Page 1 of 2 1 2
#400992 03/31/08 09:25 AM
N
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
N
Hi everyone!

Here is my latest article, on "matching" sibling names: Matching Names of Siblings

What's your view on this -- do you think it's better when sibling names match in some way (i.e., rhyme, or start with the same first letter)? Or, do you think they should be as distinct from one another as possible?

Last edited by Nancy R Callahan; 03/31/08 05:14 PM.

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I think they should be themselves, go with the flow,not controlled, some of mine rhyme, but I did not intentionally do it that way, it kind of got a natural rhytham of its own! Mine are, Max,Gus ,Jake,Jed and Samuel

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Couldn't find the article, it redirected me to the Bella homepage.

Anyways, I don't like sibling names that rhyme or have all the same first letter, or what-have-you... however, I do think sibling names should at least GO together. I always find it odd if a family consists of siblings named (this is an example):

Thomas
Edward
James
Catherine
and Marajha

Marajha (female, means "made in the sea" in Esperanto) clearly stands out from the other names. Thomas, Edward, James, and Catherine are all classic names. Marajha is exotic and non traditional (by American standards). It's clearly different from the others.

However, I think one thing that CAN make names go together even if they don't is if every single one of your children have a name that doesn't go with each other. By not having any of the children's names "go" with the other childrens names... they end up "going" together, does that make sense? I have a friend who is going to have her third daughter soon. Her first daughter's name is Rebecca. Classic Hebrew name. Her second daughter is Alyssa, which is a rather trendy name. In my opinion the two names don't go together at all. Both she and I were saying that it would be really weird if she chose a name for her third daughter that "went with" either Rebecca or Alyssa because it would make the other name stand out like a sore thumb. So instead she went in a completely different direction and chose Gwendolen, a traditional Welsh name. It's got an entirely different sound and feel to it than both Rebecca and Alyssa (both of which I think have a different sound and feel from each other too), not to mention completely different origins and styles. I think the fact that the names are so SO SO different from each other is what makes them go together.

I like name themes, though I like them to be a little more subtle and not in your face. I have a son named Seamus (SHAY-mus) which is a traditional Irish name. It's the Irish form of James. His full name is Seamus Padraig Scott (two middle names). Seamus, Padraig, and Scott are all Celtic names. That is my "theme". It's important to me that I choose names for my future children that "go" with Seamus' name. I'd find it odd if I had a Seamus Padraig Scott and then an Alejandro Felix Bernardo. The names are COMPLETELY different from each other and they don't "go".

But I'm not going to go with an overly obvious matching. I'm not going to have kids named Seamus (SHAY-mus), Sinead (shih-NAYD), Sean (SHAWN), and Searlait (SHAR-let). I've chosen to have only Irish, Scottish, and Welsh names be used and that none of the same first letters of the first name being repeated. I do plan to use the name Siobhan (sha-VAWN) on the next girl, but only as a middle name. All my kids will also have two middle names. The current sib set I have in mind (if I have a total of two girls and two boys... which may or may not happen. I may have all boys or whatever... any way is fine by me, this is just to show the girl and boy names):

Seamus Padraig Scott (male, already born)
Rhiannon Caoimhe Siobhan (female. Caoimhe is said "KEE-vuh")
Conan Iain Alasdair or Conan Alasdair Iain (male)
Moira Brigid Gwenhwyfar (female)

Seamus, Rhiannon, Conan, and Moira may not seem overtly matchy, though if one knows enough about Celtic names, may realize that they are all Celtic. They match, but they're not "matchy".

On the same path as name themes... when it comes to kids with the same first letter names, even though I'm not a fan of that... if it's already there, I think it should continue. If there's already 3 or more kids that have the same first letter, I would find it odd if they had another child with a different first initial, especially if it's their last child. Though, if they have more kids and they give them different first initials, then I guess that would be less weird. On the same line as that, I have a friend who has 5 kids. The first two have names that start with C, the second two have names that start with I, and the fifth child has an L name. They're thinking of having another child, and I feel that since they've already got this theme going on, the sixth child should have a name that starts with L. That way they have: C, C, I, I, L, L. Like I said, I'm not a fan of matching first initials, but if there's already a theme established (3 or more kids, IMO), I think it should continue... unless you're planning to have a LOT more kids, lol... then it's not so weird.

I don't know if any of this made sense. I just woke up. Sorry I basically wrote a book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
)0( Bright Blessings! )0(
~Niamh~
Seamus Padraig Scott Dhabolt, born: January 24, 2007
Elephant
Elephant
my sister decided to give her children the same Initials. ALYEJ.

Also, the first names all begin the same way. With a letter A, an apostrphe and a capitol second consonent.

Example:

A'Daja
A'Treu
A'Nyuasha

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Elephant
Elephant
however, my other sister did different names:

Zachary Alan and Ryan James

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
R
Gecko
Gecko
R
I don't even like it when all children in the family have the same initials.

Each human is unique and I think they should be given distinctly different sounding names.

(Speaking of names - how about all of the George Foreman people running around?)

N
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
N
Hi Niamh -- the link should be fixed now! Thanks for letting me know it wasn't working.

Originally Posted By: Niamh
On the same path as name themes... when it comes to kids with the same first letter names, even though I'm not a fan of that... if it's already there, I think it should continue.

I totally agree -- if you've got an established pattern, no matter what it is, it probably shouldn't be changed mid-stream. You want your kids to feel they're equal to one another; you don't want the name of one to "stick out" -- as if that child were different, or favored.

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
Parakeet
Parakeet
I once knew a family that gave the ONLY distinct initial to their middle child.

James (father)
Judith (mother)
Jamie (first daughter)
Emily (second daughter)
Jillian (third daughter)

I always felt sorry for Emily. She was the oddball in the family as far as names AND the middle child. She felt perpetually out of place in her own family.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
L
Koala
Koala
L
My mom, aunts, and maternal grandparents all have names that start with G. They called themselves "The Five G's." I thought that was cute. They named one dog Gatsby to continue the pattern. And they also had a Ginger. I think those were the only dogs with "G" names.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I think it's cute when siblings have names with a common theme. I know one family who put Mark and Maria in all their children's names...mostly because their names were Mark and Maria too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.