Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Saw this story about the new "Gears of War 2" being the most violent game ever made:
Gears of War 2: Too Violent For Some?

It got me to thinking...

There's been a lot of controversy in the news as to whether playing violent video games causes violence in children and teens (and sometimes even adults).

Many people say it is just play or fantasy - and that only people that are delusional or have mental instability would be affected. Or that for some it is actually an outlet for violence.

But I wonder. I know there has always been crime, violence, war - but it has never been so blatant as today. I think the fact that we have turned violence into a "game" we have innoculated our kids against being horrified by it.

This game for instance; there is a chance to use a chainsaw, not to fend off another weapon, but to actually cut your opponent in half, complete with blood and gore.

So why should our kids be horrified or terrified by the sight of blood anymore? They've already seen it, in a small way committed it.

I believe that once we open up our minds to violence, it has a way of sinking deeper in. It is not so unthinkable.

Even our wars are not so horrible anymore. Soldiers no longer have to actually face the enemy and watch their eyes as they die face to face. Instead we can drop a bomb and kill hundreds at a time, and never even have to imagine what te people look like.

IDK - just some rambling thoughts...

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
It's an interesting thing to think about. But on the other hand, isn't our world FAR more sanitized? Kids used to grow up on a farm where animals were routinely butchered. Now in modern times people think "ewww gross" when they have to think about where their hamburger patty came from. Kids used to work at hard farm jobs where injuries were a standard part of life. Now people work in office jobs where the most serious injury is a paper cut.

Life used to be harsh - people living in the 1600s routinely had to deal with Native American attacks and watch family and friends die. Now in modern times the only real threat is if we actually drive into the very worst part of New York City to encounter even a remote aspect of that kind of threat.

Should people *be* terrified by the sight of blood? Who would be our doctors and nurses then? smile

Just another side of the coin smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
It's an interesting thing to think about. But on the other hand, isn't our world FAR more sanitized?

I actually think this is part of the problem.

Because our kids only ever see the fake blood and violence and not the real thing, they are becoming *accustomed* to it. (There's another word I want, but I'm having a major case of insomnia right now - and can't think well). Inured?
Maybe desensitized is what I'm looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want my children growing up in a war torn country - but honestly, how many kids in Saudi or Iraq play games like this? They have their fill of real violence and don't want anymore.

Kids in the US seem to think violence is glamorous. My 16 yr okld son and I were discussing the "anti-hero" the other day. That is not something that would have been around during WW2. Now, we are so focused on "reality" our heroes are more flawed than their opponents (Can anybody say "Dexter"?)

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Just my 2 cents worth but No I do not think video games or music cause violence. I am not an expert about this, and yes my son has a PS3 and he does play several army like/zombie games and he uses a blue tooth but he also knows if I ever hear him even start to utter what I consider a bad word or he yells, it's over. I don't want to blame all Parents but I have said this before and I will say it again, if you are a Parent you are "in charge" of your children. For example I live in a rural area, we do have a family that buys vehicles, quads, etc. for their 14 year old (yes that is not a mistake he is 14 and they let him drive) these very same people (don't want to use the word parent because honestly they don't qualify) will complain constantly about how kids these days do illegal things and have no respect.....I have to keep away from these people because my jaw drops down to the ground like where in the world does their son learn his behavior???? They let him drive illegally, he tears up a vehicle they buy him another, he tears up a Quad (he is on #3) they replace it with another one. This kid is VERY violent, this past winter he got stuck in the snow right outside our gate and we got a ringside seat, my husband and I told him to NOT come back down our street (yes it was that bad)he did call us every name in the book. Again I am not an expert but I am thinking alot of the violence may be a little related to "no patience", kids are really very use to getting what they want when they want it, if that doesn't happen they naturally do what they have done most of their life to get it...throw a fit. My son has to work to get his "things".

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Oh yes, this definitely adds to it as well.

Some parents are just too busy to raise their children. smirk

So instead of setting limits, they say "OK" - because it is easier than having to enforce consequences if a rule is broken.

But kids have to learn rules and consequences, otherwise how are they going to function in the adult world?

Then there ar the parents that just want to be "buddies" with their children. Either because they had a lousy relationship with their own parents, or because they want to be cool (it's amazing how many adults are still into that). You can't set proper boundaries with a buddy.

You can raise your children with respect that goes both ways and still have limits and rules, though.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Gecko
Gecko
One thing I have noticed about the recent video games are the language, which really puts me off more than the shooting or blood. Do we really need to have every cuss word known to the world on the game ? I am probably way too old fashioned in my thinking on this one. I do think for some playing video games are a big no no, I have listened on my sons blue tooth and YIKES, very recently my son was so concerned for whomever was on there he wanted to call 911(he is 12) because he thought the person needed medical help, they were screaming and carrying on and I do have to admit it did sound pretty bad like they needed help. Makes me wonder really if these are kids and they are at home playing, are they parents listening ? We have my sons computer and game console in the family room, I like being a spy smile

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
TV and movies are far more violent. It all comes down to parenting, I believe. Far too many parents will blame everything but themselves as to why their children act that way.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
If you read many of the top selling books of the 30s and 40s they definitely had anti-heroes, they just weren't called that back then smile I think people have always been caught up by the idea of being "against society's norms" and what it means.

I know my grandparents' generation talk about running around playing cowboy and indian and wanting to kill each other over and over again. So they definitely had a penchant not only for "violence" but in a far more physical manner. They weren't doing computer generated mayhem, they were actually running around and bashing each other. Schoolyard fights were fairly common. In modern times we call in the police if someone says a bad name to someone else.

I think kids back in those days were fairly accustomed to *real* blood and violence wink

So I'm not really sure things are "worse" in modern times, it's just that we have far higher expectations. Which I would say is a good thing ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
One of the thorniest problems is not being able to enforce the family rules outside the home though.

Parents can refuse to buy games such as 13 plus, 15 plus etc in a kids own home, but often he will be exposed to 18 plus violent games at friends' houses.

Worse, his own games will then seem tame and not cool. It helps if similar groups of parents enforce the same standards.

The word 'assasin' seems to be popular and used a lot - really, what could be worse!

J
J
Video games are at their most popular time and widest distribution ever, while our kids grow up in the least violent time in history. That's supported by statistics from the justice department.

I wouldn't let any underage kids play a video game outside their rating, but I don't blame games for violence. This hysteria strikes a very familiar chord, mainly the same one that was struck when rap music was new, when Dungeons and Dragons was popular, and before that, comic books.

This is simply a generational transition, parents naturally worrying about something new, and politicians twisting that knife in the endless quest for fear and votes.

I won't be stupid and say that watching violence has zero effect on action, but there are so many different factors affecting a person's actions, from upbringing to economic situation to whether or not someone cut him off on the commute that day. Making games a scapegoat is the easy way out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.