Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
this is a semi-rant, pls permit me.
I noticed i haven't written for several months. since christmas i have told my parents and in-laws my decision to be CF.
suprisingly they took it very well.
this is the good part.
the rant comes from the fact that i can't escape my friends who are having babies (trying, pregnant, already parents)
I love kids, and i don't mind spending time with my friends who have kids...it's just sometimes, i wonder where all my CF friends are? (i have all of 3 here,in the city i live in and 2 are 20 yrs older than me!) i wish i had more CF friends my age or younger ( i am 33) why am i obsessing that i am different just because i have no kids? i hate that being CF or having kids makes us so different, why is it such an issue? why can't i just see my friends as my friends, regardless of whether they are CF or not? I guess society puts labels on us all, and a woman my age who is CF is something people are curious about... sigh...any advice?
ps. hope i am not coming off as too whiny!

do one thing everyday which scares you ~ eleanor roosevelt
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I
Amoeba
Amoeba
I
I wish I had advice, but I'm in the same situation! :-) Count yourself lucky though that you have 3 friends though. I have no one at all here in baby/mormonville. By the way, does anyone have a Facebook account? I need to add some friends that talk about stuff other than kids! If so, add me, my e-mail address iandysgrl@yahoo.com

I don't think it's your fault at all or that you're obsessed...the problem is in how our society works. Parents (generally) will talk about nothing but their kids. It's natural for people to want to be with others who share their interests, if a CF hangs out with a parent who talks about nothing except the latest wall art from junior, the CF will feel alienated and distanced.

I think we also long to have others with similar views because it reaffirms the idea that we're "Normal" (I don't believe there is such a thing as normal--except on a dryer!) But, we still want to be part of the "group" and feel that to be a part we have to behave similarly.

I think we all wish we had more CF friends, but considering how baby-crazy our culture is, it just isn't realistic. I think we all eventually find ways to adapt. I've made friends with mostly single men, who don't care at all that I don't want kids because they don't really want them (at least right now) either. I know, though, that this might, and probably will, change if/when they get married.

I guess I didn't give you much advice...but, just keep in mind you have a team of supporters on this forum!

S
OP Offline
S
dear iandysgrl & mirakitty - thanks for you replies.
iandysgrl, sorry you have no CF friends where you are. I thought I had it bad! good thing we have these forums then...

do one thing everyday which scares you ~ eleanor roosevelt
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm in a similar boat and sometimes this forum really keeps me going on those tough days! I do live in a big city, which has the advantage of lots of single people into their thirties (unlike cities less than 300 000 where people seem to get married in their early 20s...my brother lives in a town this size and is CF in his late 30s and finds it a struggle). Even though I'm married, I find singles the most fun to hang out with...99% of the couples I know (married or unmarried) are trying to have kids. I think someone else was saying earlier that their friends were all significantly older...I'd say mine are either in their 20s or in their 50s! I find both age groups are really open minded and can accept CF status with few problems. It's the middle ages that are the worst!

K
K
You guys should consider looking up No Kidding! www.nokidding.net Its a social group for childfree adults and that's where I met so many good friends. You can see if one is in your area or you can start your own group. Local meetup groups also have DINK's (double income no kids) groups for couples. It makes such a difference to have childfree friends!

E
E
Swissotter, I understand totally. It is extremely difficult finding childfree friends...seems every set of friends we have are getting married and having kids -- my husband and I end up drifting away from them. I'm a nervous wreck around children and hubby is in the far end of the spectrum (he hates them) that friendships are few. Most people just don't understand.

Sometimes I wonder if we're the "freaks"...but then I stop and realize that we're not. We have a different lifestyle that isn't "the norm". People don't have to understand it but they should at least respect our choice...Is that so hard to ask?

B
B
Hmmm, I think it might be a lot to ask that people accept our choice because it has only become a "choice" so recently. We are first generation CF'ers and as awkward as we sometimes feel about it out there, I think others feel just as awkward about it but they're on the other side of the fence. I remember exactly 20 years ago when my sister and her newlywed husband had to actually announce that they weren't having children because of all the "when you have kids" comments. My mother took them out to dinner to tell them exactly what she thought: "You are being selfish." When I announced it 5 years ago, all my mother said was that I didn't have to have kids. Thank you older sister for breaking her in! I wish I didn't feel like a freak and I wish I had more CF friends and friends in general that respected our choice, but I don't. I guess we just have to keep breaking people in like my sister did with my mother... and keep posting here.

Parakeet
Parakeet
First of all, I don't think it's too much to ask to ask anyone to accept any choice that is highly personal and hurts no one. It's really none of their business, anyway, if you think about it.

Secondly, this isn't that new. Just my own limited CF acquaintances range in age from 25 to 64.

In generations earlier than that, women who didn't want kids sometimes chose not to marry. While the advent of reliable BC changed that landscape drastically, being a willfully single woman was socially frowned upon then, too.

It's never an easy road when you're a pioneer, but we really aren't. We're just more vocal about it, as suits our times.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
Gecko
Gecko
As pleased as I am to be childfree, the only reason I am as vocal about it as I am (which isn't that much offline) is cos I get asked about the kid thing a lot!!
But I do know know what you mean about us having more choices in a way than women of the past!

I leave the child-rearing to people who feel called to it. I've never felt that call.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.