BellaOnline
Posted By: kristen houghton creationism - 09/19/08 11:28 AM
Where do you stand on having Creationism taught in public schools?
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: creationism - 09/19/08 12:54 PM
This is a hot topic Kristen and has been ever since Madeline Murray O'Haire started the movement to ban prayer in public school.

I am a Christian so I believe Creationism should be taught in school. They are teaching evolution and that cannot be proven by a reasonable doubt either. If schools cannot have both, then they should have neither being taught. It is hard for a child raised in a Christian family to be taught Creationism by their church and their parents and then go to school and have to learn about evolution.

Who are they supposed to believe? They believe that teachers are educated and so they have to be right. Kids are very impressionable and look up to their teachers as educators so how could they steer the kids wrong?

They don't know that most teachers have to follow a format, so to speak, when they teach in public schools. I mean as far as Christianity goes, they are already being taught how to say Happy Holidays instaed of Merry Christmas and even do not allow red and green decorations or paper plates for Christmas parties because of the colors' association with Christmas.

As a Christian, it was hard for me to go through certain college classes when something that was being taught was against God. For instance, in my Physical Geology class when we were taught about how the continents were all together at one point in time and then were separated, no one know how it happened. They could not come up with a driving force to move them. In my belief system, the continents were separated by God and people were scattered on them and given different languages to speak because they were trying to build a tower to get to Heaven.

Scientists, of course, thought this was hogwash and one man came up with the idea of tectonic plates shifting under the earth so they took his word as law.

However, to answer the question about what should be taught in school. I believe both should be taught and the children should be allowed to pick which one they take. It's funny but my kids went to one school and couldn't be taught anything about the Christian belief system but there was no problem teaching them about the Muslim religion. Why is that?

How about teachers? How do Christian teachers feel about teaching evolution and not Creationism and would they be fired if they mentioned Creationism or the Christian religion in public schools?
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: creationism - 09/19/08 01:49 PM
I believe separation of church and state applies to public schools. If a school district wants to offer a strictly optional elective course on religion and discuss creationism in that framework, fine.

To present it in a science classroom, it would have to be presented as a theory only and then offered side-by-side with every other religions theory of creation. THAT would be a mess.
Posted By: Ms A Re: creationism - 09/19/08 02:26 PM
>I am a Christian so I believe Creationism should be taught in school.

Vance, although I defend your right to teach your children Creationism, it is NOT in the same league as science. You say neither can be proved -- but scientific theory has a preponderance of evidence supporting it. It isn't "just a theory" as it is often used in laymen terms. Most people use the word theory to mean, at best, a hypothesis. Not the same thing, though.

Parents should be able to direct their children's religious education, but schools should not be doing so. Creationism, no matter how it is dressed up, is religious in nature.

When Reagan was president, I remember him saying he wanted to allow school prayer, because "children should be allowed to start their day with prayer." Yeah -- but their day starts long before they are at school. So the PARENTS who wish it should start their day with prayer, before they send their kids off to school.

Creationism, imo, falls into the same category. Teach it to your kids -- after school.

Posted By: iamabeliever Re: creationism - 09/22/08 01:47 AM
Didn't Darwin retract his own theory at the end of his life?
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: creationism - 09/22/08 02:17 AM
Ms. A I have been in a heated debate before in the Atheist forum and am not about to do that again here so just let me say that Science has not proven evolution and that is why there is a missing link. Nebraska Man that was discovered decades ago was really a pig and not a man.

If there was Evolution then why did we stop evolving in this form as we are today?

Darwin did retract his theories of evolution but did not become a Christian like people thought. He was a devout Christian until his daughter died and he blamed God and that is when he started saying there was no God and began his theories on evolution.

This thread is not about evolution as of in itself. Its about what we think should be taught in school. We can go round and round on this subject. You can give me your proofs and I can give you mine but the twain shall never meet. Meaning I doubt I will be able to change your mind and you wont be able to change mine.

I can tell you that the Chinese written language is proof of events that were written in the Bible and was created about a thousand years before the Bible was but again, if you are dead set on evolution as I am on Creationism, then there is no sense in going on any further about this touchy subject.
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: creationism - 09/22/08 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Vance Wrestling and Crime

If there was Evolution then why did we stop evolving in this form as we are today?

Vance, You know I am Christian, so am not arguaing from that standpoint - but I happen to believe that we have NOT stopped evolving.

Since I am not a geneticist,I have not proof of this; but I happen to feel very strongly that the growing number of autistic and Asperger children in our society IS our next step in evolution. I do not so much think that it is these children do not know how to communicate with us - but that we do not know how to communicate with them.

Now that many of these "children" are growing into adulthood - I imagine we will begin to see drastic strides made in the communication fields between these individuals.

I judst can't help but think of books like "Childhood's End" where the kids became soooo much more intelligent thast the rest of mankind that they could not communicate with them. (Hopefully we will have a better ending though!)
Posted By: Claybird Re: creationism - 09/22/08 01:54 PM
Vance, I must refute your statements about tectonic plates and the scientific method in general.

First of all, you say that one man came up with the idea of tectonic plates moving and scientists took his word as law.
True, Alfred Wegener did put forth the idea that continents move after his study of the coastlines of South America and Africa and their matching rock types, fossils, plants and glacial deposits, but his theory was rejected by the scientific community for many years.

Finally as many more scientists began to study Wegener's ideas, and new technologies like satellite mapping, SONAR and deep seismology revealed more and more about the plates and their movement, the validity of Wegener's ideas and the force that moves the plates became clearer and clearer until there was no question that the continents do move and continue to do so.

That is how science works. Someone has an idea and does experiments to test the idea. Then other scientists repeat those experiments to see if they hold true, and then they devise different experiments to shed more light on the idea until all aspects of the truth of that idea are clear. And since science is ongoing, the conclusions you learned years ago in school may have been revised many times since, the way plate tectonic theory has been.

If the idea had no validity the other scientists could not get the same results and their experments to prove the idea would fail, so the idea would be shown to be wrong. There have been several instances of this in the recent past; cold fusion and human cloning are 2 subjects that got a lot of press when they were first put forth, but nobody was able to repeat those experiments and they were proven not only wrong, but fraudulent.

That is the big difference between science and religion. Science MUST be testable and is based on proven facts; religion is based on faith in the unknowable.

Faith is good, so is science. It is good for children to learn about both, but I don't think that faith should be confused with science, or that Creationism be taught as a science.
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: creationism - 09/22/08 02:16 PM
Like I said this is becoming a lose - lose argument for everyone involved. You go ahead and believe your myths as law and I will do the same.

The point I amtrying to get across is that I feel that children should have a choice on which belief system they want to learn about at least by the 7th or 8th grade.
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: creationism - 09/22/08 05:05 PM
And there's nothing wrong with the parent exposing the child to alternative points of view... or enrolling the child in a school where this teory is taught as a primary viewpoint. But public school is not the place to teach religious perspectives as part of a required course of study.
Posted By: kristen houghton Re: creationism - 09/22/08 09:01 PM
I agree with the idea of separation of church and state.
Posted By: Froggy_Moo Re: creationism - 09/22/08 09:37 PM
I don't believe that Creationism should be taught in public schools. If you want your child to learn about Creationism, fine, take them to church or teach them that idea in your own home, on your own time. The fact that I'm an Atheist has nothing to do with my feelings on this subject. I'm sure I would feel the same if I were Buddist, Hindu or Wiccan.
The point is, there are more views than just Creationism and Evolution. If you're going to teach one faith-based view, you'd better teach them all, otherwise, let's just stick to scientific fact.
Posted By: Ms A Re: creationism - 09/24/08 03:51 PM
Ms. A I have been in a heated debate before in the Atheist forum and am not about to do that again here so just let me say that Science has not proven evolution and that is why there is a missing link. Nebraska Man that was discovered decades ago was really a pig and not a man.

This thread is not about evolution as of in itself. Its about what we think should be taught in school. We can go round and round on this subject. You can give me your proofs and I can give you mine but the twain shall never meet. Meaning I doubt I will be able to change your mind and you wont be able to change mine.

I can tell you that the Chinese written language is proof of events that were written in the Bible and was created about a thousand years before the Bible was but again, if you are dead set on evolution as I am on Creationism, then there is no sense in going on any further about this touchy subject.

Vance, I wasn't trying to make it an evolution debate -- but evolution IS still occurring. It just occurs over such long periods of time, that it is hard to see it happening in ourselves.

However, as I stated, I support your right to teach your children Creationism. But that IS about religion, not science, and I do NOT support my tax dollars used to teach my (or other, as my ds is now in college) child your religion. There are many Creation myths, your version being one that many in this country currently believe. You have many hours to teach your child your religion, including the aspects dealing with Creationism. Feel free to use them as you see fit!

Gravity is "only a theory" -- but it has a wealth of evidence pointing to it, repeatable experiments, etc. Scientific proof has very high standards!

As for Chinese writings supporting events in the Bible -- I never said that NOTHING in the bible ever happened. But it needs to be viewed from a specific lens. Unlike you, I do not believe that every word was directed by an infallable being, and I am certain that it has been mistranslated over the years. So using that book as scientific proof just doesn't cut it.

Again, there are appropriate times and places for you to guide your children in your religious beliefs. School is not the right one.

Posted By: Stephanie - Weight Loss Re: creationism - 10/02/08 02:46 AM
Might I suggest checking out the book Thank God for Evolution. realizing that evolution is a fact doesn't take away from God in any way shape or form.

Google the book, or I think the site is actually the name of the book.

Having said that, no, I don't believe creationism should be taught in school because there are so many creation stories out there, it would be difficult to teach them all.

There is only ONE evolution story and that is the only thing that should be taught in schools.
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: creationism - 10/02/08 01:24 PM
They're currently debating this issue in Texas. Some of the comments made by the science teachers providing testimony before the State Board of Education were really spot on. One man stated, "We don't teach foreign language skills in English class. We don't teach baking skills in shop class. Why would anyone think it was appropriate to teach the supernatural in science class?"

Religious ideology has a place; and its not in the public school science classroom.
Posted By: Preschool Education Re: creationism - 10/08/08 06:40 AM
I am a Christian so I believe Creationism should be taught in school. They are teaching evolution and that cannot be proven by a reasonable doubt either. If schools cannot have both, then they should have neither being taught. It is hard for a child raised in a Christian family to be taught Creationism by their church and their parents and then go to school and have to learn about evolution.

Who are they supposed to believe? They believe that teachers are educated and so they have to be right. Kids are very impressionable and look up to their teachers as educators so how could they steer the kids wrong?

To bring in a different point of view here Vance, I am not an Atheist and I am not a Christian and I am not raising my son as either. I do not believe that evolution is 100% fool proof but I would still want it taught they way it was taught to me. We were taught that it was a theory based on what is known today and that it could change with a new discovery. Maybe I just had an awesome teacher who took the time to explain a bit about the history of science and how conclusions are drawn and how new discoveries can change everything we previously thought. I may not have explained that well or maybe they have changed the way they are teaching evolution.

Anyway, I would NOT want my son taught about Creationism because it is completely contradictory of our religious beliefs. While you and others may feel that not offering the alternative violates your beliefs, teaching creationism violates ours. From where I stand, if anything is taught along side evolution then I would want EVERY theory (no matter how off the wall) taught as well. Teaching every theory -not just picking evolution and creationism- is the only way to really be fair. Otherwise I would want only evolution taught.
Posted By: J.Barry Re: creationism - 10/16/08 03:06 PM
Vance please read the book Thank God For Evolution, you can find it under the same .com name as the name of the book and on Amazon.com.

You do not have to discount God to believe in Evolution. Evolution is NOT in dispute. The problem is, we are not teaching it correctly or at all in our schools and people think it means we evolved from monkeys this is not the case.

Evolution means Adaptation and without Evolution being real, cell theory would not work, and therefore we could not cure sickness and make people well via medicine in the manner we can today. With Stem Cells it will only get better and it is ALL because of Cell Theory which came from Evolution Theory.

You also need to look up the difference between a Theory and a Hypothesis. Often the two are confused.

Creationism has NO place in public schools. Also, if your child wants to be in the medical field they really need to learn Evolution, without it nothing makes sense at all.
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: creationism - 10/16/08 04:32 PM
I think it has always been a fallacy to believe that God and science must be two separate things. This leads to the same thinking that has some religions refusing medical care because someone needs only have faith that God will heal them.

I think that God is capable of all things - and that includes giving us men and women with the capability and knowledge of healing (and I'm talking medically, as in doctors - not laying on of hands).

Why does the Big Bang Theory automatically have to exclude God? If He wanted the world to start that way, the it did.

If He wanted man to grow through evolution - then we will.

I don't think we descended from fish or monkeys. I DO think we have evolved as men. We have grown taller, stronger (just look at the sports world records that are constantly broken). We have become more intelligent, we have become healthier- on the other hand, thanks to our overuse of antibiotics, we have become weaker when it comes to some illnesses.

I have stated more times than I know that I wonder if Autism spectrum diseases are the next step in mental evolution - it is becoming more and more prevalent.

For those of us that believe in God, then it is presumptuious to put Him in a box that say He can only affect things in this worl supernaturally.
Posted By: hoaxie Re: creationism - 10/16/08 05:08 PM
I personally do not think creationism should be taught in school. Which version would you teach? To which religious doctrine would you turn? If you went with the Bible's Genesis, which version of Genesis' creation would you teach?

The difference between teaching creationism versus evolution seems pretty evident. There is evidence that supports the Theory of Evolution while there is not one shred of evidence to support creationism.

The other thing I would like to point out is that "evolution" really is not the counterpoint to "creationism." I think "abiogensis" fits this bill a bit better.

All of that being said, I am in favor of comparative religion classes being taught in schools.
Posted By: hoaxie Re: creationism - 10/16/08 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: ChelleLaunch&Spirituality

Why does the Big Bang Theory automatically have to exclude God?

Because in scientific terms a theory is (in its simplest terms) the analysis of a set of facts. We have no "facts" that lend themselves to be evident of the existence of any deity. Based on this understanding of the term "theory" I don't see it as an exclusion.
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: creationism - 10/16/08 05:35 PM
Sorry, Hoaxie - I should have been more clear, I worded it badly...

I meant from a Christian standpoint, why does the Big Bang Theory have to exclude God?

I understand why it does from the scientific viewpoint. I just don't understand why so many Christians feel that God and science can't go together.
Posted By: hoaxie Re: creationism - 10/16/08 05:41 PM
That makes a lot more sense. smile
Posted By: cela Re: creationism - 11/14/08 12:14 AM
"I am a Christian so I believe Creationism should be taught in school." Per Vance, 9-19-08

To me, believing in or not believing in Creationism does not define a Christian. It does not necessarily follow that, because someone is a Christian, they believe in Creationism. There are plenty of good Christians who think that God worked via evolution.

I think probably the only indisputable "so" statement one can make about being a Christian is, "I am a Christian, so, I believe that Jesus is the Son of God."
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: creationism - 11/14/08 12:46 AM
Most Christians that believe in evolution (that I have met), believe in the type of evolution that I do - the evolution of man from Homo-habilis to modern Homo-sapiens; not believing that we ever had anything of monkey or something that swam in the ocean in our past genes.

So it is kind of a hybrid of Creationism and Evolution. The earth and humans were created by God - but there has been evolution ever since.

I guess the way I've always looked at it is this: God gave us the gift - and we have chosen what to do with it, so that has determined how everything on this planet has changed and evolved.

Maybe we could take Vance's statement and put the emphasis on the "I". (It is so hard to know where a person's speech inflections are on the web!)
Posted By: CrochetQueen Re: creationism - 11/14/08 01:22 AM
Great subject and first I want to clarify that I home school but I am just wondering if you wanted creationism taught instead of evolution wouldn't that step on toes of everyone else ? For example we fall into the category of wiccan/pagan but as a parent I personally do not mind anything christian or other religion related ideas taught to my child. I feel like the more knowledge he has of the world as a whole the better off he is. I am wondering why so many do not want evolution taught in school, if creationism was taught, I look at it as a perfect opportunity to start and have good conversations with my son.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: creationism - 11/14/08 01:30 AM
Since evolution is only a theory and some would say creationism is only a theory, then why would that be "stepping on toes"? If only evolution is taught is that not stepping on the toes of those who believe in creationism?

Personally, I do not feel evolution, in the way Darwin believed, should be taught in schools since it has never been proven. But, if one theory is to be taught, they both should so students have a broader view point to choose from.
Posted By: CrochetQueen Re: creationism - 11/14/08 06:13 AM
Hi Phyllis, Thanks for making me clarify it more, I always think everyone understands what I am actually thinking, hahahahaha.

Ok in my opinion, and of course it could be wrong smile

Evolution is more of a science based subject and
Creationism is more of a religious based subject and that is what I meant by it could step on toes.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: creationism - 11/15/08 11:30 PM
Thanks for that clarification. You are right in what the two are based on. But, regardless of what they are based on, I believe that since they are opposing, they should both be taught mainly for the reason that it does raise questions and promotes debates and that in itself would be good experience for students to learn from.

Theories are based on assumptions and probabilities. Personally, I believe in creationism, which is more logical to me. But, as Buddha said: "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: creationism - 11/16/08 03:34 AM
Originally Posted By: CrochetQueen
For example we fall into the category of wiccan/pagan but as a parent I personally do not mind anything christian or other religion related ideas taught to my child. I feel like the more knowledge he has of the world as a whole the better off he is. I am wondering why so many do not want evolution taught in school, if creationism was taught, I look at it as a perfect opportunity to start and have good conversations with my son.

Good thoughts, CrochetQueen. I always tried to open up my children's minds to the world and all available for them to learn and they in turn are very open with their children. I believe we should offer our children all sides, not just one.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: creationism - 11/16/08 03:37 AM
Originally Posted By: ChelleLaunch&Spirituality
Most Christians that believe in evolution (that I have met), believe in the type of evolution that I do - the evolution of man from Homo-habilis to modern Homo-sapiens; not believing that we ever had anything of monkey or something that swam in the ocean in our past genes.

So it is kind of a hybrid of Creationism and Evolution. The earth and humans were created by God - but there has been evolution ever since.

I guess the way I've always looked at it is this: God gave us the gift - and we have chosen what to do with it, so that has determined how everything on this planet has changed and evolved.

Maybe we could take Vance's statement and put the emphasis on the "I". (It is so hard to know where a person's speech inflections are on the web!)

I so agree with this, Michelle. Thank you.
Posted By: Ms A Re: creationism - 11/16/08 05:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NA and Folk
Since evolution is only a theory and some would say creationism is only a theory, then why would that be "stepping on toes"? If only evolution is taught is that not stepping on the toes of those who believe in creationism?

Okay, sorry, but I couldn't let this one slip past. Evolution is "only" a theory in the scientific sense, which means it has passed a rigorous standard of evidence supporting it. Creationism is more of a hypothesis, which is just "I think this might be the way of it, so now, how can I test it" stage. Scientific theory is not what most people mean, when they refer to something as being a theory.

If Creationism was taught in schools, I would feel it would ONLY fit in a religious category, not a scientific one. But Creationists tend to want it taught as a science, which doesn't fit the bill.

Then again, we would need to teach a multitude of creation beliefs, to be fair. Yes, Creationist Christians belief that theirs is the one true way life began on the planet, but others believe that their religious teachings are the way it is.

Posted By: ItalianFood Re: creationism - 12/29/08 04:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd

I meant from a Christian standpoint, why does the Big Bang Theory have to exclude God?

This is an interesting point since the first scientist to propose the Big Bang Theory was a priest.

Monsignor Georges Henri Joseph �douard Lema�tre developed the "hypothesis of the primeval atom" which later became known as The Big Bang Theory. Msgr. Lema�tre was a physicist and astronomer.

So, science and God are not incompatible.
Posted By: Craig58 Re: creationism - 02/26/09 04:12 AM
Creationism is NOT a science. Also, I do not believe their is one widely agreed upon theory of Creationism. If we teach creation theory why should we limit it to just a christian based interpretation? Why not include the creation theories of all the other cultures and religions of the world both modern and ancient? Why not allow children to explore all the creation theories like those of the Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Native American (all 500+ tribes), Buddist, Hindu, Muslim and so much more. If you are going to give children an option of what to believe why not expose them to All the ideas of the creation of humankind, the Earth and the Universe.
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: creationism - 02/26/09 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Craig58
If we teach creation theory why should we limit it to just a christian based interpretation? Why not include the creation theories of all the other cultures and religions of the world both modern and ancient?

Good point. I personally love reading about all the different creation stories (the Australian aborigines is one of the most beautiful in my opinion).

I get what you are saying though. If one is presented as a myth, then they all must be presented as a myth. Which would be very unsatisfactory for Christians. I think that would be worse than not presenting it at all.

The biggest problem I have with the Big Bang theory is that most schools do not present it as a theory they present it as fact. And at this point, we just do not have the scientific evidence to say "yes, for certain, this is how the Earth was created."
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: creationism - 02/26/09 02:05 PM
Yes I meant "I" as in my belief. I believe that if evolutionism is taught in school, then the children should have the option of taking Creationism in school as well or instead of. Unfortunately that may never happen and how can we, as Christian parents, refute what a teacher teaches to our children? Do we tell them that teachers are misinformed and if we do that won't children second guess teachers on other things? That's why I don't talk to my kids about Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, etc... because I don't want them second guessing me on Jesus when they get old enough to realize that Santa and the Easter Bunny are fake. Why would they believe me about Jesus if I lied to them about Santa?

Schools stay away from any form of Christianity as it is. One school that my children went to would not even allow green and red plates for Christmas parties and this is the same school that will not teach anything about Christianity but they taught them about the Muslim religion at Christmas time.

Please note that I am talking from a Christian standpoint and belief system and when I say "we", I mean Christian parents who feel the same way I do.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: creationism - 02/26/09 03:08 PM
I often give a lot of thought to this subject and now think that the question of origins is an emotional issue intimately connected with personal belief structure. I read the post written by Craig58 and it makes a lot of sense. And everyone in this thread has some really good points to ponder.

This question has been an on-going debate since the late 1800's and there may never be an end to it.

The Native American tribes each have their own unique culture and Creation stories/beliefs and there are over 500 tribes, as Craig58 pointed out. Within each tribe or nation of the Native Americans, there are divisions of even more clans and beliefs - there are probably over 1000 Creation teachings here. Why should we not teach each one of these over 1000 or so origin stories? That would be extremely time-consuming in the educational system.

I think that the best thing to do is not to teach either the theory of evolution or creationism in public schools and leave it up to each individual family, church, religion, organization, to teach their children the way of their own beliefs. Neither thought process belongs in the public shcools. There are Christian schools that have excellent curriculums with Christian belief teachings, there are schools and institutions for peoples of other faiths/beliefs.

Public schools should be free of all religion based teachings and theories about evolution (since it contradicts creationism). Public schools do not have the moral right to allow one form of religious belief and deny others - that is wrong, very wrong.

"how can we, as Christian parents, refute what a teacher teaches to our children? Do we tell them that teachers are misinformed and if we do that won't children second guess teachers on other things? That's why I don't talk to my kids about Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, etc... because I don't want them second guessing me on Jesus when they get old enough to realize that Santa and the Easter Bunny are fake. Why would they believe me about Jesus if I lied to them about Santa?" - by Vance

Very good point, Vance. Thank you.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: creationism - 02/26/09 05:05 PM
[quote=Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd
The biggest problem I have with the Big Bang theory is that most schools do not present it as a theory they present it as fact. And at this point, we just do not have the scientific evidence to say "yes, for certain, this is how the Earth was created." [/quote]

I totally agree with this, Michelle. Far too many "assumptions" are taught to our children as "facts". Yet, since this seems to be an accepted policy in the educational system, it is up to us as responsible parents and grandparents to teach our children what we believe to be the truth. Our children will grow up and continue this debate for generations to come - so it is critical that we give them an open mind and what we feel or know to be truth.

With my Christian upbringing and Native American beliefs, I will never believe any big bang created life than slowly turned into human form. That is far to sci-fi for me.

I believe Ms. A has a good point: Creationism should be taught in a religious course. We should have a course on Religions Of The World.

However, forget teaching evolution entirely unless it becomes a known fact, which I do not believe it ever will be.
Posted By: Trina Miller Re: creationism - 02/27/09 03:27 AM
Fact: a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true.

There are a few different definitions for Fact. This is the one I like best.

Big bang is only thought to be true. It is not a fact. That being said most textbooks twist up many other "facts" as well.

Look through your childrens books for yourselves and you will be surprised at what you find.

You can also visit Fox and Friends for a list of the textbooks found thus far that are inaccurate.

Sadly, if you want your children to put creationism above the big bang then you are the one on who the responsibility falls.
Posted By: Craig58 Re: creationism - 02/27/09 05:37 AM
Evolution is Science. It is an essential factor in the development of all life on Earth. There is significant evidence to support the existance of evolution. Evolution is not just about the prehistoric past, it is also an ongoing natural process that exists even today. You would be hard pressed to find a scientist, especially a scientist from the fields of biology, zoology or genetics, that does do believe in the existance of Evolution. There is more and more evidence being discovered each year that supports Evolution as a process of life on Earth. Today scientists are using genetics, DNA research, to discover our evolutionary past. There are even new books that have been published by leading scientists in the field of DNA genetics research on this subject.

Do we want our children not to learn the scientific information that is taught in the rest of the world? Do we want the future of our country to become ignorant of what the rest of the world knows? Do we want the rest of the world to surpass us in the sciences of biology, genetics and much more?

Let us teach our children a variety of religious and cultural explainations for the creation of the Universe, the Earth and humankind in classes on culture, religion, sociology or even anthropolgy. However, let them learn evolution in science class.

Also, many scientists that believe strongly in evolution also believe strongly in their own religious faith.
Posted By: Trina Miller Re: creationism - 02/27/09 07:55 AM

The bottom line here is that in America there are 2 equally accepted theories of creation.
(Two that are most recognized.)

While it would seem that both would be taught...even if referred to as two unproven and widely debated theories...we are naive to ever think that will happen.

Be sure that you will need to teach your children creationism in your own home, on your own time. Otherwise I recommend a christian school.

I will admit agreement with Craig that we should learn all possibilities and probabilities. You can call it science, religion or dance class if you like. What ever you may call it, be sure to call it.

Here is my final word:
Your children will be taught evolution. Even if you never step foot in a church, your child will hear about creationism. Children talk, teachers talk. Both theories will be present in the child old enough to study such a subject.

Not discussing your theory of choice with your children is comparable to not discussing drugs.
If you don't tell them where your values lie on the subjects then you can expect them to choose one on their own. Usually the one most pressed on them by friends, teachers, or books.

Debates are caused by a clash between what your mind thinks is right, and what your heart feels is right.

Learning doesn't stop when the bell rings. There are things we must teach our children that will not be taught in school. If you don't teach them, someone will. It just may not be the lesson you wanted them to learn.

Science causes the greatest amount of debate and controversy in people.
It turns out that such disagreement is a good thing. We study more to prove ourselves.
Science is what made America reign over all other countries because of the tremendous amount of talent we had to offer. (Economically Speaking.)

We no longer hold that ranking. There are many explanations, excuses and fingers pointing to the problem.

I say there is no profit in debating the problem. We must use our energy to find the solution.

Remember this:
A student 3 countries over knows that Americans are taught evolution and argue over creationism.
Ask an American student what that student 3 countries over believes and studies.

The answer is the reason Americans rank 18 out of 24 nations in education.

Posted By: Craig58 Re: creationism - 03/07/09 03:42 PM
"The bottom line here is that in America there are 2 equally accepted theories of creation."

Trina, I completely disagree. There are NOT two equally accepted theories of creation, there is only one. Evolution is a scientific principle that is widely accepted throughout the scientific community and the world. There is vast amount of physical evidence, collected over more than a century, that supports evolution as an ongoing process of change of life on Earth. Evolution is fact not fiction. It is no more a theory than is gravity or Newtons's Laws of Motion. It is primarily among theological fundamentalists that evolution is not accepted.

Creationism is not a scientific theory or a theory of any kind. It is an artificially created concept for the purpose of challenging scientific explanations of the origins of life and humankind with a theologically acceptable explanation. There is no agreement on the historical process and timeline of Creationism, even among its supporters. There is no single unifying definition of Creationism. It is not a theory. It is a theological concept.

Creationism should be taught in church or religious schools. Evolution must be taught in science class. Evolution must be taught in classes on biology, botany, archeology, anthropology,life sciences, and any science dealing with life and the history of life on Earth.
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: creationism - 03/07/09 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Trina Miller
Learning doesn't stop when the bell rings. There are things we must teach our children that will not be taught in school. If you don't teach them, someone will. It just may not be the lesson you wanted them to learn.

This is an excellent point no matter what subject matter is being taught; evolution vs. creation, sex ed, or any other topc that might be considered "controversial".

Our schools are in place to teach our children facts, it is up to us parents to teach them about the rest of life.
Posted By: Ms A Re: creationism - 03/07/09 05:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NA and Folk

I think that the best thing to do is not to teach either the theory of evolution or creationism in public schools and leave it up to each individual family, church, religion, organization, to teach their children the way of their own beliefs.

The problem I have with this is that you are lumping science (theory -- in the scientific meaning -- of evolution) with religion -- creationism. They aren't the same subject. So, while we are at it, should we also eliminate health? Because, some of the facts taught in that relating to medical care of one's body will contradict what some religions teach their followers. How about other sciences?

Creationism belongs in churchs or parents can teach it in the home after school. It doesn't belong in the schools, however, because it IS religious beliefs.

Evolution, otoh, has a preponderance of scientific evidence, and is "believed" (not in the "I believe, I have faith meaning) by scientists of many different religious belief systems.

BTW, I recently read Piety and Politics, and he argued a strong case for keeping church and state separate -- and that includes creationism.
Posted By: chica13801 Re: creationism - 08/24/09 03:15 AM
I go to a public school, and i dont believe in religion. No offense, but i hate, i dont believe it, so in your agruments what happens to me? There are private schools that teach it, but school basically dises most religion, you know how you can do "anything" before marriage, thats all health class talks about! POublic school should not have religion. It would cost a lot more money to have all of those religions avaliable. because you would have to have every religion avaliable! My Vote Is NO! Darci :)
Posted By: chica13801 Re: creationism - 08/24/09 03:18 AM
WHATS EVOLUTION????????????????? Darci :)
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: creationism - 08/24/09 01:14 PM
Hi Darci,

I don't mean to offend - but how old are you?

I'm just surprised that you haven't learned what evolution is yet. (Unless you are just pulling our legs - then, whoops - you got me!)

Evolution, in very basics, is the science of how man (and all life really) has evolved on this planet from single celled organisms into the complicated and various life forms that exist today.
Posted By: chica13801 Re: creationism - 08/24/09 07:45 PM
Im 14, i learned this i think in like 6th grade but i dont really remeber much from those days. Now i kinda feel dumb...oh well.thank you!

Darci
smile
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: creationism - 08/24/09 10:33 PM
I'm sorry Darci, I did not mean to make you feel dumb or offend you. I keep forgetting that we have some very young users on here. You did say that you were in high school.

I was always a science geek - I loved science, so remember a lot of what I was taught there. Now if you ask me anything history or geography related, I am a complete NULL. I can help my kids with English, math, or science (as long as it is not Physics or Calculus). If they try to come to me with history - I tell them to call their Dad! grin
Posted By: chica13801 Re: creationism - 08/25/09 01:11 AM
Dude thats kool. I dont care, i have my moments of being a lil dumb. No sweat.
LOL.
Darci
smile
Posted By: Kylieleanne Re: creationism - 02/21/10 06:22 AM
Vance..I understand where you are coming from and have no reason to dissuade you from your beliefs, nor you to mine. I am but a simple woman who has yet to find reason for anything so I don't say I believe in none. But I believe in what is not forced down my throat and what I have come to the conclusion of. I believe for the most part, everyone believes the same...We just all have a different way of viewing it. While you say that scientists have no proof...Why are the continents still moving? And if in fact you say that is God's doing...Why did he make the continents together only to pull them apart to put them together again. I also have to ask; You don't believe what a scientist has claimed as theory, but are willing to believe what man has written in a book? Your very own bible was written by man. Even if that hand was guided by God, is it possible he also guided those scientists the same way? It may be possible God created the Earth. But isn't it also possible that, like man, the Earth has become it's own being and has followed it's own 'free will'. I know you said this topic is pointless to discuss, and I wish not for an argument. Just a simple discussion. Furthermore, Children should be able to choose. But the fact of the matter is, most people aren't going to listen to the children. It should not be taught in public schools. They are public for a reason. The chances of having an entire christian class is very unlikely. Should we then also teach all the different views of the world all the way from the Buddist to the Gaelic? Science can be proven. Faith can not. The two should not be mixed and presented to subjectable children.
© BellaOnline Forums