Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I'd like to remind people that this is not about censorship, which a number of you are confusing this with. This is about talking decently in a public place.

If this was a Christian forum and someone was calling Jews "kikes", then it would be inappropriate.

If this was a Chinese forum and someone was calling African-Americans "niggers" then that would be inappropriate.

That's not censorship - that's healthy speaking in public.

If someone really talks that way when they hang out with friends, then that would be something they could chose to do with those friends off-line, but that type of derogatory speech cannot be proper on a world wide forum.

It's not censorship. It is about talking appropriately for a world wide audience.

For example it is not censorship when patrons talk at a reasonable volume, and without swearing every word, when they go to a nice restaurant. It is about acting appropriately for a location where people from a variety of backgrounds are present. If someone wants to swear like a sailor in their own home, they certainly can!

I hope this makes the distinction more clear.

I realize there are a few active posters who feel they "must talk using inflammatory words" - but I want to explain that we get THOUSANDS of people through this forum every week who do *not* post because of that language. The language being used here is driving away huge numbers of married-no-kids people who desperately want to talk about being married without kids, but who are content with their status and have no desire to listen to angry "swearing" (in their minds) posts all day long. They are seeking healthy fun advice on being MNK. Instead all they're reading is rants against kids.

For a forum which is about enjoying a lifestyle without kids, pretty much every post *is* about kids and why they can act up. It's like if the only thing the cats forum talked about is all the times people saw dog owners with bad dogs.

So to those thousands of people, it's not about censorship at all. It's about leaving here because this feels like a hostile environment to them, unwelcoming to happy MNK people.

It's like a religion-tolerant person going into a room where people are talking about "kikes". They leave pretty quickly.

I hope this clears up the censorship misconception and makes the issue more clear.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
Shark
Shark
K
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
I realize there are a few active posters who feel they "must talk using inflammatory words" - but I want to explain that we get THOUSANDS of people through this forum every week who do *not* post because of that language.The language being used here is driving away huge numbers of married-no-kids people who desperately want to talk about being married without kids, but who are content with their status and have no desire to listen to angry "swearing" (in their minds) posts all day long. They are seeking healthy fun advice on being MNK. Instead all they're reading is rants against kids.

Thousands of people a week choose not to post because they find this forum offensive? And each one of these people contacts you to tell you this? I'm afraid I find your claim very hard to believe. The way you describe this board simply does not tally with my experience of it. We cannot discuss being CF in a vacuum; it seems inevitable to me that some of the discussion touches on subjects such as parenting, especially since much of the pressure to reproduce comes from parents themselves.

So to those thousands of people, it's not about censorship at all. It's about leaving here because this feels like a hostile environment to them, unwelcoming to happy MNK people.

If by "happy MNK people" you mean those who are childfree but worship at the altar of parenthood by refusing to say anything negative about parents, then you may well have a point. I think that perhaps those of us who are a little less sensitive and do not wish to live in a virtual happy land where people only ever mention positive things need to move on. No doubt this board will soon be repopulated by the thousands of previously disillusioned "happy MNK people". Gosh, given that the MNK board is already among the busiest by far with regular posters numbering in the dozens rather than thousands, Bella Online better get a bigger server.

The emperor has no clothes. Choose The Childfree Life!
A
Shark
Shark
A
I'd like to remind people that this is not about censorship, which a number of you are confusing this with. This is about talking decently in a public place.

That's not censorship - that's healthy speaking in public.

It's not censorship. It is about talking appropriately for a world wide audience.

For a forum which is about enjoying a lifestyle without kids, pretty much every post *is* about kids and why they can act up.

For me it is about censorship. If I was having a private conversation in a low tone with my table at a restaurant, I would not want the people at the next table to lean over to listen and then complain about what I was talking about. Same as books, TV or movies. If you don't like it don't read or watch. Simple.

This is a specific forum for a specific demographic. The parents don't have to come here. They can go talk amongst themselves, which they should. We are NOT a freak-show that is okay to come by and ogle at.

We're not using "hate-speak", we are venting about situations here because we spend so much of our daily lives, biting our tongues to be polite. We need a place where we can truly express how we feel without being lambasted. We live in such a kid-centric society, a lot of things we feel cannot be expressed because we are the minority.

You used a much hated term that has been used for generations to put down people of colour. This same degoratory term is used as a term of endearment within the race. But....only people within that race are allowed to use it that way, lest they be deemed racist.

Same as in this forum, we are like-minded individuals that need a place where we don't need to tone down our feeling lest they hurt a parent's feelings. Parent's should NOT be in this forum if they are easily offended.

We are not talking to an audience, we are talking among friends!

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
farewell post deleted

Last edited by BellaOnline; 04/26/08 11:19 PM.
F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
post deleted by author

Last edited by frieda7; 04/26/08 01:20 PM.
L
Koala
Koala
L

I realize there are a few active posters who feel they "must talk using inflammatory words" - but I want to explain that we get THOUSANDS of people through this forum every week who do *not* post because of that language.

Wow - who ARE the active posters who feel they MUST talk using inflammatory words? I think we deserve an explanation.

The language being used here is driving away huge numbers of married-no-kids people who desperately want to talk about being married without kids, but who are content with their status and have no desire to listen to angry "swearing" (in their minds) posts all day long. They are seeking healthy fun advice on being MNK. Instead all they're reading is rants against kids.

Really? Huge numbers? This is the biggest forum on Bella. Or are you just trying to defend yourself because we've caught on that the other forums aren't as popular as this one?

For a forum which is about enjoying a lifestyle without kids, pretty much every post *is* about kids and why they can act up. It's like if the only thing the cats forum talked about is all the times people saw dog owners with bad dogs.

This is a forum called Married No Kids. It's about everything that comes with not having kids. A lot of that has to do with the way that we are affected by people WITH kids. You don't seem to understand that.

Not according to Kim's post from two months ago which Myra discovered and kindly posted.

Also, I think there is a HUGE difference between calling someone a "breeder" and calling someone an "n-word", which I don't even feel comfortable using as an example.

I would also like to add AGAIN that this entire thing was brought up in a very inappropriate and disrespectful manner. If this is how we are "all the time" as you have insinuated, how come it was NEVER addressed before? And why do you refuse to address how appalled we all are? No, you keep coming up with all these "reasons" that I, for one, think are unfounded.

Last edited by lngilbert; 04/26/08 05:24 PM.
S
Shark
Shark
S
I have to assume that this forum is a business. Judging by a lot of the remarks and comments I can't imagine that this is a charity. Why on earth would you attack your biggest customer? We are the majority of Bella (make that were the majority). But once again.. since our views didn't match yours, we are attacked and discriminated against once again. I'm not surprised though.. it's the number one complaint we have. People that don't understand and so they get defensive.

S
Shark
Shark
S
And one more thing.. to compare out treatment of parents to how African Americans (notice the lack of your colorfull racist slur) were treated for so many generations is just pathetic. Parents arn't the ones being discriminated against, we are. That's like trying to come out and yell at African Americans for not agreeing with their white slave owners.

C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Wow Lisa. What can I say. For you, a famous song... (hope you can speak Italian)...

Bella ciao

Una mattina mi son svegliato,
o bella, ciao! bella, ciao! bella, ciao, ciao, ciao!
Una mattina mi son svegliato,
e ho trovato l'invasor.
O partigiano, portami via,
O partigiano, portami via,
ch� mi sento di morir.
E se io muoio da partigiano,
E se io muoio da partigiano,
tu mi devi seppellir.
E seppellire lass� in montagna,
E seppellire lass� in montagna,
sotto l'ombra di un bel fior.
Tutte le genti che passeranno,
Tutte le genti che passeranno,
Mi diranno �Che bel fior!�
�� questo il fiore del partigiano�,
�� questo il fiore del partigiano,
morto per la libert�!�

L
Koala
Koala
L
Post number 1999

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.