Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 46 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 45 46
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
KatjaP,

There are two darling tales of Rabbit I found at a really neat web site.

"How Rabbit Brought Fire to the People" smile

"How Rabbit Lost His Tail" smile

There are a few others also you might like to read.

at:

Native American Lore Index
... to several stories of Native American Indian Lore ... 39. Eagle Stories. 40. Rabbit and Fox. 41. Grandfather Stories. 42. California Creation Lore Yokut ...
www.ilhawaii.net/~stony/loreindx.html

www.ilhawaii.net/~stony/loreindx.html

Click on the link then just scroll down until you find the lore you want to read.

grin

Last edited by Phyllis, NatAmEd; 06/14/08 03:32 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
OP Offline
Here is one of my favorite pictures of rabbits. You can get free pictures like this from freefoto.com

www.freefoto.com/tag/rabbits

Last edited by Phyllis, NatAmEd; 06/19/08 12:30 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
K
K
more photos of baby rabbits
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

I want to learn more in NA
I had a beautiful black rabbit named Christoper, he was truly my best friend. He used a litter box, would jump up on the sofa when i was watching watch tv. and sleep on my lap. we shared my bed. he was so lovable. Christopher ate some sheet rock, the vet couldn't save him. I was very sad when i had to have him put to sleep ;o(

Rosie L
OP Offline
Rosie, I bet you really miss your rabbit.

Just to get back on track here, smile does anyone have a Native American tale or legend they would like to share with us?

I will add some more sticks to the campfire with one in a little while.

Last edited by Phyllis, NatAmEd; 06/23/08 10:30 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Amoeba
Amoeba
Greetings Everyone,

I am sure that many of us are vacationing and much too busy to just 'hang out' here around the campfire. But come Fall and cooler weather, I'm hoping we can get back to sharing stories, legends and.....toasted marshmallows. *grin*

I would like to post one version of table grace and ask if anyone has other versions they would like to share.

Indian Table Grace

Now I am about to eat, O Great Spirit. Give my thanks to the beasts and the birds whom you have provided for my hunger and
pray deliver my sorrow that living things must sacrifice for my
comfort and well-being. Let the feather of corn spring up in
its time and let it not wither but make full grains for the fires
of our cooking pots. Now I am about to eat.

Wakan Tanan Kici Un.
kimi kaya

OP Offline
How Antelope Stole the Moon

There was an Indian village down near the place where the sun sets. The people there had the moon.

Other Indians wanted to go and steal the moon and put it back up. They were going to hide and try to steal it. The Indians who had it knew the others were coming to get the moon. They were going to run after them and kill them.

Then two antelope came and decided they would steal the moon. They knew they were so fast the people wouldn't be able to catch them. They stole the moon, and sure enough, the people couldn't keep up because the antelope ran so fast.

When the antelope came to the other village they put the moon outside a teepee and went in. Coyote heard about it and ran out and saw the moon outside by the teepee. He took the moon and ran away with it.

The antelope heard him, and they ran after Coyote as he raced toward the river. They were going to catch Coyote, but he gave the moon a mighty heave and threw it in the pool below the falls in the Spokane River.
It is still there.

(Inland Northwest - Spokane)

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
I was up in the Sierra mountains with my Mom and brother a few days ago and we saw the most beautiful sight. 40 - 50 Golden Eagles were soaring above us near a lake. I get excited when I see one or two eagles, but to have seen so many at once was just so awe inspiring. I thought about the Native American way of life prior to European contact and wondered how significant this sight would have been to a tribe living in that area and what it would have meant to them. It was like stepping back in time. I felt so close to nature and so at peace - it was wonderful!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Amoeba
Amoeba
Ya Ta Say,

I was so surprised to find this other 'campfire' today. And to see that it was started back in February.

What a fantastic experience for you, Phyllis! I would say it was a once-in-a-life-time experience. I am sure the Native Americans would have thought it significant, as well, then and now. I, too, wonder in just what way.....

I would like to offer "The Eagle" from the book LAKOTA LIFE.

The eagle is a "winged" symbol for the Lakota people. It is the strongest and bravest of all the birds. For this reason, the eagle and its feathers have been chosen as a symbol of what is highest, bravest, strongest and holiest. It's feathers are given to another to honor them and they are worn with dignity and pride. They are treated with great respect and when one is dropped during a dance, a special ceremony is performed to pick it up again and the owner of it is careful never to drop it again.

It is also used to adorn the sacred pipe because it is a symbol of the Great Spirit who is above all and from whom all strength and power comes.

Eagle feathers or wings are used in special ways. When they are held over someone's head this means that the person is brave or that he is wished bravery or happiness. To wave it over everyone present is meant that everyone is wished peace, happiness, prosperity and a desire to help them get these things.

"Those who trust in God for help, will find their strength renewed. They will rise on wings like eagles, and they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow weak".
Isaiah 40:31

I am so glad that you shared your wonderful experience with us, Phyllis. Also, I had a wonderful time going back to the beginning and reading all the great stories. Pilamaya Vance and Phyllis.

Wakan Tanan Kici Un,
kimi kaya

OP Offline
Ya Ta Say, Kimi Kaya.

How nice to hear from you.

Yes, the eagle experience was wonderful. We hardly spoke to each other at all, we were so happy to just watch the majestic beauties.

Years ago, my younger brother had a dream that was very profound. He was managing a trading post at the time of some good friends of ours. One night he dreamed that he was walking along the coast by the trading post when a huge eagle flew over him, circled and came back, then dropped a feather which landed right in front of my brother. He carefully picked it up then the eagle came down, picked up my brother and took him over to the trading post. Our friends, when they heard about the dream were very impressed and treated my brother from that time on as a member of their family.

It was a very symbolic dream.

Thank you so much for sharing the Eagle information with us. That is very spiritual and significant, very nice.

Wakan Tanan Kici Un, my friend.
Phyllis

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 24 of 46 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 45 46

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.