logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
As far as friends go, I have one close guy friend and 2 close girl friends from middle school. Actually, I lived next door to and have been friends with my one girl friend since I was 3 and she was 5. I am totally comfortable hanging out with these friends and/or their spouses/significant others at any time.

However, at family functions, I am typically hanging out with the guys because they don't talk about babies and kid related topics all the time. And, only one of the guys bingoes me; whereas most of the women do.

Amber

"The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others." Sonya Friedman
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Of the good female friends I have, I tell them, when asked, about how a guy thinks about things. I tell them direct. Sometimes it's not nice, but it is the truth. Deep inside I have a male ego, but it is subdued. But I can extrapolate and tell what other guys are thinking about. I have been praised by others for helping them understand the male species.

In return, I have learned a lot about how women think and feel. Actually, it is more like how women feel and think, since women tend to use emotions as a more important basis for making decisions. Some women like DW think like me -- more logically, but since she is a woman, I dare not assume that she ALWAYS thinks like me. In cleaning up the bedroom, we have some older plastic roses that have gathered dust (they were several years old). I dared not just throw them away, because I thought that she might still want them, being a woman. However, I deferred and asked her later if she would mind if I did that. Luckily, she agreed.

One thing that guys learn is that you never want to get on a woman's bad side -- especially if you are living with her.

Last edited by Duane_Va; 02/26/08 11:25 AM.
F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
I'm not super girly, but I can't decide...mostly I have guy friends at the moment, but I still don't think guy friends are quite enough. I really do connect well with certain women (like here!) and need that outlet. Sometimes I've been to all-women events, and they can be such a blast!! As long as the whole motherhood thing stays out of it, and the competition isn't too bad, it's very freeing. I think I would have done well living in a village and having other women around more, or as a polygamist. crazy

I'm definitely less shy with women, and like at parties usually feel more comfortable approaching and talking to women I don't know, though I'm trying to get more confident.

Last edited by frieda7; 02/26/08 12:50 PM.
A
Shark
Shark
A
When I was younger, most of my friends were guys but in college where I met DH, we had a circle of friends (both male and female) that got along very well. I'm still friends with my girl-friends from college.

Work is a different story. My job has always been in a male-dominated industry and I never had many female friends at work. For the first time ever, at my new job, since I actually have female colleagues, I have made women friends. It might be an age thing too since there is isn't as much competition with women as we all get older.

I have noticed that men go through the whole mid-life thing and have more than one friend suggest an affair. Well, that kind of puts a damper on the friendship. So, for now, I prefer having work friendships with women over men.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: frieda7
I'm definitely less shy with women, and like at parties usually feel more comfortable approaching and talking to women I don't know, though I'm trying to get more confident.

The opposite is true for me. My comfort zone is AWAY from the women.

At parties and other social gatherings (specifically those where I know very few people), I'm most comfortable in one-on-one conversations, mostly with guys. Women make me feel awkward and inadequate (I'm the short girl in jeans with messy hair surrounded by women who are taller, expensively dressed, and immaculately groomed) so I get a bit shy about starting conversations with them. Guys are so much easier to talk to. I never feel judged or lesser than them. I relate to guys -even those I've never met before- quickly and easily.

Also, my sense of humor tends to agree more with those of men. Women don't usually "get" me, my humor, or my tomboyish appearance and attitudes.

Last edited by myrabeth; 02/27/08 12:14 AM.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
M.B. #382085 02/27/08 02:09 AM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I definitely agree. I usually have nothing to talk about with girls, especially if they're girly. I mean, I'm sympathetic by nature and I have a lot of other girl traits, but I've just always been more comfortable with guys. I'm not into hair, or clothing, or shoes - in fact, I'm most at home in a tanktop, jeans, and Birkenstocks. I hate high heels and wouldn't be caught dead in pantyhose. I don't understand the joy of shopping or see the need to keep my nails polished (I don't think I've used nail polish in years). My hairdryer was commandeered by DH and serves as a paint dryer, but I never used it anyway. I can talk football better than most guys I know and I can fix most things on my own car - I rebuilt my first carburetor at 17!

I just identify more with typical guy humor, too. I have women friends, and I understand that they have a role to play in my life, but I just tend to seek out men. My best friend is male, and most of DH's and my friends are guys. I hate it when they bring their wives/girlfriends over, because we never have anything in common but DH expects me to develop some sort of friendship with them. Ick.

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
Originally Posted By: Trisharoni
My best friend is male, and most of DH's and my friends are guys. I hate it when they bring their wives/girlfriends over, because we never have anything in common but DH expects me to develop some sort of friendship with them. Ick.

Oh! I totally know what you mean. That happens with us too. We make a couple-friend, and both like the guy better, and I end up getting stuck hanging out with the woman more. If she's really bad, it gets even worse because the guys try and ditch you with her. mad

Last edited by frieda7; 02/27/08 12:59 PM.
B
Shark
Shark
B
I suppose I qualify as a tomboy, but I have friends of both genders. The characteristic I tend to avoid is traditional types of either gender. I have nothing in common with submissive, catty mommy types or domineering Father Knows Best types. If I'm forced into a social situation with both, I'm more likely to hang with the machismo crowd or see how much Ro-tel I can consume.

I m just happy with my male friends and I don't want any girl friend. After settled in my life i would like to look for a girl and marry with her.

Please visit my blog on
Ipod downloads
P
Gecko
Gecko
P
I'm totally a tomboy, and while I have a number of great girlfriends, I have to say how WONDERFUL it was to go to Aspen a couple of weeks back and hang with the boys! I had two male roomies, and the event I was at had about 12 girls and over 100 guys ... so there was never a shortage of cute guys!!

Guys are so uncomplicated, it's such a pleasant change!

Childfree? Join us at www.thechildfreelife.com.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.