Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Duane - is your name used much in the States or is it a family name? I've never met a Duane - how is your name pronounced?...is it pronounced Dwayne?
My sister's name is Narelle - she hates it - it was very unusual when she was born - a few babies were named Narelle 10-15 years after her birth - unfortunately, there was a popular sit-com in Australia in the 70s featuring a dumb girl called Narelle - so, my sister got all the "dumb Narelle" cracks - it didn't really bother her - she was a top student.
Her mail is often addressed to Narele, Narell - she even gets Mirelle - her friends & family call her Nelly or Rel...
I think parents should think of the child when they choose a name - Dweezel Zappa always reminds me of Weasel - and his sister MoonUnit One...What! One of my colleagues called her son, Alphonsus...
I suppose he'll get Alf or Alfie...St John is another unusual name (pronounced Sinjon)...not keen on either...
I also, don't usually like "made up" names or names with "creative" spelling...Belinda becomes Byllinda...no one will ever get that right!

Last edited by Deborah49; 03/12/08 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
i like some made up names. My sister created a beautiful name A'Daja Lynnae which represented all four of us children... Addie Jason Michael and (Aimee) Lynn

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Shark
Shark
For some reason, I'm not fond of made-up names either. I'm puzzled about this since it seems contrary to my style but I just feel that way. I don't even like it when common names are spelled differently than usual. Perhaps I don't like the uncertainty of not knowing how to spell them. I do, however, tend to like a lot of unusual names such as historical or mythological names or even names that come from ordinary words that I find pleasing or interesting. In retrospect, I wish I had been more open-minded when naming my children.

E
Koala
Koala
E
I'll copy Duane and say that my actual name (Elsa) is up there with the worst names to give a child. Honestly - who names their child after a painful medical condition? Not to mention that no one ever gets my name right, but I really don't mind being called Alison or Lisa. I'm not as fond of being called Alma or Elna, though.

And I'm with Diane, I loathe made up names and I hate names with apostrophes that are soooooooo overused in fantasy fiction.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
I like my name, but like Duane's, it gets mangled regularly, and there's the fun of getting mail addressed to yourself, but as a male instead of a female, so would consider carefully naming a girl Carey : )

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
There are alot of names I like but would never saddle a child with due to the fact that my REAL name is so unusual.
I use those fun names for my cats, I have Rufus, Tumnus and Salem.

Gecko
Gecko
Elsa,
At least you're not named Leper Priest, Rubella Graves, or Fever Bender. BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
Elephant
Elephant
I like Elsa as well.

I hate Jason, hence why I am changing to Jase LOL

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Gecko
Gecko
This is going to irk some people, but the reason I would never name a child any of the following names is because they're SO overused right now and have been since the 90s:

McKenzie
McKayla/Makayla
McKenna
Madison
Addison
Kennedy
Britney
Bailey
Peyton
Hayden
Hannah
Hailey
Kaitlyn
Kaylee
Taylor
Aiden
Caleb

"Men and women think that it is necessary to have children. It is not. It is their animal nature and social custom, rather than reason, which makes them believe that this is a necessity." --Democritus
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'd never consider:

o Traditionally male names used for girls
--James, Logan, David, Aidan, etc.

o Most unisex names (or recently viewed as unisex... meaning names that were viewed as male up until recently, but are now seen as being unisex or even female):
--Shannon, Morgan (though for a long time I wanted to use that one), Kelly, etc; and also the recent ones: Hayden, Jadon, Peyton, Mackenzie, etc.

o Most last names used as first names (ESPECIALLY on girls)
--Mackenzie, Hayden, Madison, Taylor, Kennedy, etc etc.

o Names that mean "son of ___" for girls
--Mackenzie ("son of Kenneth"), McKenna (also "son of Kenneth"), Madison ("son of Maud"), Addison ("son of Adam"), Emerson ("son of Emery"), etc etc.

o Trendy names
--They -ayden trend (Jadon, Caden, Aidan, Hayden, Brayden, etc)
--Made up names (Kayla, Kailey, Nevaeh [*shudders*], etc etc)
--Also includes all the previous categories.

o Names in the top 100 (preferably not even the top 500). I like my names to be unusual. Even if I like the name a lot, I wouldn't use it if it were in the top 100.
--Jacob, Michael, Joshua, Ethan, Matthew, Daniel, Christopher, Anthony, Andrew, William, etc.
--Emily, Emma, Madison, Isabella, Ava, Abigail, Olivia, Hannah, Sophia, Samantha, etc.

o Non-Celtic names... this is specifically for my kids. We prefer our children have Celtic names. I love a lot of non-Celtic names, but we wouldn't use them for our kids.

There are a few more things in my list of criteria, lol... but this should suffice for now. wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
)0( Bright Blessings! )0(
~Niamh~
Seamus Padraig Scott Dhabolt, born: January 24, 2007
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.