logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
KLW #382323 02/27/08 01:16 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm sorry to say that PPI's do not heal the stomach lining. Before taking these prescriptions I recommend slippery elm tea. You take 1 tablespoon (or a little less) of slippery elm powder (available at health food stores) and a teaspoon or less of honey and stir them into warm (not hot) water. This coats and heals the esophagus and stomach lining. It is not exactly a tasty concoction, but it really works for me. Also try Aloe Vera capsules and marshmallow herb (not the roasting kind!) I always recommend you see a licensed practitioner for dose recommendations.

I am working on an article on holistic answers to heartburn.

Please see my article on meds for GERD:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shannon L. Wolf #382333 02/27/08 01:29 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Can't wait for the holistic answers to heartburn....

Shannon L. Wolf #382340 02/27/08 01:40 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Do you have any holistic suggestions for IBS? Would the slippery elm help any?

My fiance is very sensitive to his environment anyway with allergies and such. He has cronic IBS with both bloating and diarhea on a daily basis. He has been contemplating aloe juice. He is against medications but pro-natural remedies.

Karen elleise
Clairvoyance

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Parakeet
Parakeet
Hi Karen,

I'm not a big fan of meds either.

Yes slippery elm will help IBS. It coats and heals the entire GI tract. Absolutely have your husband give it a try. I also found that fennel tea is very soothing. And meditation can make a huge difference. I recommend the book "The 4 Agreements" which helps you become aware that the anxiety that you feel isn't as real as you think it is.

I would stay away from the Aloe, though. Aloe can increase colon motility which can feel crampy. Aloe and can also loosen the bowls, which in a nutshell tells you that it will make his condition worse. What is good for the stomach and LES is not always good for conditions of the colon, so I'm glad you asked.

I am working on an article for IBS natural cures. You may also be particularly interested in the article I have in mind connecting IBS with the supernatural. (How daring is that?)

So tell me, what do you see in my future? wink

Shay

Shannon L. Wolf #382570 02/27/08 07:18 PM
K
KLW Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
K
PROTONIX is a prescription drug that is used to treat and maintain healing of erosive acid reflux disease, also known as erosive GERD (breaks in the lining of the esophagus), and relieve associated symptoms that may include frequent and persistent heartburn and stomach acid backup. Most patients heal within 8 weeks of treatment. Doctors may prescribe PROTONIX beyond 8 weeks to maintain healing or to prevent a recurrence of your symptoms. Controlled studies did not extend beyond 12 months.

KLW #382798 02/28/08 02:51 AM
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
KLW,

Do you happen to be taking Byetta? (An injectable drug to lower BG but it is not insulin.) I am also a Type 2 diabetic with GERD and when i took Byetta i was sick as a dog. That is a side effect of Byetta but for many people that wears off after a short term. It only got worse for me.

pat d

patd #382956 02/28/08 10:48 AM
K
KLW Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
K
Im on Gylburide, Not Byetta

KLW #383052 02/28/08 01:01 PM
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
I have taken and am taking Glyburide due to the fact that i can't tolerate Byetta but i've not had problems with that. I *think* i remember taking a GERD med before Protonix that i had a problem with but i don't remember for sure. Maybe there is a different med you could take that you would tolerate better. God, i really feel for you cuz i remember how completely horrible i felt on Byetta and how unpredictable my ability to keep food down was. When i was on Byetta and threw up it was like i was throwing up 2 days worth of whatever food i had eaten...i could never believe the amount. It was horrible. I really hope you can figure it out.

Hugs to you,
pat

KLW #383170 02/28/08 03:55 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: KLW
PROTONIX is a prescription drug that is used to treat and maintain healing of erosive acid reflux disease, also known as erosive GERD (breaks in the lining of the esophagus), and relieve associated symptoms that may include frequent and persistent heartburn and stomach acid backup. Most patients heal within 8 weeks of treatment. Doctors may prescribe PROTONIX beyond 8 weeks to maintain healing or to prevent a recurrence of your symptoms. Controlled studies did not extend beyond 12 months.

This is an excellent quote and very true. Many medications can cause GERD by relaxing the LED (lower esophageal sphincter)and it sounds like you are on one of them. A healthy LED allows food to enter the stomach, then tightens back up. When the LED is relaxed, stomach acid can splash back up from the stomach causing the esophagus to burn.

But here's the rub, and it doesn't please me to say this: PPi's inhibit the production of stomach acid, so that there is less of it to splash back up allowing the esophagus to heal. Here is the red flag: We need our stomach acid to properly digest our food. If we can't digest our food quickly enough it sits in the stomach for longer than it should. When this happens, the LED relaxes. The LED can only then remain healed as long as the acid remains in a reduced state. The burns or lesions are "healed" but the LED is perpetually relaxed and your food under-digested. In other words, in most cases, you will be dependant on the PPi's to maintain a healed esophagus and in turn your LED cannot tighten up to protect the esophagus from the acid. So in the long run, PPi's cause acid reflux. Any one who has been on them for any length of time and tries to stop taking them will be in instant and perpetual agony. Besides acid reflux or GERD, long term use of PPi's can lead to an inflamed stomach lining and many other new health problems, including the dependency on acid reducers for life.

As I said, it doesn't make me happy to say this! I am painstakenly trying to get off of these meds. I used to have a burning in my stomach for years, which was probably H pilori. I never had acid reflux until I started taking acid reducers. When I learned the way these meds actually work I was stunned. This is why I caution everyone to try holistic approaches for acid reflux that heal the esophagus without harming the LED or stomach lining.

Of course everyone has free will. But as the saying goes "knowledge is power!"

Shannon L. Wolf #383181 02/28/08 04:07 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Thanks for the information Shay! I will be sure to pass it on.

BTW about tying the supernatural to IBS. Hubby says what happens to him after a milkshake or piece of pizza IS supernatural...lol whistle

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.