious beliefs. School is not the right one.

Ms A #456325 10/01/08 10:46 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Might I suggest checking out the book Thank God for Evolution. realizing that evolution is a fact doesn't take away from God in any way shape or form.

Google the book, or I think the site is actually the name of the book.

Having said that, no, I don't believe creationism should be taught in school because there are so many creation stories out there, it would be difficult to teach them all.

There is only ONE evolution story and that is the only thing that should be taught in schools.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Koala
Koala
They're currently debating this issue in Texas. Some of the comments made by the science teachers providing testimony before the State Board of Education were really spot on. One man stated, "We don't teach foreign language skills in English class. We don't teach baking skills in shop class. Why would anyone think it was appropriate to teach the supernatural in science class?"

Religious ideology has a place; and its not in the public school science classroom.

Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: Vance Wrestling and Crime
I am a Christian so I believe Creationism should be taught in school. They are teaching evolution and that cannot be proven by a reasonable doubt either. If schools cannot have both, then they should have neither being taught. It is hard for a child raised in a Christian family to be taught Creationism by their church and their parents and then go to school and have to learn about evolution.

Who are they supposed to believe? They believe that teachers are educated and so they have to be right. Kids are very impressionable and look up to their teachers as educators so how could they steer the kids wrong?

To bring in a different point of view here Vance, I am not an Atheist and I am not a Christian and I am not raising my son as either. I do not believe that evolution is 100% fool proof but I would still want it taught they way it was taught to me. We were taught that it was a theory based on what is known today and that it could change with a new discovery. Maybe I just had an awesome teacher who took the time to explain a bit about the history of science and how conclusions are drawn and how new discoveries can change everything we previously thought. I may not have explained that well or maybe they have changed the way they are teaching evolution.

Anyway, I would NOT want my son taught about Creationism because it is completely contradictory of our religious beliefs. While you and others may feel that not offering the alternative violates your beliefs, teaching creationism violates ours. From where I stand, if anything is taught along side evolution then I would want EVERY theory (no matter how off the wall) taught as well. Teaching every theory -not just picking evolution and creationism- is the only way to really be fair. Otherwise I would want only evolution taught.

Diane Claus
Lynn_B #459876 10/16/08 11:06 AM
J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
Vance please read the book Thank God For Evolution, you can find it under the same .com name as the name of the book and on Amazon.com.

You do not have to discount God to believe in Evolution. Evolution is NOT in dispute. The problem is, we are not teaching it correctly or at all in our schools and people think it means we evolved from monkeys this is not the case.

Evolution means Adaptation and without Evolution being real, cell theory would not work, and therefore we could not cure sickness and make people well via medicine in the manner we can today. With Stem Cells it will only get better and it is ALL because of Cell Theory which came from Evolution Theory.

You also need to look up the difference between a Theory and a Hypothesis. Often the two are confused.

Creationism has NO place in public schools. Also, if your child wants to be in the medical field they really need to learn Evolution, without it nothing makes sense at all.

J.Barry #459897 10/16/08 12:32 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I think it has always been a fallacy to believe that God and science must be two separate things. This leads to the same thinking that has some religions refusing medical care because someone needs only have faith that God will heal them.

I think that God is capable of all things - and that includes giving us men and women with the capability and knowledge of healing (and I'm talking medically, as in doctors - not laying on of hands).

Why does the Big Bang Theory automatically have to exclude God? If He wanted the world to start that way, the it did.

If He wanted man to grow through evolution - then we will.

I don't think we descended from fish or monkeys. I DO think we have evolved as men. We have grown taller, stronger (just look at the sports world records that are constantly broken). We have become more intelligent, we have become healthier- on the other hand, thanks to our overuse of antibiotics, we have become weaker when it comes to some illnesses.

I have stated more times than I know that I wonder if Autism spectrum diseases are the next step in mental evolution - it is becoming more and more prevalent.

For those of us that believe in God, then it is presumptuious to put Him in a box that say He can only affect things in this worl supernaturally.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Lynn_B #459903 10/16/08 01:08 PM
H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
I personally do not think creationism should be taught in school. Which version would you teach? To which religious doctrine would you turn? If you went with the Bible's Genesis, which version of Genesis' creation would you teach?

The difference between teaching creationism versus evolution seems pretty evident. There is evidence that supports the Theory of Evolution while there is not one shred of evidence to support creationism.

The other thing I would like to point out is that "evolution" really is not the counterpoint to "creationism." I think "abiogensis" fits this bill a bit better.

All of that being said, I am in favor of comparative religion classes being taught in schools.

Last edited by hoaxie; 10/16/08 01:42 PM.

"A question's richness can only be measured by the answers it evokes." ~ Me

"My atheism does not define me. I define my atheism." ~Me
H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
Originally Posted By: ChelleLaunch&Spirituality

Why does the Big Bang Theory automatically have to exclude God?

Because in scientific terms a theory is (in its simplest terms) the analysis of a set of facts. We have no "facts" that lend themselves to be evident of the existence of any deity. Based on this understanding of the term "theory" I don't see it as an exclusion.

Last edited by hoaxie; 10/16/08 01:20 PM.

"A question's richness can only be measured by the answers it evokes." ~ Me

"My atheism does not define me. I define my atheism." ~Me
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.