Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
michelem #422218 05/29/08 05:26 PM
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Originally Posted By: michelem
I think not knowing just what to believe is more disconcerting when you have children. I have twin daughters who are almost six and a son who is 19 mo. and I feel an obligation to show them the "right" path, but I'm just not sure what that path is.
My in-laws talk to them about Jesus a lot when they spend time with them and then later ask me if Jesus is making the rain or if Jesus was watching over them in Heaven before they were born. I don't know how to answer these types of questions. I love and respect my in-laws, but I know they would be very concerned if they knew that I just don't belief all that they do. My MIL is already worried about my son because he hasn't been baptized. She doesn't want his little soul to go to Limbo if anything should happen to him!

Sorry you have in-law problems like that. My in-laws seemed to either be unaware of, or ignore the fact that we never had our son baptized. And my folks had no problem with it!

I figure, IF a deity exists, it would be a mean, petty, and cruel one to penalize people for things that are not their fault. And if he/she/it created all people -- then we would have been created to doubt, to THINK. Just as I wouldn't admire some human who exhibited such nasty traits, I wouldn't worship some being who exhibited them.

I have raised my son (now 16) to respect other's beliefs, to make his corner of the world a better place, to be kind -- basically, the values that the extremists tend to think they have a lock on, but don't.

If you give your kids a sense of respecting others and themselves, I don't think you can go too far wrong!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
[quote=Lisa - Judaism]Michelle - You may know a lot more than people who know what religion they belong to. It may feel isolating because you don't necessarily have a group to form a community, but you certainly know what you believe in!

Lisa Shea posted this site awhile back. I don't think it will (nor should it) give you your answers, but it's fun to see where you lie... and, it may point you in a direction to other people who think similarly to you.

The site is from beliefnet and it "tells you what religion you are based on your beliefs".

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Michele

We journey now into the unknown. Does anyone have a map?
michelem #422289 05/29/08 10:00 PM
E
Koala
Koala
E
That's great - let us know how it goes!

I also did the quiz, and interestingly got 100% pagan...

I still like panatheist, though wink

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
E
Koala
Koala
E
Originally Posted By: Michelle_Launch
I'm at a place right now where I'm trying to figure out what I am, too. I know I am a Christian, because I truly believe in God, Jesus and the trinity - but I believe in so much more that doesn't fit in with the acceptes doctrines. Which is why I'm popping in here, Pagan, and New Age so much right now.

*hugs*

I wish you well on your journey of self-discovery. Trish mentioned the term "explorer", which I really liked. Perhaps you are a Christian explorer.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #422293 05/29/08 10:26 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I took the quiz - and am puzzled!

1. Orthodox Quaker (100%)
2. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (93%)
3. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (85%)
4. Eastern Orthodox (76%)
5. Roman Catholic (76%)
6. Seventh Day Adventist (71%)
7. Liberal Quakers (64%)
8. Unitarian Universalism (59%)
9. Hinduism (57%)
10. Reform Judaism (51%)

I'm not even really sure what orthodox Quaker is! I thought thast was the group thsat didn't believe in electricity and wore dresses and their hair long - so NOT me! Guess I need to do some more studying...

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
E
Koala
Koala
E
Liberal Quaker sounded quite interesting. Don't know about Orthodox Quaker, I couldn't find an article on that.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #422299 05/29/08 10:58 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Here's the Orthodox Quakers

and it actually does sound quite like me.

Mu husband corrected me and said it was the Amish I was thinking of when I said no elevtricity and so forth.

He also said that Benjamin Franklin was a Quaker - so I guess there is a history of intelligence and reason in this religion.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Koala
Koala
If you have to label yourself, why not call yourself an explorer? Since you aren't sure exactly what it is you believe, it is the perfect time to read voraciously books and opinions from all different belief systems and compare it to what you believe.

Just call me Dora the Explorer!!! hehehehehe

Koala
Koala
Ithink I must have done something wrong here because my top answers I know nothing about! lmao I was sure there would be a christian something up there in the top 10 at lest!!! GEE!!!

1. Hinduism (100%)
2. Mahayana Buddhism (88%)
3. Jainism (85%)
4. Neo-Pagan (80%)
5. Unitarian Universalism (75%)
6. Theravada Buddhism (75%)
7. Sikhism (67%)
8. Liberal Quakers (67%)
9. Orthodox Judaism (67%)
10. Orthodox Quaker (60%)
11. New Age (59%)
12. Reform Judaism (59%)
13. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (57%)
14. New Thought (50%)
15. Bah�'� Faith (50%)
16. Islam (48%)
17. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (46%)
18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (44%)
19. Eastern Orthodox (42%)
20. Roman Catholic (42%)
21. Scientology (41%)
22. Seventh Day Adventist (41%)
23. Taoism (41%)
24. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (37%)
25. Jehovah's Witness (37%)
26. Secular Humanism (32%)
27. Nontheist (26%)

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I took the quiz and scored 100% NeoPagan which is right on the money for me.:)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Debbie-SpiritualityEditor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.