Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
msbaby Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I just read on another bulletin board that I enjoy that with the economic slowdown number of women that are selling their eggs is up. The price paid for them can range between five and ten thousand dollars.

ONe of the people who posted a comment said that she knew someone who had donated so many times that if she had donated any more it might compromise her own ability to conceive.

My thoughts were that it would be better if someone who preferred to be child free would donate rather than for a woman to risk her own conception to help somebody else have a baby.

Would any of you go through the rigors of testing and hormonal injections to donate? I have to say as much as I feel for someone who can't have a baby that I don't know if I would do it even for twice what they stated is the going rate. Am I being selfish?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Nah, you aren't selfish. There are plenty of people who wouldn't want to go through that just to sell their eggs(And belive me, these are people who claimed they were willing to die to make money). And come to think of it, I wouldn't do it, either. I feel for those who can not have children but want them and everything, but to go through the whole process? No way, love. Let someone who is a total saint do it.

... I saw a fox by the rabbit hole, you saw a prince from a fair tale ...
... He promised that he'd watch over you, turned out to be the fox we all knew ...
N
naz Offline
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
I would never do this. I watched a 60 minutes type program one time regarding this. It showed women that had donated and the lifelong problems they now have because of the hormonal changes they went through. They suffered from severe depression and other major side effects. They make it so you drop 3-6 eggs which just isn't natural. Their systems were so messed up from the whole experience and the money wasn't what they were promised. Seems there is some fine print on that. Some were promised several thousand and received less than a thousand. They did show some people though that had great experiences and had no long term health problems. I just wouldn't want to risk my own health and mental happiness.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Woo I don't have any eggs in my basket any more, If i did i don't think i could make that decision very easily.

Rosie L
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I would not do this, either. It sound horrible. I think if I wanted a child and could not conceive one naturally, I would just adopt. I would feel weird taking someone's eggs.

Parakeet
Parakeet
How childfree are you once there is a kid out there somewhere whose genetic material is 50% yours? Even if you don't bear, raise, or even meet the end result, you still have a bio-kid out there.

For that reason, among many, I wouldn't do it.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I wouldn't do it simply because I don't want to pass on my crazy DNA to another generation! smile

I can't understand why people just don't adopt! There are so many kids out there who need good families. Besides, with adoption, no stretch marks! wink

S
S
Originally Posted By: msbaby
My thoughts were that it would be better if someone who preferred to be child free would donate rather than for a woman to risk her own conception to help somebody else have a baby.

Oh, so because I don't want children, I should go through all the meds and procedures and everything so that I can give my eggs to someone else? Why on earth would you even think this? I think this is a really insensitive comment.

These women sell their eggs to make money. They don't do it to be charitable. They don't say, "oh, those poor women will never understand what unconditional love is. Let me be super generous and give them my eggs so that they have a child that's not really theirs. If only those selfish CF women would get off their butts and do this so I don't have to risk myself. Oh, poor me, I'm the only one who is selfless enough to help these desperate women out." Donating eggs isn't like giving blood. When you give blood, you save a life. When you donate eggs, you give them to someone who wants a child for selfish reasons.

It's all selfish, every bit of it. Not that it's bad, but it's not some miraculous thing. We shouldn't all jump up and volunteer our eggs because someone's body has a genetic flaw. There are children all over this world that need to be adopted and given homes. I think it's selfish for people to go to fertility clinics to have "their own" children instead of adopting or fostering kids who are already here.

But my opinions aren't everyone's. If someone wants to sell her eggs because she needs money, that's her business. But don't suggest that this is the job of the CF because we don't want children. It's not MY fault that some woman needs money so badly that she puts her own fertility at risk. That's her problem. I'm not here to save anyone's ability to reproduce.

Please try to be a little more sensitive. That is what the disclaimer on this board says, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: gorgeousred

I can't understand why people just don't adopt! There are so many kids out there who need good families.

Agreed 100%. You can't conceive on your own? Adopt. The amount of money spent on fertility treatments/etc in this world is disgusting. Some people are so desperate to have little replicas of themselves running around that they will spend ridiculous amounts of money to do it, even though God/nature/whatever you believe in is telling you YOUR BODY ISN'T MEANT FOR KIDS.

And they call the Child-Free selfish, lol.

msbaby Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
The question in today's world might be whether it is less expensive to use someone else's eggs. I haven't put the pencil to it, but it has to be pretty expensive for people to adopt children from countries.

There's probably more than one trip to the foreign location to fill out paperwork and take care of the legalities. Those airline tickets, hotel rooms and meals aren't free and if more than one or trips is necessary those amounts could start to add up quickly.

Could price comparisons be a reason that families who are unable to conceive are buying eggs rather than adopting children who are already here and need a home? Has anyone ever heard someone who adopted a foreign baby say what they spent?

It seems that I remember on one of the news programs where some parents were relating their "adoption nightmare" that they quoted a pretty high figure. This was several years ago and the family had adopted a child that had problems and were trying to figure out what to do because he was making the other children in the home feel threatened. Apparently the time spent in the orphanage under poor conditions was the cause of his behavioral problems.

That kind of risk could be another reason that IVF is preferred over adoption. However, IVF is not without some of the same potential problems. From what I've read some of the women who donate are less careful with their personal health than they should be. No matter how you slice and dice the facts you will be getting another person's DNA.

As much as I love my children, I'm afraid that (here I go sounding selfish again?) I would accept and make the most out of a life without children in it if I couldn't have my own with my own eggs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.