logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 30 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 29 30
A
A
Hi Jenny... I know I'm really, really late to this post, but I just came across this site. I had actually googled, "I hate being a mom" because I was so hoping there was someone else out there going through something similar.

Before we had our child, I had thought that I was ready to be a parent and that it was what I wanted. I had no idea how much I would mourn the loss of myself and my life. I had no idea that I would lose myself this much. It's been 19 months and I'm still reeling.

It's next to impossible for most women to be able to comprehend... to them, giving birth gave them life... gave them a sense of self and a connection to the world. To me, it was dying. All the parts that I liked about myself and my life are gone.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know that there are others like you out there that feel they've made a huge mistake that they will have to live with and make the best out of for at least 16 to 17 more years.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
It sounds like to me that it's not an issue of whether or not you love your baby, but that you feel you're not getting your due out of life, am I right?

I agree with the OP's that this sounds like depression (not a professional and don't claim to be one) more than parenting issues. I'm not a big fan of better living through chemistry, but depression, post partum or otherwise, is nothing to toy with. Please do consult a professional that you trust.

There's no reason anyone should have to simply "make do" for approximately 1/4 of their entire lifespan just because they had a baby! Maybe if you bring other aspects of your life to the place that you feel happy and satisfied, you may come to find satisfaction from raising your child as well.

P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
Hi Jenny,

I just want to thank you for posting such an honest and deep message. I don't have children so i can't answer from that perspective but i am a therapist and would like to just add a couple of things. First, i agree with "msbaby" that it may be postpartum depression; here is a government site which might help you with information: BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

S
SWK Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I'm so glad I stumbled onto this website. My husband and I are considering ivf, and I'm battling whether to go forward with it. I have no kids, but we have his daughter part-time. I give so much of my time to her but reap none of the "rewards" since I'm not a "real mom." I don't know what my motivations are for suddenly wanting to try to have a child--I never wanted one until a few years ago--and even now, I'm worried that I'll resent the loss of financial freedom that we've worked so hard to achieve. Jenny, your thoughts, as well as others who've posted, have pushed me to think even harder about this decision. Thank you for sharing such intimate thoughts.

SWK
L
L
SWK,
I also just stumbled onto this site when I googled "not enjoying being a mom." I just wanted to tell you that IVF is expensive and the outcome might not be what you want since you are not even sure if you want to have kids. We did it and now have twins. They are wonderful babies but ironically I'm googling "not enjoying being a mom." I was never sure that I wanted kids. But pressure from parents, my husband, my circle of people made me think I should have kids. And when I found out we couldn't "naturally" then it became a goal, something to achieve. I don't want to say I regret it cause it's so taboo but honestly, I hate being a mom. My life before was traveling on a whim, quiet nights at home, dinner out with friends, going to work and I loved it. Since having the twins I have not had one good night's rest. It's been 8 1/2 months. I'm slowly losing my mind. I hardly talk to anyone anymore. I play with the babies and pretend to enjoy it. When I finally have them down to sleep I go to the bathroom and cry. I can't talk to anyone that I know about it because they would think I'm crazy because I have what seems to be the perfect life. A multi million dollar home, Benzs in the garage, a caring, loving husband, twins - a boy and a girl, a nanny, housekeeper, I even have a perfect little part time job that pays well and is flexible. Honestly, I don't even know myself what's wrong with me. But I swear, as soon as I step into the house and hear the babies crying I just want to run away from all of it. I feel like I've aged 10 years. I can't go back so I grin and bear it and hope and pray that something will click someday soon when I can finally "see" or "feel" what these happy moms are talking about.

Thanks for this forum for letting me say what's been in my heart for so long! frown

F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
trust me I once felt like you but when they grow up you will feel like that alot less mine is only 8 and 5 but I felt just like you still do.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
The older they get, the more freedom you have. My son will be heading to college full-time in the fall, and I'm kind of mourning the loss already! He's a neat kid, fun, funny, interesting... but every child and family is different.

FWIW, I didn't go through IVF, but had fertility issues, and ds is a pergonal baby. I know some who went through IVF, and that is not a guarantee of a pregnancy or baby. One woman I know tried three times, and didn't conceive. Another conceived and lost the pregnancy -- later adopted a 16 mo Russian girl.

I would suggest you examine deeply if you want a child to have a child to love and raise, or a child because it is the "done thing." Children should be raised with love and joy, not just duty and obligation.

I did the same thing as Azul - googled "hate being a mom". I know it's awful, but I really hate being a mom. I, too, thought I was prepared for motherhood. I was 18, living in Germany with my husband, and it just seemed like a good idea. Well, my daughter was colicky and cried at all hours. My husband would be gone for 30 or 60 days and I'd be crying my eyes out because the baby wouldn't stop crying and I had very little support. My daughter has always been a strong-willed, difficult child. I know that part of it is my fault, but I refuse to take 100% of the blame. At one point I sent her to live with her dad. (We split when she was five.) I had recently remarried, had a 9-month-old baby and two other children in the house and my daughter would scream all night, throw things, tear everything off the shelves and walls, and she even threw a pair of scissors at my husband. I'd tried taking her to a counselor. I'd tried medicating her. I couldn't handle her. She went to live with her dad and stayed with him for four years. She did really well for about two years, but then she started acting up for her dad and stepmom. Now she's a freshman, living with me again for about a year now, and I can't stand her. I hate being a mom. I hate that I have to try to cram in a 40-hour work week, 35 minutes commute, four kids at four different schools, etc. If I'm at work I'm stressing about the kids, if I'm at home I'm stressing about the kids AND about work. And right now I have more freedom with my 6-year-old than I do with my 14-year-old. I hate that everyone thinks women are just naturally mothering - I am most definitely not. I have little patience, I suck at disciplining consistently, and I'm the kind of person who really, really needs time to myself on a regular basis. I love my kids, even when I can't stand them, but I really don't love being a parent.

Shew, that felt good. I've kept it bottled up - there's not really anyone in my life I can confess this to... People were really judgmental when I sent my daughter to live with her dad.

Anyway, it's nice to vent and also to know that I'm not the only one out there who doesn't just love being a mom above all else in life!

Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult. - Author Unknown
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
I'm not a Mum....so, I hope you don't mind me mentioning...everyone is different.
I have a few mothers working with/for me. One of our para-legals started maternity leave in 2005 - the intention was to stay at home with her baby for 12-18 months.
After 4 months she called our PR person...she HAD to come back to work. It wasn't working for her - she felt bored, isolated and unhappy.
We suggested she try 2 days a week - it worked - she ended up being a happy para-legal and a happy Mum.
I suppose what I'm saying is...if the current "arrangement" isn't working for you - rather than stay unhappy - look for something that might make things better for you and your child - perhaps, utilize a play group a couple of mornings a week or ask a friend or relative to take your baby for a few hours.
It seems to me there is often pressure to be the "perfect Mum"...be quiet, don't complain - when Mum's finally ask for help it's usually a desperate last measure.
I can't see anything wrong with someone saying they're not happy and doing something about it...some women love being SAHM's - others need to work or need some other outlet...
I know our para-legal was criticized by her MIL & others but, sometimes you have to develop a thick skin and do what you think is right for you and your child...
Good luck everyone...

A
A
Hello! I also foung this place when I googled "I hate being a mother". I have a 5 year old daughter and I am divorced. I am not a native english speaker so I hope that you will excuse my mistakes.

What I will try to prove and I believe that it's valid for most women, is that most of the resentment I feel towards motherhood is not because of the child itself or its needs, although she is far from perfect and she can be tiring sometimes. What I find lousy and unbearable both when I was married and even more now that I am divorced is the way the society treats mothers. The role of the mother and the way of life that is imposed to the majority of women who wish to enjoy motherhood is devouring, irrational and inhuman. Back in the 19th century people were working like animals in the factories. You couldn't accuse a person for being lazy and self centered and not willing to follow Gods commandment because he felt that such work sucked. It would be a joke to present him a nice poster with "the happy dilligent worker" in order to inspire this poor lost soul. With motherhood it is the same thing. You can't say that an intelligent and sensitive woman, who feels that the role of the mother as it is formed by the modern society suffocates her very soul, has psychological problems or that she is too selfish and self centered.

Mothers usually get depressed not because they need "counceling" but because they need more support from loving people who pay attention to them, acknowledge their effords and share their everyday problems, their hopes and their dreams. Also mothers needs a person who is in love with them and finds them attractive and desirable. For married mothers this person cannot be the husband who comes back home from work exhausted, wanting a nice meal, a cozy place to rest his bones, and good sex and the last thing he needs is to spend his last bits of energy providing emotional support. Also, in a marriage with children the "in love" feeling faids away and in most cases the husband doesn't find the woman as attractive as he used to because he doesn't have to chase her anymore. She is already too dependand on him since she has his child already. Also, nobody finds attractive a tired woman, who has little time to take care of herself and she doesn't look sexy, who has to (go to work and) stay at home all day and night arranging the house, cooking etc with her pijamas instead of wearing sexy dresses and going out dancing and prefers to get a good night sleep instead of seducing. So what about friends? In the vast cities where most of us live it is almost impossible to have a circle of good old friends when you are in your 30s. Very few people stay in the place where they grew up and most of them decide to move to a new house when they are in their 30s. They have to be very lucky to end up living in a place where they can make good friendships with their neighbours. Even in that case, still they socialize as couples and not as seperate entities. After a while, the woman finds herself spending long days living like a robot, all alone, with not a living soul to share her thoughts and dreams. I've been there and I know it.

For unmarried mothers or divorced mothers (like me) things are even worse because they have to face the fact that they are considered more or less outcasts from the group of married people because married women see them, even subconciusly, as a potential threat to their marriage and married men, when they don't see them as the easy and vulnerable victim for an illegal affair, they see them as a bad example for their wives. Even if they are accepted and this happens only with dear old friends from school, they have to be extra careful about anythig they say concerning relationships, actually it is better not to talk at all, because they are considered as either evil and envious persons trying to ruin other people's marriages, or pathetic losers who got crashed from being single and parents so they ended up believing that keeping a marriage is everything in life. Most of the people in their 30s that I know are freshly married.

The relationships with the few unmarried friends that are left they are based on an unequal basis because the single/divorced mother has always to take into account the child and make her plans accordingly and ask the others (who cannot always understand) to fit their program to those needs or she has to overextent herself in order to be able to keep those friendships. Also, the unmarried/divorced mother is more often exhausted or depressed, she needs more support. When she brings the child along she is held responsible for the childs bad behaviour. At the same time she has less time and resources to offer to others. So, the unmarried/divorced mother has to feel grateful, and she has to act in a meek or even in a servile way in order to secure acceptance from her friends.

About feeling desirable or even better that someone is "in love with you" those are long forgotten concepts for unmarried/divorced women. I was reading a survey that showed that a child is the second most unwanted characteristic in a partner when the first is not having a job. You will all tell me nice stories about women who found "Prince Charming" although they had a child etc, but I will ask you how long did they have to suffer waiting all alone, crushing under responsibilities while being constantly rejected. In the case of a unmarried/divorced mother, being pretty is a curse because although you can see that you are very desirable soon after that you will experience rejection in the cruelest way. If you have a good job and money things are not getting better, because in that case men find the child as an excuse to belittle you and get their petty revenge on you for daring being more succesfull from them although you are a woman. There is also the other kind of men who think that "a second hand ferrari is better than a brand new fiat" (this is something I have really heard from people, friends and potential lovers). Those are men that you would have rejected if you didn't have a child or that you have already rejected in the past but now, they thing that they have a good chance with you because under your new circumstances, you can't afford being too selective. Even if you meet a guy who looks right you will soon find out that you don't have enough time and energy to give to a potential relationship, you find it difficult to lay aside cynicism and open up your heart, and if you manage to do this then you find it difficult not to appear needy after all those years of isolation and finally you are scared to death thinking that you will might end up devastated and unable to cope with your responsibilities. Also, you feel guilty that you have to exclude your child from a part of your life, you have to decide when is the right time for the child to meet the guy, you always afraid that it might not work and then the child will be traumatized and you feel guilty both towards the child and the guy when you see your child suffering from jealousy and treating the guy in a lousy way. I've been through all those situations and the only thing that worked for me is shallow relationships, which of course are not fulfilling but at least they don't endanger my well being and my family peace.

At the same time the ex, free from all responsibility since it is normal and totaly acceptable for men NOT to spend much time with their offsprings and leave them to their grandparents and NOT to try too hard to earn money when the mother has a good job, he can fully enjoy life WHILE enjoying having a daughter at the same time AND he can advise me about how good it would be for me and the child if I could find a nice and loving partner.

The weird thing that happens when you give birth to a child is that right from the beggining you are considered by default of being a bad and ingnorant mother and you have to struggle hard to prove the opossite to everybody (friends, familly, collegues, people on the street etc). If you are an unmarried/divorced mother, this phenomenon is even more intense.I have a 5 year old daughter who is healthy, intelligent and happy and I haven't heard once in my life a good word for all the work that I do, especially from my mother or any other older woman. The only things that I hear is people critisizing everything that I do sometimes openly, other times in the form of "advise". You have to answer and explain everything like a criminal like why you chose that day care and not the other, why you answered the mobile phone while she was talking to you, why did you buy her those clothes and not the others, your way of teaching her things (numbers, letters) is not the most efficient, why did you take her with you to a cafe/restaurant with your friends, why do you run and chase eatchother in the house like you were a baby too etc. The worst thing about those "advises" is that most of the times they are contradictory like "why didn't you let her cry? You are unable to teach a child discipline" and next moment "what kind of mother you are to let your daughter cry because you don't let her watch that dvd for a 4th time in a row" etc. Even my ex who spends very little time with her (she spends most of his visiting days with her grandparents) is always ready to critisize.My daughter acts like a crazy brat when we spend time with other people because she knows that since I need them or they can make me feel guilty, I don't count when they are around. I have tried to explain that to my daughter and I hope that she understood that we are a team and we shouldn't let those other well-wishers spoil our relationship.

Last edited by Aurelia; 02/19/08 09:52 PM.
Page 8 of 30 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 29 30

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.