logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gecko
Gecko
Actually, there was a report a few months ago I couldn't remember, but I googled it and in Virginia, adultery is a crime, although the punishment is minimal here is the link

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Interesting.

Well, OK.

Adultery is not a legally-punishable crime in the UK, and is only a crime in some states in the USA, but the punishments are both variable, not often enforced or reported, and relatively light.
Furthermore the cause and details of the adultery are very rarely taken into account or consideration, unless the situation has posed a danger to the other spouse....

However, it has to be said that the USA is a very strongly Christian and 'God-fearing' country, and as such, is extremely strong on Moral Law.
Not all of which I personally agree with, but hey, I'm one small European woman, what difference do I make -?!

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
some things whether legal or not are not accpetable to the individual.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Zebra
Zebra
....Right.....?

...And....?

Truly no disrespect intended, but -
How or what does that add to the discussion? confused

That's an honest question, I'm not poking...

F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
Originally Posted By: Alexandra
Fidelity is a human-focussed condition. It doesn't come naturally.

That's actually not true. There are several species of animal that mate for life. Wolves, swans, some species of whale, Gibbon apes, termites, coyotes, barn owls, beavers, bald eagles, golden eagles, condors, brolga cranes, French angel fish, sandhill cranes, pigeons, prions (a seabird), red-tailed hawks, anglerfish, ospreys, prairie voles (a rodent), and black vultures.

Gecko
Gecko
Mmm. HOWEVER, our closest relatives, the apes, do not have mates for life. It's interesting that many of the egg layers (quite a few birds and fish) are far more prone to mating for life than mammals. As for wolves, well, they mate for life, but they've also been seen to take on new mates even when the first one was still alive. (basically, "divorcing")

Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: Froggy_Moo
Originally Posted By: Alexandra
Fidelity is a human-focussed condition. It doesn't come naturally.

That's actually not true. There are several species of animal that mate for life. Wolves, swans, some species of whale, Gibbon apes, termites, coyotes, barn owls, beavers, bald eagles, golden eagles, condors, brolga cranes, French angel fish, sandhill cranes, pigeons, prions (a seabird), red-tailed hawks, anglerfish, ospreys, prairie voles (a rodent), and black vultures.

Yes, but you're missing the point... (lots of birds there, by the way....)
They do it out of a natural instinct for the necessity of survival. And if one mate dies, very often, another will be found. it's a question of procreation and passing on the genes...

Wolves, by the way, Do NOT mate for life.
There is an Alpha Male and Female, but the Male can, if the need arises, sire cubs from another female. And should the Alpha Male/Female become incapacitated, injured or killed, then for the good of the survival of the Pack, a new apporpriate replacement is established.

We 'remain faithful' out of a social compunction, and imposed set of rules and regulations.
We also have the tricky little aspect of Logic, Reason, and above all, EMOTIONS, throwing their spanners in the works.
if it wasn't for emotional obligation, we'd be far more freer with our favours.
Guilt is a hugely manipulative truncheon. Couple that with jealousy and hatred, and we have a veritable Guy Fawkes (or July 4th) shindig on our hands.

EDIT NOTE:
Sorry Grey-Drakkon, missed your post there..... wink

Last edited by Alexandra; 04/05/08 04:08 AM.
A
Shark
Shark
A
Originally Posted By: Eng Culture Nicola Jane
some things whether legal or not are not accpetable to the individual.

Alexander, Nicola was answering the original question. What couldn't you tolerate?

Whether we have been conditioned as humans to listen to our emotions is not the point. Some of us are just not comfortable with certain behaviours from our mates. Nature has nothing to do with whether or not we will tolerate infidelity. It's a conscious choice.

Zebra
Zebra
It was non-specific. The question asks "WHAT couldn't you tolerate?"

It's not that I couldn't 'tolerate' it, it's that I didn't understand the point of the post, if there was no clarification.

I didn't say nature had anything to do with tolerating infidelity. I said fidelity is a socially imposed stricture. whether we decide to tolerate it or not is a choice. But it's a natural thing for mammals to not be faithful on the whole, and we are mammals.

And it's AlexandrA, by the way.

Thanks. wink

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Posters-

Please understand that we are all entitled to our opinions whether they conflict with others or not.

The posts are getting a little too hot.Let's back off a bit, okay?

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.